Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very Basic Tactics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In convienince for myself, I left out the part that we had stopped for a break.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
In convienince for myself, I left out the part that we had stopped for a break.
Heh. Fair enough Smile
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luuuuke, er, I mean pinecooooooone...let go...use the Force...
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was supposed to be about Star Trek, not Star Wars (and certainly not Star Blazers), but I expect the joke is funny, although I dont get it... Sad
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
I thought this was supposed to be about Star Trek, not Star Wars (and certainly not Star Blazers), but I expect the joke is funny, although I dont get it... Sad

It's a satirical reference to Luke turning off the targeting computer during the final run down the trench in the original Star Wars... (not Episode 4: A New Hope, just Star Wars. Mad ) and someone suggesting you turn off your computer and compete the ongoing game...

'cause we want to know how it ends.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl Laughing
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we're going to finish it right now, and would have if my opponent had been ready earlier.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, After playing horribly, I conceded even after he missed with two distruptors. I'll right a full report tommorow but it's time for me to be getting to bed.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Skywalker was a great man. But that was another galaxy. Kirk rules this one, and his mighty throne takes him about space, me!
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have to play a Fed, I am going to overload two photons and charge two standard photons, so I have both long range 'stay-away-from-me' weapons and 'in-your-face' weapons ready. Remember...that's IF I have to play Fed!
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Feds are sweet.

Really, that's strategy just doesn't work (No insult intended) The Klingons can do the sabre dance, as is said, the Feds can't. And the odds of hitting the same shields is slim. You need to overload all Torps and fire! This will really wreck the enemy. My Fed Dreadnought once did 120 Damage to a Klingon Dreadnought my way.

Last edited by USS Enterprise on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My Fed Dreadnought once did 120 Damage to a Klingon Dreadnought my way.

I've played "Refiner's Fire" scenario 3 times, different person playing the Fed each time (2 x SFB, 1 FC), in these battles the Fed CC fired 15 OL Photons at range 2 or 3, of these only 2 hit ---

Yes, when the dice are with you its good, when their not, there's not enough superglue to put the CC back together --- You begin relying on the punch of the photons and put yourself in an unnecessary situations ---

No matter the skill of your opponent, the dice can bite you when you least need it --- The best players take that into account in much of what they do ---
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can win with a 6 on every roll though, I bet if the best player in the world played me right now with even ships, I'd have absolutely no chance, even if I rolled a 1 every role and they rolled a 6 each time, they'd simply find a way to win, even if the didn't know this from the beginning.

Now granted, maybe not, but the odds of this example actually occuring are slim, a more realistic scenario (But still a reach) if they rolled a 4, 5, or 6 each roll and I rolled a 1, 2, or 3 each time, I'd lose.

But I see your point about the dice. (I only have KB, so what is the Refiner's fire scenario?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:

Really, that's just about the stupidest strategy I've ever heard (No insult intended) The Klingons can do the sabre dance, as is said, the Feds can't. And the odds of hitting the same shields is slim. You need to overload all Torps and fire! This will really wreck the enemy. My Fed Dreadnought once did 120 Damage to a Klingon Dreadnought my way.

Please don't take this the wrong way... the last thing I want to do is get a flame war started, but I take particular exception to the quote above. The group I play in has more than 2 dozen players of various ages and experience levels.
Some of us are 40+ and have played SFB since the original version...
6 of us have been playing Federation Commander since before it was released to the general public...
and many of us have played wargames of all shapes and sizes for 30+ years.

We consider ourselves very good players and I think we can hold our own with any other group / player out there. We won't win every game, but we won't lose every game either.

It's been our experience that there is NO stupid strategy... only stupid times to use them.
Take the Fed . Klingon sabre dance. We've had FC duels between a CA and a D7 go upwards of 25 turns as both sides maneuvered for position. The Klingon player approaching on the oblique and turning at range 14-12 after firing disruptors and phasers and the Fed player employing the "Rolling Thunder" strategy. [that's two standard load photons at range each turn along with phasers] until someone feels that "crunch-time" has arrived and they charge in for the coup de' gras. Sometimes it'sthe Fed, sometimes it's the Klingon. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong.Sometimes the dice gods love 'em, sometimes they don't!
We've had newcomers employ the "Close'n Hose" tactic. That's go straight - go straight again - go straight again... both sides fire.

The point is that there are as many tactics as there are players (actually there are more tactics than players as each competent player has multiple tactics they like to use) and what seems stupid to one player may work well as a counter-tactic to another players tactics.

Yes, a Federation ship...
with full over-loads...
at close range...
hitting with all (or even most) of it's photons...
will "wreck" the enemy.

But if you miss, at that range... it's all over but the resetting for the next game.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refiners Fire is a scenario in which 2 x KR and a D-7 ambush a Gorn CC, which runs into Federation Space and is supported by a Fed CC ----
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: