Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFU Horror stories...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if Pike (the old one from the original pilot TOS) is also off-limits to the SFU. Not that he is really "needed" for anything, but he would make a good character in the Middle Years.

As for Kirk, he was probably the sneakiest of all the captains we know anything about. Think about the number of times he bluffed or acted in ways he could not back up with available force. I'd call that sneaky.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of bluffing .....

Way back in the late 80s / early 90s, I knew a guy by the name of Marc Elwinger. He was one the the people Petrick used to play against before he left the Army and joined ADB. So to say that Marc was a good player was an understatement.

At any rate, one day he and I and a third guy played a two-on-two scenario. Marc's partner never showed up, so Marc flew two ships: a D7C and a F5L (I'm pretty sure, tho it might have been a D5). I had a Fed CC and the kid had an NCL. Before the game starts, we rolled for Legendary Officers and such. Marc got somethuing for both ships, as I recall, and I got a Captain. Cool!

So we begin the battle going head-to-head. I was leading, with the NCL dropped back a few hexes to my right. Marc lead with the F5L. My plan was to get to range eight and alpha the F5L, then turn left to cirle back and reload. I told the NCL to do the same -- fire at eight, then turn left and stay behind me. The idea was to kill or cripple the small ship and then tag-team the D7C.

Well, the kid staggered his fire, photons on on impulse and the phasers on another. And then he turned right, while I was committed to turning left. Marc unloaded on the NCL at snipping range with good results on the back shields. The F5L was hot on his tail. In essence, we gave Marc the chance to do what I want to do to him.

I tried to cut back around to go help the NCL, and Marc's D7C snapped a HET to get a good shot at me. The F5L dumped all his drones at me, too. I would have been able to evade them, but I had recommitted to the turn, and then the D7 used mid-turn speed change to close and tractor me.

My CC blew up.

But then I remembered the Legendary Captain's ability to save his crew. My dice rolls were snake-eyes followed by a two! I captured a factory-fresh fully-intact (minus some drones) never-fired-upon Klingon D7C Battle Cruiser. Needless to say, the F5L bugged out at that point.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
Sneekiness is cowardly.

That is an opinion, which I don't think holds any water. In fact, from what I have seen and read, history pretty much invalidates the whole idea. Sneekiness is a valid tactical component when available. One form of sneekiness is know as "the element of surprise". Other forms are the "ambush", "feint", "misdirection", etc.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that sneekiness is a tactical requirement.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
I'm wondering if Pike (the old one from the original pilot TOS) is also off-limits to the SFU. Not that he is really "needed" for anything, but he would make a good character in the Middle Years.

Again, anything not already in the SFU when the contract with Paramount was signed is off-limits. That is why some aspects of, say, TAS are off-limits (e.g. the cat-people or the tripod people from the bridge crew), but other things are allowed (e.g. SFG). Since no film personages were ever used in the SFU before, they are off limits.

To be honest, I would not be surprised if all film personages are not specifically totally off limits, anyway.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

i also liked captain christopher pike Wink
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best bluff I pulled off was flying a (by then very battered) Paravian ship against a rather cross Gorn (in SFB).

I'd been shot up pretty badly, and he was coming up to administer the coup-de-grace with a couple of Plasma-Gs; so at the start of the turn, I plotted speed-4...and switched off my firecontrol.

He drew the obvious conclusion, didn't tractor me for some reason I don't recall, and went away to pick on someone else.

He wasn't half annoyed when I told him after the game that I didn't actually have a Wild Weasel at that point (I'd forgotten to start arming the thing on the previous turn).

He was even more racked off when I told him I hadn't had enough power to raise my shields, either...

Come to think of it, I can be quite a sneaky git.
gambler1650
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sneakiest maneuver ever was actually in Star Fleet Command: Orion Pirates (part of the Star Fleet Universe after all, and a great way to get some awesome screen savers).

I was in a four way free for all, everyone in X-cruisers (advanced technology ships found in SFB/SFC but not Federation Commander yet).

I was flying Gorn, there were two Klingons and one Fed.

The two Klingons turned in towards each other a long way away, and the Fed came after me. Well, I took the worst of the attack (it may have been the first time I played Gorn in the game) while the two Klingons knifed each other pretty good, with one dying. I'd been pretty unlucky with my damage, every weapon on the ship was gone but I still had pretty good power and most other systems. Seeing one of the Klingons coming our way, but from a huge distance away, the Fed turned off and went after it without finishing me off. I think he thought I was a lot worse off than I was for power.

So I went the opposite direction, as far as the map would allow, and started repairing my big plasma torpedo (an M on that ship, I believe...).

Got it repaired, and even managed to get one of my other torps fixed, and started charging them as enveloping torps, and swung back in to the main battle about the point that the Klingon went boom. The Fed came back towards me with tattered shields and some internal damage. He ate two enveloping torps which left his ship in worse state than mine had been in after our first encounter, and limped away... I got the comment "That'll teach me to not finish you off next time we play..."

Another enveloped 'M' later and I'd pulled off the win.
RIS_Mace
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sneaky... those Gorn are tough as nails.

I have another one for Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates. I was flying a Klingon C7 against the Romulan WVL in an asteroid belt. After a lot of sabre dancing earlier, the battle was coming to a close with the Romulan having a little more damage. He still had at least one of his R-plasma, though, and was cloaked while I was about 8 hexes away from his rear.

I noticed the Romulan on top of a mine, but he wasn't going fast enough to set it off. Fortunately, there was an asteroid in the distance that just happened to be in the right place... I fired a slow drone at the asteroid, and the drone passed right over the mine, setting it off. It turned out to be the Romulan's nuke mine, and it blew up right next to one of his weak shields. Surprised
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute worst and most embarrasing disaster ever...

Playing a small fleet action with a Black Hole in the middle of the board. Having sneakily used the black hole to dodge a load of weapon fire from the Klingon Ships, I ran into the Romulan WE complete with Plasma-R at short range. "Not a problem" I sneered across subspace, as I threw out ther anchor with an emergency decel and Wild Weasel launch so that the Plasma-R could not hit me.

Pity that the black hole, exerting its strong gravitational pull wasn't fooled by my cunning plan. Cue my NCL drifting gently into oblivion..... Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: