Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FedComm Timeline Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be totally honest here and say that mostly I just want to smack some ships together in the SFU and "blow stuff up real good". FC is a great way to do that, no timeline required.

For those who want to play timeline specific games using the FC rules I assume they are free to pour over the respective Master Ship Charts and cross out system boxes that "should not be there yet" and figure out how to fit the scenario into the existing FC ship mix. Those of us who just want to "blow stuff up" don't need to worry about when a particular ship was or was not on the Klingon Border.

I like the idea of a "Middle Years" setting using new ship cards and existing counters to portray the ships of ToS etc. I would buy into an FC:Early Years product that dealt with sub-light ships etc. No need for a specific timeline, just a general era.

As for "Fizzing Beams" this is no worse than the "Cosmic Kitty" a giant Monster possibly of Kzinti or Lyran origin which bats starships, terrain, seeking weapons etc about at will.

Or the dreaded "Stellar Wind" which used to plague or marathon battles with paper maps and cardboard counters on a screened in porch...
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, well, don't worry about the 'fizzing beams'; they were simply an humourous extension to a spelling error - nobody is thinking of incorporating such a weapon - wherever in the timeline it appears Wink
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except the Diet Pepsi Battlecruiser!
MajerBlundor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Aye, well, don't worry about the 'fizzing beams'; they were simply an humourous extension to a spelling error - nobody is thinking of incorporating such a weapon - wherever in the timeline it appears Wink

In a recent session one of my friends announced that he was firing his "futon torpedoes". Shocked

Personally, I doubt that comfy cushions would have much of an impact on a star ship's hull. Smile
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diet Pepsi Battlecruiser- Colonel Sanders speaking, Fire all Fizzing Beams.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajerBlundor wrote:
Personally, I doubt that comfy cushions would have much of an impact on a star ship's hull. Smile

It worked for the Spanish Inquisition.... Wink

.....for those that don't know, it's a Monty Python sketch...
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition to be discussed on this forum. But I suppose that nooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess that was something completely different...
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, the fizzing beams leak through the shield and choke the captain.

Unless he's Kirk.

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that our main weapon is fear. And surprise. Our two main weapons are...
drwibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky Scot wrote:
Just remember that our main weapon is fear. And surprise. Our two main weapons are...

Ah... but is the big chair a Comfy Chair?
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's come back in and start again....
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky Scot wrote:

Okay, so I won't sleep well, so I'll be spacey. My thoughts will wander and I won't notice or fear you.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Back on topic Reply with quote

I would like a "sorta" timeline.

I think having a defined history is good is good for scenarios. However, for FC, I would recommend "eras" instead of a detailed timeline for ships in service (it is still impotant to know what year an event happened, but independent from the ship services).

Middle Years is a perfect example. Don't think of it as an alternate setting, but an alternate era. It should reflect all the ships available to a scenario between (insert whatever years covers the whole of the middle years). It does not matter if one Empire develops such-and-such technology 12 years later than so-and-so. Too much info for FC.

I would like to see an early years era product. Again, all ships represented should cover the entire era, no versions for early or late. You play an early gorn, here is the SSD. No need to think if it is Y80 or Y100.

Scenarios can set an exact historical date, it just would not affect the design of a ship in that era.

This seems like a good balance of playability and history. In the end I can see four eras: Early, Middle, Main FC, and Late (simplified x-ships).
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there are two mini-eras in the Early Years: the one focused on the W-era ships (typically max speed 16) and the other focused on teh Y-era ships (typically max speed 24). That means the presentation of the Early Years could be as two eras, one mini-era at the expense of the other, or some bizarre mashup. I don't know which is best, really, though I lean toward the "two separate eras" type idea.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: