Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Steve
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Master
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Hey Steve Reply with quote

I have been looking through this Forum. I havn't seen any Question about this. So I will ask.

Are there plans to produce a Program (like Heavy metal Pro) and or a Disk with a SSD collection. So we can print out our ships as needed.

[Moderator EDIT]
I deleted the poll as explained below ...
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really really cool idea. I think it would be great to buy a disk for each release that comes out. They wouldn't even have to be sold together. If someone is fine with just the cards for FC or the books for SFB, then they're set! But for those that have access to a printer or don't need coated, wet-erase cards...a purchasable version on disk would be fantastic! That way a customer could just go and print out SSDs (for either FC or SFB) to their heart's content.

UPFY
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Master welcome to the forums. Now realise I am making this statement in good humor and it is in no way a attack or slam. Congratuations on being the 30something person to bring up the questions of somekind of PDF Products or Sell Razz

The ideal of some form of Electronic Media being sold by ADB is a issue that ADB is in the process of evaluating and is not one that will be answered anytime soon. As such I expect that the poll portion of the post will probably be removed as this disscussion has happened ever couple of months over the last several years and I am sure it will be brought up again. If you take a few moments to scan back through the forums I am sure you will find some of the earlier disscussions that have taken place.

There is one cavat I am going to add and that is ADB is going to start a trial run of some PDF Products using Steve Jackson Games website. While this will initially be limited to Prime Directive GURPS Products and Materials it does show that ADB is listening to its customers and is trying to determine if and how PDF sells are possiable for ADB.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I wrong in thinking though, Master, is that you meant a tangible, physical disk with a program on it that allows you to print out SSDs? This wouldn't be downloadable PDF content. This would be an actual product that can be purchased through the ADB store.

UPFY
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of collected SSD/Ship Cards on a disk. It would be very handy to be able to print out copies of what ever ships I need on game night. Of course it would also be nice to be able to buy the rules, scenarios etc this way.

I also like the coated color ship cards that Fed Comm uses now, and I love printed and bound rules.

Printer ink does get expensive, even if you are just printing out all the ships from Comunique.

As a bussiness owner I am afraid I can't quite see to make this a money earning proposition for ADB. Electronic versions would, I am sure, cut dramatically into sales of the hard copy versions. After all why pay for a hard copy when you can buy the digital version and print just the ones you need. I don't think the profit margin on coated ship cards is all that high considering the relatively low price of the boosters.

Plus it is easier to pirate a digital version as opposed to a print version. If pirate files start proliferating on the web ABD will shortly be in a very bad spot financially.

There is also the problem of distributing updated versions to gamers. I know I would be upset if I had to buy the whole disc over again each year to get the new ships and rules. As it currently stands if I don't want to play Distant Kingdoms, or Romulans, or Klingons, or what ever, I simply don't buy those supplements. If I want to keep up with all the doings of the Gorn Empire I can buy all the supplements, boosters, etc that have Gorn ships in them.

So, yes, I like the idea and would buy in if ADB decides to go down that road, but I will be far from heartbroken if they do not.
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: hey steve Reply with quote

there are pro's and con's for this. if SVC decides to do this it will be based on something other than forum poll's. not that i am against poll's on this subject but this is how SVC makes his living and i am sure he does not want to end up where WOTC is today. that being said you should voice your thoughts either way on this subject but remember this is not something that will be decided overnight and SVC does not take our opinions lightly.
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's most likely true. Printer ink is expensive. And the cards can be used over and over until they get too ear marked to write on anymore. Then the cards can just be replaced.

I got excited because I'm a graphic arts person and I love electronic media and art. But I have to keep in mind that this may not always be sound business practice as far as a company is concerned. I have never operated a business - so I bow to the advice and knowledge already present on these boards. Smile

UPFY
Atrox7
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be an interesting read for some on the issue of companies selling PDF or other digital versions of their products:
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14726.html

From the article you can see that as of this week WOTC has discontinued all PDF sales due to piracy and will review other means of digital distribution.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Moderator]

I deleted the poll because it is pointless. It is unnecessary, and potentially inflamatory.

I have, however, left the discussion intact. It is a perfectly valid (if somewhat repeditive) topic.

But no poll.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I would like to remind people that ship cards are being released in PDF format: Go to the Ship Card page of the Commander's Circle. It has many new ship cards, plus every ship card in Klingon Border and Romulan Border.

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I never knew that was there! Thank you Mjwest! Very Happy
Carthaginian
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a note, Mr. West- the Romulan Battlehawk card link redirects to the Shrike's SSD. Wink

Thanks for more free web support on one page than most games get in several 'pay to DL' expansions!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The credit goes to Steve, how decided to provide all of this, and Eric, who did it.

BTW, if you want the Battlehawk, click on the Shrike link. Smile

I'll let Eric know ...

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Also, I would like to remind people that ship cards are being released in PDF format: Go to the Ship Card page of the Commander's Circle. It has many new ship cards, plus every ship card in Klingon Border and Romulan Border.

Thanks for the heads-up on that, Mike; those cards will be most useful Smile

I'm not sure there's 'every' ship from KB and RB, though; I can't find the large freighter.

But still, what a generous thing to do. Granted, they're all Communique releases, but there's some work gone into that. Thanks guys!
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large freighter just popped in the new Communique, yesterday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: