Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some final-steps questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpat wrote:
Well, it didn't take me long to break one of those plastic pins that people warned me about. I was using the plastic stands for some of the small ships, but I of course managed to break off one of the pins in the Orion ship that comes with Squadron Box 3. Should I just try to glue the two pieces (broken stand and miniature) together? Should we try to dig the pin piece out?

Anyone want to make me an offer on some minis? Rolling Eyes

I use these for small ships: http://www.rattleheadgames.com/catalog/WithHostileIntent-RulebooksandAccessoriesProducts.html

just cut down the main post and use these..they work great, you can remove the ships from the stands if you want, and they won't fall off..really nice..but a little price at $1.25/per..but I've never had one break.

For larger minis I use this method (which is a lot cheaper, but takes more time to do):

http://www.star-ranger.com/BasingMinis.htm

did I mention I hate plastic stands? Smile They break all the time..I haven't had much luck with the metal posts either. The two above methods have never failed me or broken. I currently have over 200 minis based on one of the 2 above methods
striker8
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpat wrote:
Well, it didn't take me long to break one of those plastic pins that people warned me about. I was using the plastic stands for some of the small ships, but I of course managed to break off one of the pins in the Orion ship that comes with Squadron Box 3. Should I just try to glue the two pieces (broken stand and miniature) together? Should we try to dig the pin piece out?

Anyone want to make me an offer on some minis? Rolling Eyes

Damn, I hate when that happens! I think every one of my first batch of BFG ships broke off the stand.

You have two options. If you can find a drill bit the same size as the plastic pin you can drill it out with a pin vise. Or, using said pin vise and a bit sized for a paperclip or thick wire you can pin the ship right back onto the base. IF you need a step by step for either option let me know I'm a wiz with a drill.

I gave up on the removable ship idea after all the breakage and now use option two above whenever possible. Though after seeing the adapters TJolley posted the link to I might be going a new route.

My Yahoo page and links to my mini albums http://360.yahoo.com/striker800000
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I think I'm pretty near the point of packing it in, though. I mean, I guess I didn't think it'd be easy, but I didn't expect it to be this hard. Or, rather, I expected that the painting would be the difficult part and the mounting the esay part. Silly me. Anyway, this is starting to sap my interest in FC generally, so it's probably best just to suspend operations. Even if we were to get these done, doing any more just seems, well, uninteresting and unappealing.
striker8
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpat wrote:
Thanks, guys. I think I'm pretty near the point of packing it in, though. I mean, I guess I didn't think it'd be easy, but I didn't expect it to be this hard. Or, rather, I expected that the painting would be the difficult part and the mounting the esay part. Silly me. Anyway, this is starting to sap my interest in FC generally, so it's probably best just to suspend operations. Even if we were to get these done, doing any more just seems, well, uninteresting and unappealing.

If you're getting frustrated take a break for a bit. Everyone here with some experience has gotten frustrated at some point of assembly. In my opinion the assembly is the hardest part hands down.

Play a few games, get a rest, then you can come back fresh and with a new perspective when you don;t feel as frustrated. Just don't give up, the things you're learning now will make everythng easier as you go on. I know I've been there before.

Keep some faith and don't be afraid to ask questions when you run into problems. Things get batter in time.

My Yahoo page and links to my mini albums http://360.yahoo.com/striker800000
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

My wife says we'll get through this. Very Happy
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpat wrote:

I took a 12-year or so break...back at it now..take a break if you need..come back with a fesh start..it's easy to burn out on any one particular game.

Learned a lot recently and only after coming back into the fold did I find the stand thing at a game con..going strong for now....
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpat wrote:

A break may definitely be in order. I got burned out on miniatures painting several years ago. I sold all my minis ( Crying or Very sad really, BIG mistake) and swore off gaming all together. Afte 5 years, I decided that I missed teh relaxation that came from painting minis, so I bought a few Starline mins to paint... and then it snowballed. I only paint when I'm in the mood, so if I go a month or two w/o getting anythig done... so be it.

Take a break and come back refresed and ready, you won't regret it. Painting should be a hobby - not an obsession...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: