Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Mr. Cole: "I can't continue, it's too tense!"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for BoM! It will allow for more of the scenarios from SFB.

Of course, I won't force anyone to use those rules if they don't want to.

Smile (My little bro wanted to see how the smilies worked)
MajerBlundor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:
I am on the fence abot BoM. I might want to play with some of the rules on occasion, but by and large I don't think the added complexity will add enough "fun" for me.

FC with fleet and squadron scale offers about the level of game play I'm after. SFB is definitely more involved than I currently want. I loved SFB when I was younger and had more available brain cells to devote to gaming.

You and me both! Smile

I played SFB back in college but dropped it when it went all "Advanced Squad Leader"-like. Same thing happened to Starfire.

I prefer FC's original concept which I would describe as "elegant and visceral" (not merely simple!!!). It manages to provide all of the tactical depth of the original but using streamlined, near-real-time execution which makes for a faster and more intense gaming experience. Brilliant!

In just a couple of weeks of exposure for our Atlanta gaming group we have 7+ adult players into it plus my kids. At least 4 actually own FC products now.

I also prefer FC's original focus on traditional SFU fighting ships which mirror 18th/19th/WWI naval combat rather than shuttles/fighters/EW/etc. which move the system into WWII/Modern naval combat.

In fact, as a fan of naval history/warfare I find Stephen's starship designs absolutely brilliant from a gaming perspective! I know hard core SF fans find certain aspects odd ("Just roll the ships" or "Why wouldn't they place the weapons for broader arcs?"). But I find FC "naval combat" FAR more interesting than historical naval games precisely because of the interplay between restricted arcs, shield facing, and maneuver.

In historical naval games relatively simple broadside tactics are the order of the day, from the 18th century to the early 20th century (and then aircraft ruined everything!) Smile But core SFU naval combat is much richer and one faces very entertaining tactical problems given Stephen's game design. So I'll be sticking with FC up to its "WWI Phase" and ignoring the addition of its "WWII+" features in BoM. Smile But I suppose all game systems not only evolve, they also grow. Perhaps FC will grow over time too (eg BoM).

Tim
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: BoM Reply with quote

I am going to buy BoM just to be able to field any ship I need in any given scenario...or campaign!

Been play testing SH-17 and the Feds get in trouble pretty quickly! But I think I have thought of a trick to pull, so I am going to try that on the next round.
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: