Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone name their ships? Why are all the ships USS prefix?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DorianGray
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the Star-fighter decals FAQ, it seems he does not do any custom decals.

I like the laser printer idea though! what size do you guys use for the NCC numbers and ship names?
General Chang
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the 'naming' process to be one of the most entertaining parts of the game. It also seems to get players into the 'spirit' of the game more than simply having a counter with a picture on it - instead you have a ship!

I have always played as a Klingon in the games I've played, and me and a friend usually name our ships after Mastodon songs, as was spotted in a previous thread.

Amongst my friends, there is always a dispute about who gets to be the Enterprise, and someone usually wants to be the Excelsior too. Aside from that I've seen various old Royal Navy names at the table (my personal fave being USS Splendid.... Rolling Eyes )

I think part of the fun of Fed Commander is getting 'into' the game and playing out the role of a starship captain, and the first step towards that is giving your ship a name!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our ships are always named.
It's much more devastating to lose the KHS Patriarch's Pride than it is to lose a Kzinti Battlecruiser.

Lucky ship names then tend to carry over from battle to battle, while unlucky names are soon lost in the mists of time...
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Ship Names Reply with quote

I completely agree with both General Chang and Scoutdad! It is so much more fun to maintain a history on your ships and sing songs and tell tall tales while imbibing bloodwine or brandy, than to act as if nothing happened! A true Klingon welcomes death as a transition with as much zeal as he lives his life!

Years later, when friends have transferred and you sit telling the tales of battle to the young ones, you can read to them the exploits of your squadron, or perhaps your fleet, and see the fire of the glory of battle in their eyes! And maybe you will glance in the mirror and see it burn in your eyes, also!
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: anyone name theie ships? why are all the ships USS prefix? Reply with quote

well put Hod K'el. Twisted Evil

only the fed ships are marked "United StarShip"(USS) my Klingons are all IKV (Imperial Klingon Vessel)
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllarr wrote:
Quote:
On a more serious note, I do name my ships (And did once name it the Star Sheep).

By the way Pinecone, the "Star Sheep" is a monster in a fiction story in Captain's Log #24 . Just read it last night. There are two scenarios in the book using those creatures...

Wow Shocked . I'll have to check that out.
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange but true, naming a ship miniature does sometimes seem to give it a life of its own..

I haven't had much real-opponent FC or SFB recently, but a (now sadly defunct) LGS ran several Babylon 5 based campaigns over the last three or four years.

I ran Earth Force...distinctions went to EAS Achilles, which got thrashed to within an inch of her life in every action she fought in but always (just barely) survived, EAS Nguyen Vo Giap which never once failed the (very difficult!) task of penetrating Minbari stealth, and EAS Ulysses, a small ship which over three separate campaigns consistently ran up the largest kill tally in the fleet.

Some years before that, I was in an SFB campaign at another club, commanding a Romulan squadron from a K7R I'd christened RIS Numen Augustii. That ship also had her own luck...all of it bad. The spirits of the emperors were clearly not impressed.

Last edited by Dan Ibekwe on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I name my ship after the person I'm playing against...

Seriously though, I agree - naming your ships makes the game more personal. You can get kinda attached to certain ships that make it through tight battles time and again.

UPFY
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excerpt from Star Trek 101, a book about Star Trek basics.

Although many think USS stands for United States Ship it really stands for United Space Ship.

I always thought it was United Star Ship but there ya go.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to quote the original question in the original post. On of our favorite names is USS Dead Klingon (Since the feds play against the Klingons usually) The Feds heavy cruiser is 147 Points unless you name it Enterprise, then the point value goes up to 247.
Alex Knight
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too name my ships. Though I don't remember what everything is named, off-hand. It's on a text file at home. I *do* know that I have a USS Michigan and a USS Flint in there... but that's off hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: