Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Booter 91

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asguard101
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Booter 91 Reply with quote

What is meant by "The Franz Joseph Ships", for this booster?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main source materials for Star Fleet Battles (and the Star Fleet Universe including Federation Commander) was the Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph Designs. That volume included four ships: What we know as the unrefitted versions of the Federation DN, CA, DD, SC, and Tug.

Apparently, ADB has a licensing deal with FJD that governs the use of those five ships. So, each time one of those five ships appears in an ADB product, FJD is owed licensing fees. Also apparently, the exact ships in issue are the unrefitted DN and unrefitted CA (which is why the various DN and CA variants exist in Federation Commander already) and any version of the DD, SC, or Tug (which is why no version of these ships yet exist in Federation Commander).

The idea behind Booster 91: The Franz Joseph Ships is to put all of the affected ships into a single product. So, as a high point, the Booster will include the unrefitted (Middle Years) DN, unrefitted (Middle Years) CA, the fully refitted DD, the fully refitted SC, and the fully refitted Tug. And a couple other variations too fill it out. That way we can have the FJD ships added into Federation Commander with full ship cards, but the licensing issues are all handled in a single product.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
asguard101
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info. One follow up Question: Is booster 91 intened for FC, BoM, or Mixed?
rockyr
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: now I am confused again Reply with quote

The TOS Enterprise (based on the FJ designs?) will be in booster 91?

What CA will be in Briefing 2?

Since McMasters did the "middle" D7, that will be in Briefing 2?

Is the Communique 37 Romulan War Eagle the Middle Years cruiser?

Rocky
________
Ferrari 166 s history

Last edited by rockyr on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: now I am confused again Reply with quote

rockyr wrote:

Rocky

The CA may be the same ship Briefing #2 is a Paper Book, and Booster #91 is a Booster of laminated Cards.

Or it could be the FJD CA is in Booster #91 and a CAR is in the Middle Year Book. You have to remember that there are about 9 different versions of just the Fed CA when you start counting the refit and mismatched Refits. FJD seems to only key off of the original Fed CA that had Weaker Shields, no Rear Phaser 1s, no 360 Degree Phaser 3s, no Drone Racks, and Auxiliary Power Reactors instead of Auxiliary Warp Reactors.

As far as Klingons go the ship we have in FedCom is actually a D7BK. The Middle Year's D7 has if I remember correctly. No Anti Droness, All Phaser 1s are replaced with Phaser 2s, Disrupters have a short range,Shieldss 3 and 5 areweakerr and Shield 4 is even weaker still. Once again there are about 6 or 7 different versions of the D7 with a mismatch of different Refits.

As for the Romulans The War Eagle in Comm #37 is the one in the Romulan Border set. So, I doubt we will not see that particular card in the Middle Years but, a Straight up Warp refit of the War Bird might be. What it will look like we will just have to wait and see.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: now I am confused again Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
FJD seems to only key off of the original Fed CA that had Weaker Shields, no Rear Phaser 1s, no 360 Degree Phaser 3s, no Drone Racks, and Auxiliary Power Reactors instead of Auxiliary Warp Reactors.

The original SFB Fed CA didn't even have the APRs; that was the command cruiser variant [on the same SSD].

The Fed CA had 6xP-1, for which there was a 'blind spot' in the RA arcs, with the exception of the hexrow immediately behind the ship.

It had four photons, and 30 Warp and 4 Impulse. Shields were the same as the FC Fed CA, iirc.

Then what happened was that as players submitted new ships - and we're talking 30 years ago here - they used the Fed CA [or sometimes the CC] as a 'basis' for their new ship designs for other races. And they added 'just one more' phaser-3, or 'just another four boxes to each shield'. This introduced a 'creeping' escalation of the capability of a standard Heavy Cruiser, so that eventually the Fed CA was 'left in the dust' as I think SVC once put it.

Therefore the Fed CA refits were created - more power, more weapons etc. And it needed them too Smile

So it's not surprising that the FJD Fed CA is almost lost in the mists of time. Almost, but not quite - there are those who remember Wink
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: now I am confused again Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
As far as Klingons go the ship we have in FedCom is actually a D7BK. The Middle Year's D7 has if I remember correctly. No Anti Droness, All Phaser 1s are replaced with Phaser 2s, Disrupters have a short range,Shieldss 3 and 5 areweakerr and Shield 4 is even weaker still. Once again there are about 6 or 7 different versions of the D7 with a mismatch of different Refits.

D7K, actually. The 'K'-series refits included the changes in the 'B'-series refits.

And the 'B' refit changed the drone racks from "a couple of launchers using the same shuttle bay" (and only able to fire one rack per turn) to a pair of dedicated launchers that could fire once per turn from each rack.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: now I am confused again Reply with quote

asguard101 wrote:
Cool, thanks for the info. One follow up Question: Is booster 91 intened for FC, BoM, or Mixed?

Booster 91 is Federation Commander. Note that anything that works in Federation Commander will, by definition, work with BoM. It will include some ships that are Middle Years (DN, CA, DDM, DD) and ships that are for the base General War setting (full DD, DDG/DDL, Tug).

rockyr wrote:

There will be no pure CA in Briefing #2. By definition, any Middle Years ship published in Booster 91 will not appear in Briefing #2. Therefore, the Federation DN, CA, DD, and DDM will appear in Booster 91. Briefing #2 will list those ships as available for use, but not provide a ship card for them. (Note that the CAR will be included, but it isn't the pure FJD Federation CA.)

(As a general note, if a ship that belongs in Briefing #2 is already published somewhere else, then that ship will be listed in Briefing #2, but only with a reference to where the existing ship card can be found.)

Quote:

I have no clue what you are asking. In SFB terms, the base D7 (with no B or K refits) will be included in Briefing #2.

Quote:

Not exactly. The Communique 37 War Eagle includes a rear phaser refit that was not present on the Middle Years ships. Therefore, the Briefing #2 War Eagle will not have those phasers present. (Yes, that is a very minor difference. But, since these are paper ship cards, I thought it would be acceptable to include despite that minor change.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: now I am confused again Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:

Quote:

I have no clue what you are asking. In SFB terms, the base D7 (with no B or K refits) will be included in Briefing #2.

Mike - I think he's referring to the old Michael McMaster D-7 blueprints (which were a reference for the development of SFB, IIRC).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: