Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

saucer rings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockyr
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: saucer rings Reply with quote

I have ordered command cruisers with the great detail. Their mere existance explains some of the great paint jobs I have seen on fed vessels, with great rings. I wondered how they were such perfect circles (compasses and pens? I thought) until I saw the new saucers! Ah ah!

Still... not easy.

My current plan to give the rings some definition is to use a black 2mm drafting pen after the first coat of white (over a Tamyia fine grey primer). The second, thinner, coat of white should let the pen show through a bit for the necesary definition, I hope.

I also had some luck with some pale silver highlights on my last crusier, giving the white even more variation. A little grey wash has also helped.

Any other recommendations for getting the rings to show without looking like target rings (clearly the wrong impression to make!).

I am going to use that same pen to freehand the lettering and numbering. I have had success with that before.

Rocky

PS - shading the Klingon's grey is so much easier...

R
________
Yamaha yp400 majesty history

Last edited by rockyr on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The channels on the CC saucer (and the DW) are deep enough that they don't need much help. They go into shadow pretty much on their own.

I just hit mine with a light wash of dark gray tinted "Magic Wash" (Future floor polish and water).
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you just brush on this magic wash and let it dry, or wipe it off?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brush it on and let it dry. It's more water than Future - the formula I use is HERE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: