Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockyr
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: points Reply with quote

As a game dsigner myself, I am interested in the process used to determine point values, especially fleet vs sqdn scales (when there can be a great deal of difference in the difference between ship types in the two scales). Is there a set formula some where? x per phaser 1, y br hull box? Anything the designer(s) would like to share?

Rocky
________
Clear trichomes

Last edited by rockyr on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading somewhere that SVC et al. do indeed have a formula for point values for ships, at least to get a ballpark number.

And I also remember that if you were to find out where and what it was, you would be the next guest of honor at the Kzinti dinner table... Shocked

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, apparently the formula is somewhat arcane. They're probably keeping it secret in order to prevent people picking it to bits Smile

Even then, I tend to think of point values as being somewhat approximate - although I realise that is not really what your question asked.
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm sure that somewhere, ADB adn crew have a formula for calcuting BPV... like Paul stated, it's only going to get you close (and they're not about to release it and have everyone of us showing how our favorite ship was mis-calculated and the BPV needs to be dropped). It's easy to say a Ph-1 is wirth 5 pts, a Ph-2 is worth 3 points, a Photon 8, a Disruptor 7 nd a range 15 disruptor is only 5 points... but that doesn't even begin to handle the way the ship as a whole functions in combat, both alone and as part of a fleet.

I've been invloved in enough of the playtesting to know that many times a ship is intially released as XX BPV, but during playtest you find that it can't complete with similar ships (or vice versa) and the BPV is adjusted... then after more playtesting, it may be adjusted again.
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that where TLAR comes in, Scoutdad? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: