Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drone Minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shauneroo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Drone Minis Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking to get some drone minis for FC. I think I recall seeing somewhere that someone used model aircraft missiles for this purpose? If so which ones would you recommend?

Also, plasma torpedoes. Anyone have a good mini solution for these?

Thanks in advance.
drwibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Scoutdad posted a previous solution to the drones using 1/300th aircraft ordnance, and plastic pins for the plasmas. Just can't find the thread at the moment...

The only plasma counters I'm aware of are from Rattlehead Games in their Ninja Magic/With Hostile Intent range, which also contains missiles and torpedoes.

I have a bag of plastic missiles that I got in a "travel battleships" game from a Pound Shop which I'm planning to use as drones, very cheap, and the bag has more drones than I ever hope to meet or need to launch!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Drones, I use C-in-C brand Soviet air-to-air missiles. For a photo of the painted version, see the links in my signature, below:

For Plasma Torps, I use "Plastic Sequin Pins". I found a bag on ebay several years ago. I got 1000 pins for less than a dollar. Unfortunately, I don't think these are produced any longer as no one has been able to find them in recent years. Another (albeit OOP) alternative is the "Fireball spell effect" miniature from KenzerCo's Hackmaster miniatures line. I have about half a dozen packs of these, but like so many other things - they are on my "to do" list.

On a brighter note, SVC has been working with Todd over at Ninja Magic for a while now and plans are to release a SFB/FC specific version of the Drone / Plasma Torp / DefSat / Shuttle / Stinger / Mine miniature... it's just a matter of when?
shauneroo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, incredibly helpful as usual.
atomic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have set aside all the GW Hunter/Killer missles from my bits box for that purpose.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the With Hostile Intent guy, Todd, is doing up some figs for FedCommander/SFB which includes both drones and plasma torps (and fighters of various races). Though not 100% sure.

Not sure when any product would see the light of day though.
John Schneder II
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shauneroo,

We use a flechette mounted to a magnet. It looks a lot like a one-inch long steel arrow. We painted them in different colors, but putting them on a base of some sort would allow you to number them. I got them in bulk from a company named "Cheaper Than Dirt". I had to buy a one pound package. This netted me around 900 of them, far more than I could use. I don't know what shipping would be to where you are.
For plasmas we made a roughly plasma-shaped blob of Sculpy clay. Sculpy is an oven-bake clay: you make what you want out of it, bake it for 15 mins. and its solid. Then we painted them in various colors and numbered them.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JS II, you got a pic of the flechette? If yes, could email me the pic?

I have been looking for something to make drones out of and I couldnt find anything at my local hardware store.
John Schneder II
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two pics of our flechette drone minis, one with them loose (you can see the strip magnet attached to the bottom),

and one with them on one of our 'drone stack' stands.

The stand is made from a normal black plastic base with a piece of metal strip going up allowing us to attach the magnets to it. The shield grid sort of thing you see attached to the drone stack base is for finding the center for range and movement purposes (the black line) and showing the FA arc (the red lines) for tracking purposes.
shauneroo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look really good.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever use of the magnets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: