Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feds vs Plasma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajerBlundor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Feds vs Plasma Reply with quote

So, to use their photon torps effectively Fed ships need to get fairly close. But getting close to a plasma-armed ship can be suicide!

My son is eager to play with the Romulan K-series dreadnought so he's given me 145 points to spend (Fleet Scale, Fixed Map, 4 x 3 Large Scale Hexes, start on opposite corners).

I like playing Feds but I might take 2x Klingon D7Ds and "sabre dance" with drones, disruptors, and phasers (still tough on a fixed map). But if I were to take Feds, any suggestions on how to handle 2x Plasma-S and 1x Plasma-F on the fleet Scale K-dreadnought?

Last time I faced his Plasma-S ships they pummeled my fed ships at close range! I suppose reserving phasers for point defense is best. Other options?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photons have weak accuraccy at long range but do their maximum damage. You don't have to close in. But if you do, don't go below range 8 (optimum photon range.) Once the plasmas come, run away. Save some phasers though.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your speed up, and don't get too close.

Remember that phaser-1s at range WILL wear down your opponent.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[disclaimer: I'm no tactical whiz]

The few times I've fought plasma in Feds (my main opponent is obsessively Klingon), I ended up depending more on my phasers than anything else. I also valued my few drones as a way to tie up his phasers and give me an edge in phaser-count.

If the situation warrants it, you don't have to (re)load all photon tubes. If high-speed and long-range phaser-1 sniping would be more tactically useful, then by all means don't load tubes you aren't going to use. This is assuming you have already used the early game period for an attack run, where his heavy plasmas weren't ready and you had tubes loaded on "turn 0" (starting with empty batteries).

Once he does belch out his big plasmas [edited by author to remove stupid SFB memory goof], then it's time to start thinking load/overload cycles on all tubes again (maximizing that 2-turns vs 3-turn loading cycle disparity).

Last edited by djdood on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once he does belch out his big plasmas (and you've established you're not being suckered by pseudos)

Not an issue in Federation Commander as Pseudos don't exist ---
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Once he does belch out his big plasmas (and you've established you're not being suckered by pseudos), then it's time to start thinking load/overload cycles on all tubes again (maximizing that 2-turns vs 3-turn loading cycle disparity).

No pseudos in Federation Commander. They are always real; there is no memorex.

When fighting plasma in anything, choose base speed 24. From that, your weapons choices will be dictated. If you can't load a photon (or any) in order to keep the phasers firing, then don't. As long as he has significant plasma able to fire, you must keep your speed at 24 so you can outrun it. If he has no plasma to fire, then you can consider slowing down for a turn. Don't forget that a Pl-S on the second turn of arming *can* fire! (As a "fast-loaded" Pl-F.)

You might be able to get overloads in on that first pass. However, after that, you will probably want to stick with normal loads. At least until the finishing strike. Smile

But the key is: Go Fast! After that, pick the weapons you think best maximize your position.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that guys (post edited to remove dumb SFB-memory goof).

I'm glad I put the discalimer in first Embarassed

Can you tell our Romulan/Orion player rarely shows? I've only gotten to take on plasma in FedCom three times in as many years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: