Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orion Stealth With Cloak vs Seeking Weapons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Orion Stealth With Cloak vs Seeking Weapons Reply with quote

Pinecone's post on cloaked orions just got me thinking - I know that the Orion stealth penalty vs direct fire weapons doesn't stack with a cloak. What about the "roll a die to see if you miss" effect vs seeking weapons? Seems to me that it shouldn't stack with a cloak either. AFAIK it isn't explicitly stated that it doesn't stack, which could lead to confusion.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it doesn't say, so maybe it does stack. I could live with it if it did due to the fact that Orions are normally weak, but maybe it was intended that there'd be no stack.

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point. I'd say that we keep the 'seeking weapons can miss' benefit, but that's just my opinion. There's no need to rebalance this any further.

Why should seeking weapons suddenly find it easier to hit a ship because it's cloaked? That's pretty counterintuitive!
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol.

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all it says is that cloak and stealth are not cumulative. Since the drone '6' roll is part of stealth, it is lost when under cloak.

Unless, of course, you decide that 1/6 chance to miss is better than 50% of damage. Since you do have the choice ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Well, all it says is that cloak and stealth are not cumulative. Since the drone '6' roll is part of stealth, it is lost when under cloak.

Unless, of course, you decide that 1/6 chance to miss is better than 50% of damage. Since you do have the choice ...

But it must be simple to merely clarify, like all the other rules clarifications, and say that cloak and the stealth bonus are not cumulative.

And if that was the case, then the 1/6 miss chance would be rolled for first, then if it hits it gets 50% damage. Simple.
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that Orion stealth also offers a bonus vs seeking weapons was overlooked when the clarification was done.

And 50% reduction in warhead strength is definitely better than an average 16% reduction in damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: