Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Typical Map Size? Distance Between Start Positions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajerBlundor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Typical Map Size? Distance Between Start Positions? Reply with quote

What's the typical map size most people use as measured in hexes? Starting distance between ships as measured in hexes?

I know that much of this is scenario dependent but after reading several AARs it also looks like a lot of people play "duel type" scenarios between some number of equal point squadrons. It would seem that one would want at least 32 or so hexes between starting positions (extreme plasma range).

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To prevent the Feds from arming and/or overloading photons on Turn 1 and going too slow to allow any enemy from getting to them, many players start from 20 to 25 hexes apart.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard SFB map is 42 hexes long by 30 hexes high. The 3x2 map panel lay-out using the 5/8" hexes duplicates this. With ships starting opposite each other across the short direction, they are 30 hexes
(or so) apart.
If you use the larger hexes and the specified 3-high by 4-long layout, you are still starting 30 hexes apart. (The large hex panels are 10 hexes tall)

So 30 hexes or so is probably the typical, tournament duel type start.
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the large hexes and want to better match the set-up of the smaller hexes you can set up the large hex boards 4 high x 6 long.

Otherwise the arious scenarios can be mined for set-up configurations.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually set up scenarios for 26 hexes apart, but seriously, anything over 20 hexes is workable. Sure, 30 hexes is extreme plasma range, but do you seriously think if you launch at that range that I'm going to be there when it gets that far?
MajerBlundor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice!

Klingon Border and Romulan Border arrived yesterday, and Klingon/Romulan/Orion Attack today. (Woohoo!)

Based on comments here, a sample of online scenarios, and some experiments with the newly arrived toys it looks like 4x3 (large hex) and 3x2 (small hex) maps should be fine for most situations.

Thanks again!

Tim / MB
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
I usually set up scenarios for 26 hexes apart, but seriously, anything over 20 hexes is workable. Sure, 30 hexes is extreme plasma range, but do you seriously think if you launch at that range that I'm going to be there when it gets that far?

You ever get time for a game these days, Steve?
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things to keep in mind when selecting starting distances -

Maximum weapons range on all weapons is 25 hexes - i.e. the target ship must be within 25 hexes of the firing ship. The only possible exception is the plasma torpedo, which I'm not sure about (even drones will lose tracking if they get too far away).

Photon Torpedoes and Hellbores are multi-turn arming weapons that can be fired on the first turn if the arming ship makes certain setup choices (i.e. emptying the batteries to perform the first turn of arming before the game starts). Plasma torpedoes are ONLY available on the first turn if they're completed as a "Two-Turn-F" torpedo, meaning that full strength plasma torpedoes can't be fired until turn two and Plasma-F launchers can never fire on the first turn. Plasma-D racks work differently and ignore all of that, of course.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
.... and Plasma-F launchers can never fire on the first turn. Plasma-D racks work differently and ignore all of that, of course.

Nice summary, Junior. I have just one minor point - Plas-F's are always available on Turn 1 because the launchers are always kept loaded - very much like Plas-D's except that they don't need any energy at all to fire them on Turn 1.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point Kang.

Anyone who flies a plasma armed ship, read Rule (4J2e) very carefully. It just might save your life.

Anyone who flies against a plasma armed ship, do not read Rule (4J2e) before Impulse 1 of Turn 2. Twisted Evil
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
junior wrote:
.... and Plasma-F launchers can never fire on the first turn. Plasma-D racks work differently and ignore all of that, of course.

Nice summary, Junior. I have just one minor point - Plas-F's are always available on Turn 1 because the launchers are always kept loaded - very much like Plas-D's except that they don't need any energy at all to fire them on Turn 1.

Right. I should have known that.

Not sure what I was thinking.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do the large hexes, 3 boards horizontal, 2 boards vertical, and I start in 1 corner, my foe in the other with a floating map. But I agree with Steve that anything over 20 should be workable, we rarely fire anything but drones at that distance, and with a floating map it really doesn't matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: