Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Are there any...? Reply with quote

3 or more Plasma G armed ships? I love the 2 turn F rule and would like to get a bit more bang for my buck Twisted Evil i have noticed a couple of Plasma armed ships without plasma F's but are then any all Plasma G ships out there (looking for something BC to CA sized or smaller of course Very Happy ) this is probably a question to all you SFB veterans out there. Anyone else got a strange "are there any?" question this would probably be the place to ask. Thanks in advance oh Guru's of the SFU.

PS- And If there is one can i have it for my birthday SVC Very Happy (preferably gorn and with a ribbon on it).
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this a while back. Most of the plasma G ships are pre General War. By that time they had mostly been upgraded to plasma Ss.

Though, I would imagine that there will be a lot more of the plasma G armed ships in Briefing #2: Middle Years. So you might get your wish anyway.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pl-G is considered a "sub-standard" weapon. The reason is because it is upgradable to a Pl-S. So, any cruiser (or bigger) ship that had a Pl-G had it upgraded to a Pl-S. The only ships that use Pl-G are frigates and destroyers that are not allowed to use Pl-S, and so they max out at Pl-G.

The one exception to this "Pl-G aversion" are the Orions. Orions have a large incentive to use a Pl-G over a Pl-S. I doubt any Orion would ever use Pl-S, but if they use plasma, the chance of them using Pl-G is high.

The comment about Briefing #2 is because its setting is before the Pl-S was invented. Therefore, there are many ships that use the Pl-G. However, the only ship I can think of that uses more than two is the Gorn Dreadnought, which will have four.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still do the 2-turn F with 3 plas-S's. I was just wondering why it had to be a plas-G you down-loaded. Points value cost, perhaps?
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
You can still do the 2-turn F with 3 plas-S's. I was just wondering why it had to be a plas-G you down-loaded. Points value cost, perhaps?

i have never seen a ship with more then 3 plasma S's and I have seen ships without plasma F's entirely and only G's (Romulan old type something or other) It just seems that the plasma S is a more expensive weapon when it comes to BPV. Oh well thanks for the replies everyone Very Happy
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ships I can think of that have three Pl-S: Gorn BCH and Romulan SPJ (though the SPJ has firing restrictions on those Pl-S).

Now, you larger point is likely valid, in that a hypothetical ship could theoretically use Pl-G instead of Pl-S and increase the number carried as a result. However, that would set up the situation where a huge number of people would start insisting that the Pl-G be upgraded into Pl-S, rather than simply leaving them as Pl-G. So, because of the history of the game, and how the weapons' "in-game" history has been written, it would be exceptionally difficult to get the type of ship you are looking for.

Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes sense MJ thanks for the reply, bedsides 4 two turn F's would probably be a bit too much for me too handle anyway Very Happy .
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another are there any question. Are there any Romulan Vessels without a cloaking device? It says almost all Romulan Ships have it in the rules but are there any that don't. Just curious.
Carthaginian
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
Another are there any question. Are there any Romulan Vessels without a cloaking device? It says almost all Romulan Ships have it in the rules but are there any that don't. Just curious.

The Snipe-P (police ship) did not have a cloak, IIRC... but it's an SFB ship.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:

Romulan auxiliaries (SAC, armed freighters, Q-ships) and civilian ships do not have cloaking devices.

And, as mentioned, the Snipe-P does not have a cloak. To make a Snipe-P, take the Snipe from Romulan Attack, delete both Pl-F and both Ph-3s (in fleet scale, delete the Ph-3, one Pl-F, and make the other Pl-F FA). This produces the "pre-refit" Snipe. Take off the cloak, and you get the Snipe-P.

Or, just take the Snipe that is included in Briefing #2 and remove the cloak. That is a Snipe-P.

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Or, just take the Snipe that is included in Briefing #2 and remove the cloak. That is a Snipe-P.

Target practice. In any time frame Very Happy
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just take the Snipe that is included in Briefing #2 and remove the cloak. That is a Snipe-P.

Is that a Snipped Snipe?

ok, I'll go now...
Famous last words #11: "That's a very big fleet!"
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A joke I presume?
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: are there any ? Reply with quote

oh yeah and what a joke it was Rolling Eyes
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: