Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Academy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Academy Reply with quote

In a couple of weeks' time, Battlegroup Exeter will be doing a demo of Fed Commander, hopefully using the Academy set.

So I can get my head around it, please can someone tell me what ships come in Academy; I know there's four, but which ones are they?

And does Academy have the large counters and hexes or just the small ones? I'd think that the larger stuff would recruit players more easily because they look so much better....

Also, I know you can upgrade Academy to Klingon Border with 'Graduation', so does Academy come with the full countersheet, or is there a special Academy countersheet and the rest comes with KB?
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: wow, I get to ANSWER Reply with quote

Academy has four ships:

Fed Heavy Crusier
Gorn Battlecruiser
Roluamn King Eagler Cruiser
Kingon D7 Battlecruiser

Only the small counters and mapsheet are included, and only a partial counter set just to cover these ship's needs.

If I might share a piece of advice/request:

I grew up with board games and have nothing against them, but the miniatures are so much more impressive. A demo with minis, with the board game handy might be even more attractive.

Rocky
________
MFLB VAPORIZER

Last edited by rockyr on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From personal experience:
Demo'ing with well painted minis is nice... very nice; but...
Be sure you let everyone know what does and doesn't come in the boxed set.

I've demo'ed FC using my miniatures several times and even encouraged some people to purchase it, but one gentleman was vry upset to find that his $60 purchase of Klingon border didn't include any of the really well painted miniatures that he had just been playing with. And not only would he have to buy them separately (at more expense than the boxed game itself), but he'd have to paint them, too.
He was not a happy camper! Crying or Very sad
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gentlemen.

In that case, then, a compromise may be in order. The demo is for my FLGS, and as far as I know he's providing the kit.

So then, if we demo KB straight out of the box, using the 1" counters, that would give a pleasant visual effect while still using the provided components.

However, I may well draw the line at using only the single marker pen that comes with the set Smile

Y'see the problem for me using my set is that it occupies several drawers and many of the components are not still in their original sets. Re-compiling the contents of KB, for example, would be a pretty big undertaking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: