Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek Roleplaying Game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Star Trek Roleplaying Game? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been looking at ADM's other products and the Star Trek RPG caught my eye. However, there isnt even a review for this game at boardgamegeek.

Can anyone with experience with this game tell me what it's like and how it plays? I've actually wanted to try some RPGs as a break from wargaming but D&D theme seriously did not appeal to me. A star trek theme RPG seems perfect.

Thanks

P.S. - One note, it seems for the newest version of the RPG, there only seems to only have the Klingon and Romulan books, are there plans to release source books for Kziniti, Gorn, and other races?

Last edited by DorianGray on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Trek Roleplaying Game? Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:
Hi,

Well, hello again.

Quote:
I've been looking at ADM's other products ...

I presume that was a typo and that you meant "ADB".

Quote:
... and the Star Trek RPG caught my eye. However, there isnt even a review for this game at boardgamegeek.

That's okay. They don't have one for GURPS, either.

Not that's it's the best source in the world, did you check out Wiki?

Quote:
Can anyone with experience with this game tell me what it's like and how it plays? I've actually wanted to try some RPGs as a break from wargaming but D&D theme seriously did not appeal to me. A star trek theme RPG seems perfect.

Well, yes and no. I have it (and just abole everything ADB has published) but never played it as the local groups are into Warhammer.

The first version of PD was "broken", in my opinion. The engine (base rules set) didn't make a lot of sense in some areas. And things were locked down a little tooo much as far as what characters one could use.

See, it makes no sense at all the the ship's captain, first officer, chief engineer, doctor, half the rest of the bridge crew should beam down together (with the token Red Shirt or two), leaving the ship in the capable hands of Ensign Snuffy.

::anyone that's been in the military and stationed oveseas has heard of Private Snuffy --- I just gave him a promotion::

At any rate, when SVC issued the basic background for PD, he set it up such that the player-characters HAD to be part of a specialized Prime Team. One could NOT play the bridge crew, not without adding some house-rules for their skill set.

The next edition of Prime Directive threw out the engine and "borrowed" the engine form Steve Jackson Games GURPS. (All the royaties have been paid for this, of course.) As the GURPS engine is well known and stable, the "broken" parts of the first version are long gone. And the players are free to play whatever character they want, even if it doesn't make any sense in the world for the captain to leave the ship at every pit stop.

If there's any one mistake in PD as published, I personally think it's that there aren't stats for the Red Shirts. As SVC points out, the "ship's security" function in Star Fleet Universe is performed by Marines, rightfully so. That makes sense, from a military point of view. But I also believe that they should have included Red Shirts for those players without the SFB background.

Quote:
P.S. - One note, it seems for the newest version of the RPG, there only seems to only have the Klingon and Romulan books, are there plans to release source books for Kziniti, Gorn, and other races?

They're in the works. SVC doesn't do RPGs, so he's farmed the writing out to those that do. It takes time. If you've had any experience in writing for RPGs, feel free to contact ADB and ask where you can help. I'm sure he'd be willing to look at your resume`. Be forewarned that SVC can be a little (heck, a LOT) "gruff" via e-mail. If you're too thin-skined, you'll get your feelings hurt. It's not personal; it's just the way he is.

Quote:
Or is this just a dead product line.

Now, see? This is why people on this board find you so endearing. One can't wander around the boards posting stuff like that and not expect people to think you're a troll. Seriously, dude, you need to learn to edit your thoughts and/or dial back on the attitude. At least proof your words before posting. If this was meant to be a legitimate question, you probably could have found a less abrasive way to phrase it. As it is, it -looks- like a back-handed insult, and a deliberate one at that. I really do hope it wasn't meant that way it sounds.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Trek Roleplaying Game? Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
::anyone that's been in the military and stationed oveseas has heard of Private Snuffy --- I just gave him a promotion::

I do believe that that is Airman Snuffy Very Happy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't SVC who decided everybody in PD1 had to be a member of a prime team; it was Tim Olsen, and he's not around any more.

GURPS PD and PD20 and PD20M allow you to be anything. Bridge crew. Investigative journalist. Pirate. Spy. Mercenary. Pastry Chef.

The product line is far from dead, but since I was in charge of and I don't do RPGs, not much progress happened. I hired Jean to be in charge of it, and she's already released one book (PD20M) and is halfway through John Sickel's "feds" book which will release for GURPS and D20; John will then move on (to Orion Pirates probably). Loren has written most of the Tholians book (not sure what he will tackle next, maybe Gorns or Felines). We also have people converting all of the books to D6 and Savage Worlds and Fudge and Mongoose-Traveller. We'll do HERO when they do the new edition.
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, sounds like good stuff. Now hopefully to convince my local group to try this out.
Groknard
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased both the GURPS and d20Modern versions and have started to look them over. I don't think you can go wrong with either, though I'm leaning toward the GURPS version for actual play (I see it as easier to scale down and be more cinematic).

Keep in mind that if you purchase the d20M version, you'll need to have or purchase the OOP d20 Modern Core book. It took me a few tries to get that on eBay for under $20. Most online sellers want way too much for it (at least for me, because I have no other use for it).

Regarding BoardGameGeek, they rarely include RPGs in their database. Generally, only those that have a boardgame aspect (like the old Metagaming "Melee" and "Wizard" games) get reviewed at BGG. I'll be working on reviews for 4 PD books over the next few weeks, because they aren't even covered well over at RPGNet.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groknard wrote:
Keep in mind that if you purchase the d20M version, you'll need to have or purchase the OOP d20 Modern Core book. It took me a few tries to get that on eBay for under $20. Most online sellers want way too much for it (at least for me, because I have no other use for it).

Free online Hypertext version is here: http://www.12tomidnight.com/d20modernsrd/Home.php

Though it is missing how to generate abilities and the advancement chart, but those are easily found. Everything else is there.

Also, as an alternate check out this newer, 3rd party version of d20 Modern. Its a bit more cinematic and has more add ons than the d20Modern sourcebook, including a decent hit location system: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=bundle&b_id=31

PDF is only $8.

Update: I case anyone is wondering, the RPGObjects book has the advancement table. The difference is the license they were developed under. The d20Modern SRD is under the d20 license. You can't put how to generate abilities or advancement in them, only reference the Core Book I. The RPG Objects version is under the Open Gaming License, in that case you can include everything that is not product identity (place names, character names, etc.), but can't use the official d20 logo.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there's any one mistake in PD as published, I personally think it's that there aren't stats for the Red Shirts. As SVC points out, the "ship's security" function in Star Fleet Universe is performed by Marines, rightfully so. That makes sense, from a military point of view. But I also believe that they should have included Red Shirts for those players without the SFB background.

It's an RPG, the GM can change things around if he wants to. Just take the Marine template, add the GURPS "fire magnet" disadvantage, and you're good to go. Smile
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Star Trek Roleplaying Game? Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:

Are there no Masters at Arms aboard Starfleet ships and installations?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFU uses marines for masters at arms.

(I was a master at arms once at State Guard summer camp, which meant I got to walk around the whole day with a loaded M9 on my hip. The damn thing kept catching on door jams and chair arms.)
droberts441
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Star Trek Roleplaying Game? Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:
Hi,
I've been looking at ADM's other products and the Star Trek RPG caught my eye. However, there isnt even a review for this game at boardgamegeek.
BGG doesn't have RPG's, which is why it isn't there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: