Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips for Beginners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andromedan
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Tips for Beginners Reply with quote

I am planning on doing a TalkCast this Thursday night. The topic of discussion is "Federation Commander: Tips for Beginners". Can I have some tips from some of you that have played for a while? Possibly even have a couple people join me on Thursday night.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont be overly concerned about getting all of the rules 100% correct when you play. You learn the rules by playing. Even as a veteran player, I learn new things from time to time.

If you are unsure about a rule in the middle of a game and cant seem to find it in the rule book quickly, do what you and the other players think is best then look up the rule after game play or post your question on this forum. Nothing brings down a good gaming session like looking for a rule for 15 to 20 minutes.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go through the rulebook and highlight key phrases. You'd be amazed how easy it is to find doubt about one key factor and spend valuable time scanning the book trying to find it.
Some specific items my group consistently had doubts on and now can find easily (due to highlighting):
Range of Transporters
Range of Tractor Beams
Power costs of Transporters
Power costs of Tractor Beams
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a little off topic, but in reference to commonly used "numbers" such as DJDOOD listed, we have made shortcut cards that contain this type of information. It is amazing how much verbage can be gotten rid of from the printed rules when this is done.
General Chang
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
Dont be overly concerned about getting all of the rules 100% correct when you play. You learn the rules by playing. Even as a veteran player, I learn new things from time to time.

I'm very much a newbie player (I have less than 10 games under my belt) but I think this is excellent advice!

For me and my regular group, one of the main appeals of FC is the speed of the game, and we'd all much rather double check the rules when the game is finished than interupt the middle of fierce battle.
atomic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've tried moderated games-a "vet" player teaching 2 newbs. That keeps the game flowing pretty well. Unfortunately I'm the "vet" player with a dozen or so games under my belt. I also scanned and printed the reference cards on 11x17 inch paper and had them laminated at Kinkos. That way everyone can see the charts and the moderator can still moderate using the one included in the game.
Andromedan
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on what races/weapons a beginner should start with?

BTW, I am doing the TalkCast tonight. If people want to discuss it during the TalkCast. The info is:

Star Fleet Universe On Call (Talk Shoe ID: 17702) between 9:30pm and 10:30pm Eastern Time

(URL: http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/17702)

If you want to call in, just call 724-444-7444 and enter the Talkshoe ID 17702.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd highly recommend starting with the classic Fed versus Klingon match-up.

The increased complexity of the two-turn arming photon balances against the tactical-demands of the Klingon (it's not a "close and hose" boat). The Fed is easier to fly against an inexperienced opponent, the Klingon's systems are all straightforward and ready every turn. Their "tv show" recognizability doesn't hurt either (there aren't many folks who don't know what a Klingon is, even if they have never watched any Trek).

The later shows and movies (TNG, DS9, etc.) do hurt things when it comes to teaching the Klingon. SFU Klingons simply don't work very well when you "Cry havok" and close to point blank range against a Fed with overloads ready. That trade won't go in the Klingon's favor, no matter how posh his new digs in "Sto Vo Kor" will be.

It took nearly a dozen sessions for my group's Klingon to unlearn what he had seen on DS9 and play the Klingons the way the SFU has them. Once he learned to (kind of) saber-dance, he stopped losing every time. That first win turned the lightbulb over his head on and got him thinking tactically, instead of reacting or charging.

As long as the Fed's and Klingon's drones didn't cause any issues in initial games, the Kzintis are a pretty easy starter-empire for newbies too. They are an easy transition from either Fed or Klingon, but anyone with a few games as a Klingon under their belt would take to Kzintis well (same weapons, different mix, similar [if modified] tactics).

Personally, I played Kzintis in my fifth game (with my first four as a Fed) and instantly fell in love with the "drone wave".

Romulans, with the multi-turn plasma and the tactical wrinkles of the cloak are best introduced after folks have a few games under their belt with Feds and Klingons. I'd lump Orions in with the Romulans (even if they don't take a cloak); the stealth bonus and engine doubling add some extra rules-crunch and it's all balanced with a ship that can't take a hit. Even more of a "finesse" boat than the Klingon. Deadly, once the player understands how to use its benefits, but a deathtrap if they try to fly it "wrong".

Lyrans and Hyrdans have their own special wrinkles. I don't personally feel they are as difficult to master as the Romulan or Orions. They aren't as straightforward as Feds or Klingon, but there's nothing too crazy with them (the ESG can be a little hard to get across until someone actually sees it in-action). Hydrans can be a great empire for newbies, since they are built for a new-person's natural desire to "close and hose". As long as they can grasp the unique rules for the Hellbore and Fusions, they can be a lot of fun. I've never used Stingers with a newbie - that would be a bit too much, in my opinion.

I feel Tholians are a complete no-go for teaching sessions. They're cool, but there is just too much information to try and get across in a quick read-out of the rules. They also require a pretty distinct set of tactics. Tholians are much better used when a new player has had a chance to go read the rules themselves and then come back and play through a friendly (non-competitive; learning) session using them.

Best of luck with the show Paul.
Will (djdood) McCammon
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul:
I enjoyed the TalkCast session tonight. I hope to be able to participate in more of them in the future.
Andromedan
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to thank everybody for their input. It helped make a very good podcast.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andromedan wrote:
I just want to thank everybody for their input. It helped make a very good podcast.
I thought the show was pretty good as well. As I am going to be introducing this game coming up, I think it gave me a lot of good pointers. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: