Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battle Report, Fed CA VS Klingon D7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Battle Report, Fed CA VS Klingon D7 Reply with quote

I was the Fed. My friend, new to the game (But I'm pretty new too, having less than 10 games under my belt) was the D7.

On the first turn. my opponent took my advice and tried the Saber Dance until firing, but then he charged in and I smacked him with 3 overloaded torpedoes.

We called it mid second turn.

Woo Hoo! I won!

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistakes are a good way to learn. You will have to watch him Wink
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a first duel against a friend in this vein as well. D7C vs. CA (for more even points). I was flying the Klingon.

My opponent and I both closed toward the center of the map in turn 1, he at 16 and I at 24. He made the mistake of showing me his front shield within 15 hexes and I pinged it. The following turn I moved to open the distance and he gave chase, clawing through my drones to try and get into overload range - showing me his front shield a second time.

After this double-ping to his "chasing shield" he was hard pressed to close distance with me and I eventually closed for an overload exchange.

The lesson we learned here is that the fed needs to protect his front shield in the early stages of the game, as he will need it to charge into overload range. I also learned the value of Drones in eating precious enemy energy.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I always like to read of lessons learned; that's a good thing to do, and even better to share with the other forumers. Thanks!
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fought that D7C versus Fed CA duel a few days back as well. Took every chance I got (as the D7C) to harass and ding away at his shields. Like many Feds, he got obsessed with waiting for the big photon shot and didn't really go for a proper phaser duel.

I eventually gave him the head-on pointblank shot he wanted in turn six, by which time I'd damaged four of his shields and almost knocked out his shield one. He hit me with three overloads for 39 internals (against my almost intact front shield), nearly all of which landed on secondary systems.

In return I did 57 internals, took out a third of his power, and left him with no weapons apart from a single phaser and one photon.

Admittedly the dice were with me in this exchange, but this "all photons overloaded, charge on in" thing really just does NOT work reliably for the Feds!
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fed CA's phaser suite is sweet. Phasers are almost the primary weapons in FC, because they're so power-efficient.
RIS_Mace
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:
The Fed CA's phaser suite is sweet. Phasers are almost the primary weapons in FC, because they're so power-efficient.

drwibble wrote:
Like many Feds, he got obsessed with waiting for the big photon shot and didn't really go for a proper phaser duel.

Phasers are very nice indeed! Just curious, do you mean matching the Klingon at range 15 with phasers, or using the extra speed (from using only normal photons, or turning some or all of them off altogether) to reach range 8?
drwibble
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was flying the Klingon. Took most of my shots in 9-15. The Fed did get inside range 8 a couple of times, but wanted to get a really close range photon shot so didn't take the couple of opportunities he actually had.

It seems to be a problem when playing as Feds; there's a kind of hypnosis about waiting for that great photon alpha strike that means that Fed players can let firing opportunities pass them by.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To take an analogy from 20th Century naval combat, and even earlier for that matter, the idea if you had bigger guns was to pop at the enemy from within your effective range, but outside of his. Because most ships in the game can make maximum speed, the idea that the lighter-gunned [and therefore faster, usually] ship can simply move until he's out of range no longer applies; you can't simply run away even from a Battleship.

Therefore, he who has the biggest guns should make it a priority to control the range if possible, thereby keeping the enemy within effective range while denying the enemy the same privilege. Of course, disruptors are also a decent long-range weapon but there are certain medium ranges where the phaser-1 is definitely better than both the phaser-2 and disruptor.

This is partly why the phaser-boat configuration works so well for the Orions, especially given their sometimes power advantage, manoeuvrability and stealth coating. Now that is sweet! Smile
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried playing an Orion "phaser boat" once, but from that experience I found that while the Orion has a lot of inexpensive, longer range firepower, it did not have the "knockout punch" that secondary weapons such as disruptors, photons, or even Pl-Fs can give.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

That orion ships sounds nasty.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: post subject Reply with quote

markgeorgetwo wrote:
That orion ships sounds nasty.

Generally speaking, almost any properly flown Orion is nasty... the phaser boat particularly so. Where most wannabe Pirates mess up is in getting too close, or staying too long.

An Orion doesn't have the "padding" that a Fed or Klingon ship does. It rapidly starts losing critical systems quickly; and it's all downhill from there.

Or they "hype" their engines when no needed, or too often and then find that they have so much engine damage, they must continue to hype them to have an adequate amount of power.

Orion's are designed to get in, do the job, and then get out.
DON'T HANG AROUND - That only leads to reinforcements, extra damage, and then jail!!
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

yeah i never have tried the orions.
CaptainDANO
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just played this duel yesterday. These are two evenly matched ships. I was the Fed (as usual) and started a high speed run towards my opponent, he turned away and I didn't get a good shot until the next turn. I think the initial alpha only did 36 points, enough to drop a shield, but not do too much damage. I tried to run at high speed to recharge the photons, of course high speed doesn't leave much energy for weapons, so I only brought two photons online (should have done three). Meanwhile the Klingon was eating up my shields as they are wont to do. I HET'd and launched the two photons I had as double overloads once we'd closed range again, only hit with one and he hit me with a good volley. Since we were both pretty banged up (I had received the worse of the exchange) I retired. We're playing some kind of campaign so it will cost me points, but I think it was best to do that so I didn't get crippled.

I didn't think it would make a big difference to not have batteries charged at the beginning of the duel (as specified somewhere in the scenarios) but it does, the Fed CA, like most ships, never has enough energy to do everything it wants, and once you start losing power from hits it gets even worse. I felt like I was getting a little better handle on the game after this duel.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
I've only tried playing an Orion "phaser boat" once, but from that experience I found that while the Orion has a lot of inexpensive, longer range firepower, it did not have the "knockout punch" that secondary weapons such as disruptors, photons, or even Pl-Fs can give.

Actually, I'm playing the scenario Who is the Mutineer? and I'm playing an orion phaser boat. With engine doubling I actually set a backwards speed of 24 Shocked and still had enough to fire 5 ph-1's into the E4's rear shield. The game is yet to be finished, but it looks good for me right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: