Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prime Directive and Star Fleet Battle Force boards?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Amarillo Design Bureau Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Prime Directive and Star Fleet Battle Force boards? Reply with quote

Hi!

Since the Fed Commander site has sections put aside for PD and SFBF, as well as these boards for FC fans to use, could it not be an idea to open sections up for the other two featured games?

They could either have sub-boards in this section, or have their own sections alongside the current boards.

Gary
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read somewhere that each system will get its own website. I could be wrong though.
Vanessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Prime Directive and Star Fleet Battle Force boards? Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Hi!

Since the Fed Commander site has sections put aside for PD and SFBF, as well as these boards for FC fans to use, could it not be an idea to open sections up for the other two featured games?

They could either have sub-boards in this section, or have their own sections alongside the current boards.

Gary

Gary~

SVC is trying to keep SFB separate from the FC site, but I do believe that we will be adding PD to this site in the future. We've been doing so much, it's all coming, it just takes a little time. In the future, SVC may change his mind on wanting to try and keep SFB separate from the FC site. Time will tell on that one. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Cool
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, I didn't mean SFB - I meant the card game Star Fleet Battle Force (which is given its own section on the FC website).

Good to hear that PD is on the way - that is one game which needs more exposure among Trek fans (many of whom are less keen on the battle aspect of FC and are more into 'strange new worlds' - right up PD's alley!)

Gary
Vanessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Yes, by all means, if you'd like to talk about the card game...yes, go right ahead. Very Happy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha - not quite what I was getting at, but I suspect you don't need me to spell it out for you!

Gary
sinister
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might like prime directive. I assume all the same restrictions are in that game with the license?

Like could there be stats for Kirk or Spock, or is that not part of the agreement?
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like could there be stats for Kirk or Spock, or is that not part of the agreement?

Oh, they're most definently part of the agreement: ADB agrees to never use those names in any fiction story or scenario background, and Paramount agrees to not send fifty lawyers to ADB's office. Laughing

Seriously, that's pretty much how it is. If you'll notice, the only time ADB ever mentions The Big "E" is in the list of ship names. You'll never see that particular ship (and perhaps not even any other ship named in ST:TOS/ST:TAS) ever used anywhere else.

The two histories diverge widely because ADB created SFU history outline of the Great General War, etc., well before Paramount went off on their own path with ST:TMP, ST:TNG, and everything else. (We won't mention what they did with ST:E.) Wink

Now, if you want >my< spin on why things are so different, take a read on my short story, TIMELINES, that explains not only why the histories are different, but also why a certain particular ship & crew aren't ever seen in the Great General War. Cool

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garth's story is probably the most cleverly written story I've read. Pity it would not be legal for us to publish it.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would counter that far from being a noose arond the SFU, the licence (in my view) has become a great boon, in terms of where it allows ADB to go in terms of background and ship design.

Not only are they not restricted by what has been put up on screen (which is fair enough for its own continuity) when working out timelimes, technologies and so forth, they have been able to take the TV races in their own direction - and expand the setting far into areas (like Omega) that no other Trek-related setting can go.

If anything, the only difference I would hope to see would be to allow ship designs from TV or movie presentations which fit into the established SFU timeline (such as from Enterprise - for the likes of the Vulcan and Andorian ships, and the NX-01 herself - or from the original cast movies - for the Excelsior, refit Constitution and so forth.) But your mileage may vary...

If you are new to this universe, have a look for the many races and ships that are unique to the setting - and not just the likes of the ISC, Lyrans and Hydrans. Just wait until you see Omega and the Magellanics! Or if you look at the era which shows the dawn of Star Fleet as an organisation, check out the Paravians and Carnivons - and how this universe's Tholians came a long way to give the Klingons a major headache!

(If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, have a look here to get you started.)

Gary
John Carter
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a long term trek fan, and only discovered the Star Fleet universe recently, and I am blown away at how amazing it is!

It's interesting to see how TOS was taken and added to and expanded, as opposed to TNG which dropped most of what the old show was. It's just interesting to see how two seperate universe's have evolved from the same source material!
sinister
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading timelines right now!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
Now, if you want >my< spin on why things are so different, take a read on my short story, TIMELINES, that explains not only why the histories are different, but also why a certain particular ship & crew aren't ever seen in the Great General War. Cool

Nice little solution. I like it. And effectively presented, too. I also like the way Ki-- err, the captain, blunders into his own death. Nice touch.

Now, if there was just a way for SVC to insert a little throwaway line about the disappearance of a certain Federation Heavy Cruiser in Y168 ...
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then the question would arise as to whether the Vincennes-class starship in Module X1 is a re-naming of an existing ship, or new construction...

Gary
Captain Rufus
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got Gurps Prime Directive this week. I am pretty impressed so far, even if some of the alien race art feels a little flat. A shame some of the Starfleet Command 2 character designs couldn't be bothered...

I'd like to see a section for the game here sometime soon. I have a nice canon abusing Orion Pirates campaign already floating around in my brain that I need to subject.. err show to folks.. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Amarillo Design Bureau Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: