Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to play F&E with miniatures?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Is it possible to play F&E with miniatures? Reply with quote

FedCom is brilliant for miniatures but F&E is the real grand strategic scale game determining the fate of wars.

Has anyone tried adopting the FedCom miniatures for F&E? Any system anyone thought of?

-1 ship could represent a fleet and the ship counters placed in a placeholder box
- a custom map with larger hexes?
- I got nothing.

rofl
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure if anyone has tried, scoutdad has.
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorian,

I've tried to collect enough minis to play F&E with miniatures... the only problem is one of space - and EPA regulations regarding the amount of lead one can physically store in a small space.

Our current game has just over 10,000 units in play and we haven't even gotten to the "Attrition Unit" phase of the game.

As for using minis as fleet markers and the individual counters being in placeholder boxes... that's almost the way it currently works. Each race has a series of fleet charts with boxes for stacking the counters representing units in that fleet and a larger, fleet marker that gets moved across the table.
Theoretically, you could use a painted miniature... but you'd still have to have counters on the map for the small pinning fleets, the repair depots, the base stations, and the garrisoning units. So you'd end up with a few thousand counters on the map and 6 or 7 minis per empire.
All-in-all, it's probably better to stick with the counters.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is entirely possible, and the way to do it is to buy the $100 fleet boxes which are the lowest cost per ship. We offer 10% discounts to F&E players buying 25 or more fleet boxes.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Yes, it is entirely possible, and the way to do it is to buy the $100 fleet boxes which are the lowest cost per ship. We offer 10% discounts to F&E players buying 25 or more fleet boxes.

10% off!!!
<in Montgomery Durn's voice"
Ex - cellent!
</Montgomery Burns>
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scoutdad, didn't SVC creat this deal in honour of you?

If I have a good year I just may take him up on it...
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope... he create the "Bill-board" sized, Super-Dooper, Ulta-Mega, Extreme Sized, Large Scale Map for me. Shocked

Only $19,999.99 and you too can have your very own, miniatures sized F&E map!
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:

For moral thumping authoritarian's benefit I edited the following.

Wow $2,500? It'd take a real hardcore FedCom player to invest in that much money to try to play F&E with miniatures which is sadly out of most players of this hobby's hands. 2,500 is almost 2-3 months rent for me, crazyness.

The only way I see it working is to do a major overhaul of the game itself to involve less countes... wait btw isn't a FedCom version of F&E already in the works? Hopefully a simpler more streamlined version without using thousands of counters. I heard somewhere to except a new F&E in 2010.

Last edited by DorianGray on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:

Won't this be $2500? not to mention that will be MORE miniatures than one would ever need for a FedCom game.

Insane.

Yet again with that abrasive tone Dorian.

F&E was designed to be a sweeping grand strategic game that uses counters. Hundreds of them, all at the same time.

You asked if the game could use miniatures and received several honest and polite answers, including a detailed one from the game's designer about a discounted way to implement the game that way.

You respond with an insult, I assume because you don't like the answer.

Your comment about the potential for a streamlined strategic game in the future doesn't mitigate calling SVC or his customers insane (and yes that is what you did, even if it's not what you intended. "Internet" reads differently than speech).
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:
wait btw isn't a FedCom version of F&E already in the works? Hopefully a simpler more streamlined version without using thousands of counters. I heard somewhere to except a new F&E in 2010.

All we know is that it's been considered. If you look through the archives here, you'll occasionally find SVC saying that nothing (and I do mean nothing) about the game has been officially (or unofficially) announced.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:

Won't this be $2500? not to mention that will be MORE miniatures than one would ever need for a FedCom game.

Fed Fleet Boxes 1, 2, and 3
Klingon Fleet Box, B-10 Fleet Box
Romulan Fleet Box 1 and 2
Kzinti Fleet Box
Gorn Fleet Box
Tholian Fleet Box
Orion Fleet Box
Hydran Fleet Box (x2) - one for Fusion armed ships, one for Hellbores)
Andromedan Fleet Box
Lyran Fleet Box (x2) - one for the LDR
WYN Fleet Box
ISC Fleet Box
Seltorian Fleet box
Bases and Freighters Box...

That's 20 boxes without ever duplicating a single fleet box

Then you could add another Klingon box for use as Romulans (that's 21)
Add in another Fed, Klingon, and Romulan Fleet box (so you have more than one Fed CA and Klingon D7 miniature available) - that make 24
Then you add another box of your choice and you're at 25!

[Edit - That doesn't even go into the Battleships and Light / Heavy DNs that are only available in the squadron boxes... with I'm sure SVC and Co. would substitute for "Fleet Boxes" in this deal"]

If I didn't already have 6 or 7 hundred minis for Fed Com - I'd think this was a great deal.

Last edited by Scoutdad on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:
...not to mention that will be MORE miniatures than one would ever need for a FedCom game...

Yes. That probably is more minatures than any one would ever need in a single, Fed Comm game - but there are those among us (no names mentioned, of course) who like to play WYSIWYG Fed Comm...

In other words... it's not a D7C unless it has ALL of the weapons that a D7C has...
It's not a Fed Commnad Cruiser unless it's been modified to match the ship diagram...
and so on.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tweak mine to match variants too, but I'm nowhere in your league. When my collection grows up, it wants to be scoutdad's.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wanted enough minis to play F&E, so it hardly matters if 25 boxes of 24 ships is too many for FedComm. Two different games; two different questions.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Yet again with that abrasive tone Dorian.

We need to ask Eric if he can replace Dorian's avitar with a photo of a power sander. Smile

Steve Cole wrote:
He wanted enough minis to play F&E, so it hardly matters if 25 boxes of 24 ships is too many for FedComm.

Yeah, but is 600 ships enough for F&E?? Only if you're using them for fleet counters.

Scoutdad wrote:
If I didn't already have 6 or 7 hundred minis for Fed Com - I'd think this was a great deal.

Reminds me of a story a firend liked to tell. When he was stationed back east someplace in the Coast Guard, a bunch of Navy ROTC cadets from the local college dropped by their gaming group one day to watch a HARPOON battle in action.

The cadets got mouthy and challanged the group to a huge battle. One of the players responded that he had access to an indoor basketball court, so he'd bring his collection to fight everything the ROTCers could bring. "No, no, that's not fair. You all can bring everything you have," they told him.

So, the next week, the ROTCers about freeked out when the guy shows up with a pick-up truck full of boxes. They were out numbered two-to-one or worse. At first, they thought he brought everyone's collection from the whole group ... until they all started showing up with piles of boxes of their own. Twisted Evil

P.S> Dorian, ref: changing your avitar == IT'S A JOKE! Laughing

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: