Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Federation Academy and Graduation come in a box?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Does Federation Academy and Graduation come in a box? Reply with quote

Alright,

The reason I ask is I am planning to give my copy of Klingon Space to a friend and I'm planning to re-buy a copy. However, I also plan to get Romulan Space and I would like to store them in a box.

Does Academy and Graduation each come in their own seperate boxes like the box that came with Klingon Border? That way I could store contents of both in 1 and store Romulan Space in another.

Also just to confirm for me I won't be missing anything from Klingon Border if I get the Academy and the Graduation right?

Thanks.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Academy + Graduation = Klingon Border + a extra Romulian War Eagle and Gorn BC. You will not be missing anything.

If I remember right only Graduation in a box.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graduation is in a box. Academy is not (since we wanted to hold the cost down). Romulan Space and Klingon Space are not in boxes.

If you ask Leanna (sales@StarFleetGames.com) she will sell you an extra box. She does it now and then. We have some slightly banged up boxes from other games that are two inches thick she sells for people who want larger storage boxes. Some people buy several of the generic white boxes and put each empire in a separate box.
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SVC,

I guess I will order those extra boxes from Leena (I guess she the warehouse person or something) and print out my own paper slide-in covers for that for Klingon Border, etc.

Do you know what kind of paper was used for those slide-ins?

Thanks.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D,

Leanna is Steve's Wife. Be nice to her, for she let's Steve design games instead of making him go out and get a real job. Cool

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? hm, so all of this is a small family run business?

So just SVC and Leena designed everything and marketed everything? wow
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little more than that, but (I think) they only have four or five employees and one or two interns (of which I am not any). They also have a small army of volunteers who also help out (of which I am one).

But, yes, ADB is a small privately held business.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So just SVC and Leena designed everything and marketed everything? wow

SVC created ADB, designed Star Fleet Battles in the late 70s ---
It was marketed by another group Task Force Games (SVC had a falling out in the early 90s) -- Since it has been marketed and sold out of ADB --

Design is mostly by SVC, with input from a multitude of Players over 30 years --- SVC has the last word on what is or can be ---
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From WIKI, but not 100% accurate:

Quote:
Amarillo Design Bureau is a company which specializes in tactical and strategic board wargames. The company is a successor to Task Force Games, and is owned and operated by Steve and Leanna Cole, with partner Steve Petrick, and based in Amarillo, Texas. The company created and developed the series of games set in the Star Fleet Universe, under license from Paramount Pictures, which includes the tactical combat games Star Fleet Battles and Federation Commander, the strategic-level game Federation and Empire, the card-based tactical game Star Fleet Battle Force and the role-playing game Prime Directive, as well as the future General War strategic game system. They also produce a large series of miniatures under the Starline 2400 label, as well as the biannual Captain's Log magazine. Games developed by Amarillo Design Bureau have influenced other game designers such as Taldren, Inc. and they have been used in the development of some video games.

1) How come everyone here keeps forgetting to mention Petrick?? SFU would be but a hollow shell of itself without him.

2) WIKI says the ADB is "a succesor" of TFG. Not an accurate description. TFG was a game publisher, and ADB was one of, if not the main, game design companies that TFG used. TFG printed several other wargames, none of which really took off save perhaps for STARFIRE (and its success pales to that of SFB). When TFG folded, ADB acquired the publishing rights for SFU.

3) WIKI say that SFB was "developed under license from Paramount", but in fact the original license came from Franz Joseph Designs, author of the STAR TREK: STAR FLEET TECHNICAL MANUAL, long before Paramount obtained the Trek rights from CBS.

4) WIKI fails to mention that SFU is based off ST:TOS & ST:TAS only. It does not use anything from any of the movies nor from ST:TNG, ST:DS9 or those other two series not worth naming.

5) WIKI underplays the relationship between ADB and Talden, designers of the computer game STAR FLEET COMMAND. That game was as close to "SFB on the computer" as one can get, so they had to get ADB's permission before writing the first line of code.

DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sgt_G"]From WIKI, but not 100% accurate:

Quote:

5) WIKI underplays the relationship between ADB and Talden, designers of the computer game STAR FLEET COMMAND. That game was as close to "SFB on the computer" as one can get, so they had to get ADB's permission before writing the first line of code.

and yet, ADB cannot use the designs in Star Fleet Command. Is that justice? Is that Jussticee..
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DorianGray wrote:
and yet, ADB cannot use the designs in Star Fleet Command. IOs that justice?
Well, as explained before, the license expired. Even if it hadn't, it apparently did not include a reverse rights clause giving ADB access to original artwork Talden created themselves.

Not sure what "justice" you're looking for here ...... or am I just mis-reading your meaning??

DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, just dry humor. Crying or Very sad
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there had not been Paramount involved, the ADB-Taldren deal might have included reciprocal rights, probably would have. The problem was that the Paramount-Taldren deal gave Paramount the rights to anything that Taldren created, so there was nothing left to give to ADB.

The history is not quite what Wiki thinks it is.

Back in 1972 or so, Steve Cole and another guy (I forget the name) created JagdPanther. The other guy soon quit, selling all of his rights to SVC (me). Later, Allen Eldridge "bought into" JagdPanher. We shut that company down in early 1977 since it took a lot of time was was never designed to pay us any salaries. It was just a hobby. In 1979, Allen and I got the itch again and created TFG, which was designed to pay us salaries (and it did). About 1982, Allen and I decided it would be simpler to split the designer and publishing parts of the company. So TFG "spun off" ADB. I traded my half of the TFG stock for Allen's half of the ADB stock, and away we went. At the time I left TFG it had no debt. Allen's TFG-2 sunk keep and deeper in debt, and Allen sold TFG-2 to some comuter game company I don't remember (which ran it for a year or two as TFG-3), which sold TFG-3 to John Olsen, who ran what I call TFG-4. Eventually, TFG-4 ran out of money (and let's not discuss that except to say it wasn't MY fault and I was the biggest creditor). ADB then turned into ADB Inc., which bought all of TFG's rights in SFU (including the Paramount contract). TFG technically still exists (because it was never closed down) but has massive problems and could not return to operation without winning the lotto and has no connection to anything SFU anyway.

ADB, Inc., is a Texas Corportion. I own 90% (and this being a community property state, Leanna owns an undivided 50% interest in my 90%, which is not the same thing as each of us owning 45%) and Steve Petrick owns 10%. There are no outside debts. Leanna (VP and CFO), Petrick (VP and COO) and I (President and CEO) sit on the board.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this question comes up from time to time, maybe it should go up on the main-website FAQ's (with a few "I don't remember" holes plugged with info from the (similar) article in an old CapLog or Nexus). Now now I can't remember, but I think the article I'm remembering was a "Who's Who in the SFU" thing which talked about the computer game guys who did TFG-3, etc.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by DorianGray on Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: