Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to lure in players in Santa Cruz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Local Groups & Retailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahatmamanic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Trying to lure in players in Santa Cruz Reply with quote

I live in Santa Cruz, CA. On sunday this weekend I went up to the local game store in Scotts Valley, and roped three people into playing a game of Federation Commander. One person had played SFB in the distant past, and the other two were brand new to the franchise.

I only have Klingon Border and Booster 0, so I set up the (fleet scale) game as a Fed CA and the Kzin cruiser against a Klingon D6 and D7, with each of us controlling one ship, dueling in open space. The game went pretty well and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Of the three people, one (the guy who played a long time ago) liked it a lot. Another (a teenager) enjoyed it, said it felt very old-school, but that old-school is a good thing. The third enjoyed the game but said the learning curve seemed a bit too steep for him.

We played with most of the full rules, but I didn't introduce them to transporters, shuttles, plasma, etc.

I would love to get more people playing and drum up some interest in the game, so I was hoping some of you might have suggestions as to how I should get people involved? The "scenario" I built was by no means perfect, but it was what I could wrangle up that would give all four people roughly equal-power, direct fire ships with what I have.

What would you all suggest I do in the future when trying to teach a small group of people?

Are there one or two boosters I should buy that would round out my fleet to a good level where I can better teach the game on an even footing for everyone? (Over time I want to buy most of the products, but I can't spend all that money up front.)

Are there any particular scenarios, setups, methods, or formats you all find successful at teaching the game quickly and effectively, and drawing people in?

If I managed to get a local group going, is there any support from the company for local groups?

Does FC have any good campaign rules (and/or accessories?) I could use to set up a campaign in my FLGS? Having a big, color campaign map on the wall of the store could do wonders for drumming up interest.

Well, any help or advice anyone could provide would be appreciated.
Vanessa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to register your FLGS for OPL... Wink Once I get the information, I send the store bonus cards (you can't get anywhere else except OPL), event posters to announce tournaments, etc, and other marketing materials for FC and SFB.
mahatmamanic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like it would be a great start. Can you point me to where the information, requirements, sign up info, etc for OPL is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Local Groups & Retailers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: