Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First game for Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeyRandy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: First game for Newbie Reply with quote

Greetings,

I just wanted to let you all know that I recently played the first game of FC and it went very well. I actually ran the game as Game Ref and had my 14 year old son and 8 year old daughter pitted against each other.

My 14 year old is a good wargamer (much better than I was at his age) and selected the Klingon D7 for his ship. I provided much tactical assistance for my 8 year and naturally she selected a Fed CA (USS Saratoga).

Taking direction from early posts about introducing the game, I selected poker chips as tokens for energy points and described the process of "purchasing" moves and actions. I also explained the impulse system and for my son how it differed from other game systems that used initiative or pre-plots to handle maneuver combat. He thought that it was much better for this style game and they both took to it like fish in water.

The battle took about 3 hours (probably the pizza slowed things down) but they were into it to the bitter end. The Klingon ship ate a Photon Torp barrage early in the game and he quickly learned to keep his distance. The game ended with the D7 disabled and terms for surrender were quickly finalized. Lucky for the Feds because Saratoga only had 2 shields up and had taken some serious damage as well.

I want to compliment all who worked on this game. It captures the "2 hour" approach to many of the newer board/war games with great game-play. We plan to play a larger game using Fleet scale this weekend...

www.acmeterrain.com
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing the next generation of gamers, one game at time.
Nicely done!
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a load of fun!

Welcome to the forum, btw Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: