Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omega races
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to this, I have to say that just because it has been discussed elsewhere does not necessarily mean that post has been seen or read. I participate in in over 15 different phpbb bulletin boards that use these formats. One of the things that sometimes tends to get overlooked is one's tone in the communication. I bring this up because your tone in your post:

Bolo_MK_XL wrote:
A thought best kept to yourself Laughing --- SVC made his thoughts on the two boards/systems known --- more likely to lose the phpbb than discus---
even with the emoticon can be perceived as hostile. You might not have intended it to sound that way but that is how it can present itself.

Because I participate in so many other discussion boards on a wide variety of different topics ranging from Disc Jockeys to Emergency First Responders and working with kids I woud like to suggest that a previous post made by someone else, if it is being referenced be quoted and provided in the responses. The reason for that is that not everybody has read the other posts or even saw them. It's nearly impossible to be able to read all those other posts especially if a person wasn't privy to that particular conversation to begin with. This way the understanding would be better and any rulings or conversations made previously would be better understood by all.

SVC may have made his thoughts on it known on this but if a reference to that in a quote was made, a reader could go to it and see what exactly he said. Cole's thoughts on this are not standing out anywhere saying that this is the deal. I have not seen this as an announcement or a sticky and if this was said some time ago, the likelyhood of anybody going back to dig for it is close to nil.

I believe what you said and I'm not going to doubt it was said, it sounds like something he would do, but it could keep coming up again if it's not talked about and referenced. If it is a case closed, make it a sticky and post it for everybody to see, so it has some attention drawn to it and it would help keep it from coming up repeatedly. sometimes somethings need to be repeated to be refreshed and brought back up to speed.

I had been out of the game for over 8 years. A lot has come out, a lot has happened and there are going to be things I'm not privy to. My last edition of Captain's Log was # 17 , so anything discussed in later editions of it, I won't know anything about.
Please understand I am just trying to help.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I think you got a little long winded with you reply to Bolo. That is part of the problem between reading Forums and talking to people. Tone of conversation is lost. Bolo was keeping it light as people who have read his post in the past would have pick up on. Fair enough you haven't been around long enough to have picked up on it. On this phpbb forum just the highlights for SVC dislikes of a non Discus based Forums are located here.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1569

There is more about it over on the legacy boards if you really want to know let me know and I will peck around and see if I can find the thread covering the Discus Crisis.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
MikeBurke
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do apologize, I didn't mean to be long winded or to sound like I was being mean or anything because that was not my intent. I'm not anybody with an axe to grind. And I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. Actually the whole thing comes down to this, and I've said this to many people worldwide. It's just a matter of preferences, not about who has the bigger Schwartz when using a bulletin board. Now in SFB, it's usually about who has the bigger ship or better ship but that's to be determined on the hex map. I've got a lot of catching up to do, if I missed something please help me get there.

Mike Burke
SFB since '84
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, theres a lot to keep up with, Discus Board is extensive --

Takes time to catch up on any new subject/endeavor when you first get interested, then theres a lot more than just the games represented on both boards --

Nothing wrong with just reading the portions that interest you --

On either board its a definite that someone will tell you when your mistaken, answer any question you have, pass on any advice they think you need Smile

Welcome aboard
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people like PHP, and some like Discus (I for one) and we plan to continue supporting BOTH because some like each one.

PHP is the most common BBS around. Hosting companies love it because it has low processing load. Discus is vastly superior in some features (including the two or three most critical ones which PHP simply cannot do it at all). From the point of view of somebody RUNNING a BBS, Discus requires about 1/10th of the work for me to handle the same number of messages. The Discus BBS has ten or twenty times the messages and if PHP had that many it would be all but unworkable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: