Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct Fire Drone Rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing around with the DFD Rules and the Pleiades Turkey Shoot (SH17). It seems the Klinks will never win with DFD Rules. Also without some kind of Close in Fighter Defence System (Chaffs or RALADS) the ZYs just don't have the legs to stay around. Anyone else want to take a look at this and see if its just me or if the scenario just will not work in FedCom?

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: DFD Reply with quote

I have to agree with Dal...I think chaff packs would come in handy. I also think since we use them now, concerning tactics and time, we would use them then, concerning tactics and time. The Stingers already have boxes for the chaff packs, so the addition is not stretching the details that far. Maybe this could be included in BoM?

Additionally, BG Acadiana is going to play out SH17 and give feedback here in a couple of weeks.
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this in the playing without drones thread, but my idea for a direct fire drone is merely reducing the accuracy by 1 from what the accuracy is for a Photon and the power is 12 instead of 8. No energy is used, but you can run out.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with making Drones just straight up Direct Fire Weapons with Charts and Reduction of Damage for Range you really have changed the whole flavor and feel of what drones are for.

Drones really server 3 purposes in the Star Fleet Univers;
1) They take away your opponets ability to manuver by forcing him to go a certain direction or pay a fairly steep price in Damage.
2) They tie up your opponets Weapon System allowing you to close and use your own Direct Fire Weapons more effectively.
3) Provide lower powered ships with a Weapon System that has to at least be considered before you can be attacked and smashed right through.

The problem with any Direct Fire Drone Rules is going to be how to keep a balance or at least a nod to what Drones are and how they will fit into the FedCom System. To be honest in our games we are leaning heavily to scraping the FedCom system and BoM rules and just plug the SFB Rules right back into FedCom.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
The problem with making Drones just straight up Direct Fire Weapons with Charts and Reduction of Damage for Range you really have changed the whole flavor and feel of what drones are for.

Drones really server 3 purposes in the Star Fleet Univers;
1) They take away your opponets ability to manuver by forcing him to go a certain direction or pay a fairly steep price in Damage.
2) They tie up your opponets Weapon System allowing you to close and use your own Direct Fire Weapons more effectively.
3) Provide lower powered ships with a Weapon System that has to at least be considered before you can be attacked and smashed right through.

Completely and totally agree!

Dal Downing wrote:
The problem with any Direct Fire Drone Rules is going to be how to keep a balance or at least a nod to what Drones are and how they will fit into the FedCom System. To be honest in our games we are leaning heavily to scraping the FedCom system and BoM rules and just plug the SFB Rules right back into FedCom.

Okay, I got lost at the donut shoppe on this. Can you explain in more detail, especially the why?
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point wasn't making the game better, merely making it doable for people who don't like regular drones like the original poster.
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess I have not read through all six pages of this thread, so I may have missed something.

Is there a work round for the fast-receeding target situation yet? If the DFD route is adopted (TBH I don't really like it) could you base the drones' range on the speed of the target? e.g.

Target base speed 24 = max launch range 4
Target base speed 16 = max launch range 8
Target base speed 8 = max launch range 12
Target base speed 0 = max launch range 16

An alternative that I prefer would be to treat drones as seeking weapons but make drone-armed fighters work in flights, whiich have to fire on the same impulse at the same ship (or enemy flight).

Admittedly, at present, non-Hydran carriers launch four fighters per impulse, but only three can fire out of the same hex...that may require tweaking.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: DFD Reply with quote

Been thinking about this ever since Battlegroup Acadiana tested the DFD rules as they stand right now. I have come to think a DFD need to be a Type VI drone fired at hyper velocity, thus the DFD. An ADD can fire at it on its way in. If the ADD misses, the drone hits, period. No phasers, no tractors, because it is moving so fast. But like always, a Type VI does 6 points of damage. The ADD should be allowed to fire at every, repeat, every DFD incoming, one firing at one DFD, hit or miss, it goes to the next incoming missile.

This means that the only missiles fighters can carry are high velocity type VI missiles. This has continuity to the whys of the function of these missiles. This has the logic of why ships are afraid of the fighters, but can have a chance at survival.

Comments...questions?
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: