Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plasma Torpedoes and Orions (Or Orion weapon mounts)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's teh FCRRB - mike is talking about just replacing an older version of the KB or RB rulebook with the new version 5 rulebook.

If I understand the marketign concept correctly, the FCRRB will be a separate product containing all of the rules but none of the ships/scenarios.
Each product will still have a rulebook enclosed with the rules for that particular product, plus ship descriptions and scenarios.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why the S torp is so many extra points. It may be bigger and badder, but it takes two boxes. That would seem to balance it, wouldn't it?

After all, combine an F and G and you get about the same amount of damage for fewer points.

Or combine a distruptor and G and have a close and long range weapon, for fewer points.

The only upside to the S is fewer energy points.
eunderko
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I expect the cost is kind of a hold over from SFB where plasmas had more "features" than they do in FC.

While I might take a G and I have taken F torps, I do think the S torp costs too much (more in terms of losing two option boxes rather than point cost) to be worthwhile, but, obviously, that is just my opinion.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The costs are what they are because no justification was given to change their costs from what they are in SFB. I suppose the cost of the Pl-G could be increased a point or two, but they are what they are. Smile

Besides, I think you would have to be insane to take a Pl-S, PPD, or ESG because of that extra box. The weapon's potential just doesn't justify the loss of a whole weapon.

On the other hand, if you are going to take a plasma boat, I think taking a Pl-G (which is pretty much all you would be allowed anyway) make a lot of sense. It gives some really nice tactical options (including longer range and the two-turn arming option) that compliment the Pl-Fs the ship would also have.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(more in terms of losing two option boxes rather than point cost)

That's why it's so crazy that it's bad in both situations.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Plasma Boats Reply with quote

I don't understand your English, Pinecone, but I think I get your drift.

For my two cents, if I take a plasma boat, I run a BR with A = Pl-F, B = Pl-G, C= Pl-F, and my wing options have Pl-D's. The Pl-D's require 1/4 power to launch. This is where you save your power. They also can launch at ships as well as act as long range ADD's.

I prefer, however, to operate a phaser boat. A & C and wing mounts withs Ph-1's and B with a Ph-G. It is more power efficient.

And the best of both worlds is a phaser boat with Pl-D's in the wings!
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasma Boats Reply with quote

Hod K'el wrote:
The Pl-D's require 1/4 power to launch.

For the record, it is 1/2 a point of power to launch, not 1/4.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant it's ineeficient in number of boxes and in points.

But yes, a phaser boat with Pl-D would be good. I might take one distruptor, for long range.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasma Boats Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Hod K'el wrote:
The Pl-D's require 1/4 power to launch.

For the record, it is 1/2 a point of power to launch, not 1/4.

Hey! Your right! I do it automatically and do not pay that much attention to it, but as soon as I read your post, I went thru the motions and that IS the way I do it. Mark the 1, circle the 1/2. Ever have a DUH moment? Rolling Eyes
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still worth it. That's two energy for a close range potential 40 damage! Not a bad deal Cool .
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinecone, only 1 plasma-D per turn per rack can be launched at a ship/base. And if it does, that's the only launch it's allowed that turn. I suppose that you could launch four times over four turns, but if you can stay that close for four turns without getting your racks shot off, you deserve to score the 40 damage Smile
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: PL-D's Reply with quote

That's 20 points. Can't take PL-Ds in A, B, or C slots. Only wing mounts. But the PL-G and two PL-F's going in should compensate nicely...

The draw backs are enemy drones and/or plasma torps. To counter this, stay at range 9 to 15 and use phasers or disruptors in A & C slots with the PH-G in the B slot, then remember that speed is your friend. Just think of yourself as a fighter pilot when using an Orion ship. Hit & Run! Hit & Run! Hit & Run! Eventually, you will realize that you chewed him up. Now slow down and Mizia him to death!
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: