Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas for cloaking tactics?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Now there's an interesting rules question. If you do accelerate, and move more than two hexes during your fade-in impulse, will that not void your cloak immediately, thereby losing you your +4 fade-in protection?

Yes, you do.

But....

You've got four drones that are about to impact you, and your opponent is largely carrying Disruptors, Phaser-3s, and Phaser-1s as his direct fire weapons. Now which are you more concerned about -

a.) Getting hit by four drones?
b.) Forcing your opponent to add +4 to the range of a shot that he'll just take next impulse anyway (if the drones can hit in one impulse, then that means that he's at range 3 or less)?

Speed 16+1 it is!
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, absolutely! I was thinking in terms of coming out of cloak offensively, and also about the rules - voiding of the cloak during fade [either way] had not occurred to me before.

But yes, I agree about the drones and what have you. Point well made Smile
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A logical strategy is to use the cloaking device to cloak, then get behind them before uncloaking and fire. If your opponent is going at a slow speed (8 or 16) and range is 0-5, shoot your plasma in seeking mode, otherwise bolt them. Its helpful if you began the turn cloaked. If you did, Bolt those Torps and cloak again.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tend to think that if you can get behind some one whilst cloaked, stay there whilst uncloaking, shoot and then cloak again then you probably never needed the cloak in the first place.

Given the movement restriction whilst cloaked it is going to be pretty hard to get behind someone in a useful sense of the word never mind keep there whilst decloaking.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're good. Nobody I play with is any good. I trounce both of them.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're good. Nobody I play with is any good. I trounce both of them.

Would have to say, you can't be learning very much that way ---
Too easy to pick up bad habits in that type battle(s) ---

If your opponents aren't pushing you, then you need to scale down the ship your using, or pick a race that not as affective against the ones they play ---

We know its hard to get players involved, especially ones tactically proficient, so you have to do things on your side to make the battles you can get a challenge ---
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was slightly exaggerating in that post, although I did not lie. I have only played the game with two people (And only about 7-10 games total) 1 player, yes, I trounce him each time. He doesn't like the game anymore, but If I played a player his skill level, he'd be using a stronger ship then me.

My other opponent, what I said is true, he isn't very good, but I'm not really too Great either. I'd say I've got the slight edge, but with a smaller ship I'd probobly lose. I have won our past 3 games, but I used to lose in the past. I have a feeling I'm going to lose next matchup.

Really, I have little experience with cloaks, and I don't have Romulan Border/Space. The only game I've had a cloak was with a tweaked Klingon Heavy Cruiser with Photons and a cloak against a Fed Heavy Cruiser, and I won the match, using the cloak only once. Really, the Romulans, needing more weapon loading time and able to track with Plasma Torps while cloaked, the cloak seems more effective in their hands then the Klingons.

Could be wrong.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was slightly exaggerating in that post, although I did not lie. I have only played the game with two people (And only about 7-10 games total) 1 player, yes, I trounce him each time. He doesn't like the game anymore, but If I played a player his skill level, he'd be using a stronger ship then me.

My other opponent, what I said is true, he isn't very good, but I'm not really too Great either. I'd say I've got the slight edge, but with a smaller ship I'd probobly lose. I have won our past 3 games, but I used to lose in the past. I have a feeling I'm going to lose next matchup.

Really, I have little experience with cloaks, and I don't have Romulan Border/Space. The only game I've had a cloak was with a tweaked Klingon Heavy Cruiser with Photons and a cloak against a Fed Heavy Cruiser, and I won the match, using the cloak only once. Really, the Romulans, needing more weapon loading time and able to track with Plasma Torps while cloaked, the cloak seems more effective in their hands then the Klingons.

Could be wrong.

Anyway's, my toughest endeavor so far was using a Klingon D7 Fleet Scale in the Training Scenario (Final mode, Speed 40) If this brings questions, I'll answer them here but I'd much rather you go to the thread for it (By me) Called Federation Commander Traning Mission, a thread I'd like to awaken. I'm also starting a thread right now of strategies learnable in 1 battle.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm also starting a thread right now of strategies learnable in 1 battle.

The best strategy is to learn your enemy, playing only one empire will limit that, play as many as you can, if you can win with them you can beat them also ---
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it does, I was just saying there are strategies that 1 battle is enough to learn.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it does, I was just saying there are strategies that 1 battle is enough to learn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: