Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starships "landing" on planets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Starships "landing" on planets Reply with quote

This is a "To Ask the Question Why?" about 2D5b. I'm posting here rather than Rules because I am not asking about the mechanics per se.
What I am curious to know is if "landing" on a planet or asteroid is limited to actual physical landing or also incudes a station keeping close orbit. Landing a Fed CA on a planetary surface presents obvious suspension of disbelief issues. Having the same starship parked in low geosynchronus orbit does not. Also having the "landed" ship parked in a low orbital spacedock or similar facility does not violate suspension of disbelief.

Of course it could be that as 2D5 notes that docking and landing procedures are usually scenario driven that "landing" is actual physical landing and is limited to shuttlecraft and starships with appropriate design (landing gear).

I have no problem allowing any starship to "land" once, it's taking off again that could be problematic. Twisted Evil

Just some idle musing about the "reality" behind the game mechanics.
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Starships "landing" on planets Reply with quote

dave wrote:
This is a "To Ask the Question Why?" about 2D5b. I'm posting here rather than Rules because I am not asking about the mechanics per se.
What I am curious to know is if "landing" on a planet or asteroid is limited to actual physical landing or also incudes a station keeping close orbit. Landing a Fed CA on a planetary surface presents obvious suspension of disbelief issues. Having the same starship parked in low geosynchronus orbit does not. Also having the "landed" ship parked in a low orbital spacedock or similar facility does not violate suspension of disbelief.

Of course it could be that as 2D5 notes that docking and landing procedures are usually scenario driven that "landing" is actual physical landing and is limited to shuttlecraft and starships with appropriate design (landing gear).

I have no problem allowing any starship to "land" once, it's taking off again that could be problematic. Twisted Evil

Just some idle musing about the "reality" behind the game mechanics.

Star Fleet Battles has extensive rules about what ships can and cannot land on planets. For example, most Orion ships can land and take off a will, while the troop carrier version of the Fed Old Light Cruiser could land, but needed a lot of help getting back up, and most ships having the 'controlled crash' option only. In the case of FedCommander, they were trying to reduce the rules load by just giving a blanket allowance, rather than having players having to check ship descriptions and annexes and such.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely prefer the simplicity of the FC approach here.

Considering the vulnerability of a landed starship I don't expect to see one very often without a very good reason.

The mental picture of a Fed CA parked on the ground with a long boarding ramp is a "cute" one though...
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voyager show pretty much wiped out the need for distinction on this when Voyager itself landed on a planet.

Also, realize that for game purposes a ship lands on its side. So don't think on this too hard.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remeber in some notes that where published that originally (in star trek) the intetion was for the ships to be able to land, but that would prove too expensive to do well so got dropped/little use.
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that as well. Starship/shuttlecraft landing on planet=expensive special effect. Crew members beam down to planet by transporter=cheap special effect. Then they added a shuttlecraft anyway when a script/story required it.

Several storylines that depended on malfunctioning transporters could have been resolved by the use of shuttles.

Starships landing on their sides - watch that gravity change when exiting...it's a doozy.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starship landing on a planet = Crash Landing

Simple.
toltesi
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Lands on its Side?!?! Reply with quote

Laughing

I'm sorry, but lands on its side? Come on...how? Everyone would be walking on the walls.
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Lands on its Side?!?! Reply with quote

toltesi wrote:
Laughing

I'm sorry, but lands on its side? Come on...how? Everyone would be walking on the walls.

And when they are in a party mood, they land it on the back and play Lionel Riche songs....

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lands on its Side?!?! Reply with quote

toltesi wrote:
Laughing

Well, I did say to not think on it too hard. Wink

The problem is that is the only way to make the game mechanics without making new rules. Eh, it is what it is.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
toltesi
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lands on its Side?!?! Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:

The problem is that is the only way to make the game mechanics without making new rules. Eh, it is what it is.

Ahh, now I get it...sorry for being a bit slow to see the rationale behind your post.

I also agree with you completely in the spirit of keeping FC "playable".

Thanks for clarrifying.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remeber, if the need came they could activate artificial gravity Wink .
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Remeber, if the need came they could activate artificial gravity Wink .

The ship lying on its side would count as such a need, in my book Wink
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But "artificial gravity" only works inside the ship.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
But "artificial gravity" only works inside the ship.

Yeah, that's what I meant; if it's lying on its side the they'll need the ship's gravity to override the planet's gravity and thereby stop the swimming pool spilling into the theatre. Well, on Fed ships, anyway Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: