Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISC rear-firing plasma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: ISC rear-firing plasma Reply with quote

Is the RRB rule on ISC rear-firing torpedoes (4J6) a playtest rule, as some of the other 'future product' rules in the RRB are?

The reason I ask is because there seems to be a discrepancy with regard to using these weapons to destroy already-impacted seeking weapons.

In (4J6), we are told that these F-torps can be launched 'defensively' at an already impacted seeking weapon. So far, so good.

On the other hand, we are also told in (4J5e) that a plasma-D cannot be used for this purpose, namely, to destroy an already-impacted seeking weapon.

So, why can one torp, the 'D', which is clearly stated to be 'primarily used for defensive purposes' not fire at an impacted weapon, whereas the bigger and surely clumsier F-torps on an ISC ship can do so?

Furthermore, surely if one of those F-torps does hit an impacted drone, under Rule (4F5c) the ship should take damage from both the drone and the plasma. It's not right to have just this one exception to that rule; firstly, why should the ISC be immune to combined-impact weapons, and secondly it makes the game just that little more complex - yet another 'exception'.

Or is it, as I hope, just a playtest rule and therefore subject to modification?
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, of course, a playtest rule, as its formal publication with the rest of the ISC has not yet occurred.

However, that seeming inconsistency you are observing is intentional. It is exactly the case that Pl-D cannot be used in Defensive Fire, yet the rear-firing Pl-F can. That is neither a mistake, nor a typo.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. It just seemed more than a bit odd, that's all Smile

Thanks for the answer!
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the ISC? I thought they weren't out yet. What product are they found in?

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a couple of ships in Communique, Captain's Log and there's a CA in Booster Zero.

The question I was asking, however, was based on a new rule found in the latest rulebook, the Reference Rule Book or RRB. Sorry if the use of abbreviations confused you Smile As far as I am aware, these rules were included for completeness' sake, and for playtesting too, and are generally clearly marked as such.

The ISC are due out in the module 'War and Peace'; an ADB staffer would be best placed to let you know just when that's planned for.
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
Where are the ISC? I thought they weren't out yet. What product are they found in?

As Kang mentions, they will be included in War & Peace, which is currently penciled in for 2010.

There have been a few ships published thus far, including the CA, CL/CS, and DD. The CA and DD can be found in the Communique archives, and the CL/CS was in a Captain's Log (forgot which one).

In addition, the rules for the PPD and the rear firing Pl-F can be found in the new Reference Rule book. It includes all of the rules published thus far, but also includes a few playtest rules, including the rules for the ISC and the Vudar.

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
It is exactly the case that Pl-D cannot be used in Defensive Fire, yet the rear-firing Pl-F can. That is neither a mistake, nor a typo.

Still, though, it's a seeking weapon hitting an impacted seeking weapon. Shouldn't this by definition mean that the combined warhead hits the target? Oops.... Shocked
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
mjwest wrote:
It is exactly the case that Pl-D cannot be used in Defensive Fire, yet the rear-firing Pl-F can. That is neither a mistake, nor a typo.

Still, though, it's a seeking weapon hitting an impacted seeking weapon. Shouldn't this by definition mean that the combined warhead hits the target? Oops.... Shocked

No, because the second seeking weapon was fired in Defensive Fire. (The rear-firing Pl-F becomes the only seeking weapon that can be fired in Defensive Fire.) This means it is intercepting the first seeking weapon, not following it in.

Amusing concept, though. Smile

USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do Plasma D's work exactly? And what are they?

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasma-D's are small plasma warheads loaded into canisters and fired from a rack similar to a drone rack.
The warheads are placed in stasis and loaded into the canisters well in advance (months or years) of the scenario.
It takes 1/2 point of energy at the moment of firing to "activate" the warhead.

They can be fired at a unit (ship or base) like a drone at a rate of one warhead per rack per turn, or they can be fired in defensive mode (at incoming seeking weapons) at a rate of one warhead per impulse - but you can not fire them in both modes during the same turn.

The Plasma-D racks can be reloaded in the same manner as drone racks, i.e. by using repair points...
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
Where are the ISC?

East of the Romulan Star Empire and the Confederacy of the Gorn!!!

Cool
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
No, because the second seeking weapon was fired in Defensive Fire. (The rear-firing Pl-F becomes the only seeking weapon that can be fired in Defensive Fire.) This means it is intercepting the first seeking weapon, not following it in.

Amusing concept, though. Smile

I get it. And thanks Smile - that was the main point of my confusion....
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you knew this Scoutdad, but I meant where in FC can you find the pack containing them.

"Live long and Prosper."
dave
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasma D rules appear in "Romulan Attack".
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
I assume you knew this Scoutdad, but I meant where in FC can you find the pack containing them.

See mjwest's posting above. He goes into all available detail as to where the ISC things are.

The rules for their weapons are in the reference rulebook, btw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: