Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pass The Parcel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Pass The Parcel Reply with quote

PASS THE PARCEL
Terry O'Carroll, HMAS New South Wales

Once a drone or suicide shuttle has impacted, there is not much that other ships can do to help the target of the seeking weapon. However, if the impacted weapon is held in a tractor beam, a friendly ship can "unstick" the seeking weapon with its own tractors, by tractoring the drone with its own tractor beams and winning a tractor auction.

Example: A drone impacts ship A, which tractors the drone during Defensive Fire. In the Other Functions phase, Ship B tractors the drone held by Ship A. Since the drone is already tractored, the two ships conduct a tractor auction, which ship B wins by spending an extra point of power. Ship A flies away, leaving the drone held in Ship B's tractor beam, and the drone can be dealt with in the usual ways.

This isn't a very efficient way of dealing with a drone or suicide shuttle, since it costs 3 points of power and two tractors to deal with one seeking weapon. It would be much better to have ship B tractor the seeking weapon before it impacted on Ship A. Still, it can be handy to clear a friendly ship's tractor beams of impacted seeking weapons, so that tractor beam hits won't result in even more damage.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Terry, you are like a loophole seeking missle! Smile

I am not convinced you can attempt to tractor a drone that has impacted another ship. Quite frankly, I would say you can't do it. But the rules don't address that directly, and I will have to leave it to Steve to rule one way or the other.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
MikePowers
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a Seeking Weapon Impacts its target, it is removed from the map; I'd say that anything not on the map cannot be tractored.

Creeping Rulebook strikes again...we'll end up with the same 800-page monster that SFB had before people are done cracking open every loophole they can find. Indeed, that's why SFB had the monster rulebook in the first place!

Last edited by MikePowers on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:16 am; edited 2 times in total
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well. Very Happy I suspected that only the impacted ship could interact with the drone, but there's no special case rules covering it (unlike phasers and drones).
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my God!!!

I made someone's sig!

I have made it!!

Smile Thanks Terry, you made my day.

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikePowers wrote:
Creeping Rulebook strikes again...we'll end up with the same 800-page monster that SFB had before people are done cracking open every loophole they can find. Indeed, that's why SFB had the monster rulebook in the first place!

In all fairness to Terry, each of the loopholes he has found will likely be filled with a sentence each. They are legitimate catches, and won't appreciably add to the size of the rulebook.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFB turned into a huge rulebook not because people found loopholes that had to be plugged. (As Mike West noted, each takes about a sentence.) SFB developed into a huge rulebook because we kept adding cool new ideas (crew quality, passive fire control, swordfish drones, et al) and every one of those new ideas had to include "interaction rules" with all of the other cool new ideas. FC is designed to streamline the system for fast play. SFB players just can't live without their multi-warhead drones but FC players just don't need the clutter.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, Delete this topic, I have processed it for the file.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have deleted all of the other topics you request. I just couldn't delete this one, as it is where my quote made Terry's sig. I just couldn't delete it ...

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, please don't close the thread; this is an interesting rules and tactical discussion!

I have a rules question on this as relates to recapturing already impacted weapons.

We know that an impacted weapon cannot be tractored or fired at by another ship.

We also know that an impacted, tractored drone can hit the ship if the tractor is destroyed by direct fire weapons. If destroyed by a H&R raid, though, it impacts again next Defensive Fire phase. This also happens if the tractor is dropped at the start of the turn.

Now, in that intervening impulse, can another ship tractor the weapon while it is not engaged? In other words, is the drone still counted as impacted?

PS Your name has been a part of terryoc's sig as far back as I can remember1
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drone still counts as being "impacted". No one else can fire on or tractor it.

As for the quote, I joined pretty much the day (or the day after) the FC Forums opened. So, the quote, and Terry's matching signature, all happened a couple months right after the Forums opened (going by the post dates and the join dates). So, yes, Terry has had that signature pretty much from the start of the FC Forums.

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, then, the 'tactic' would be illegal - to grab the drone once the target has 'dropped' it.

Thanks for clarifying that Smile
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a sentimental fool too, let me give you some advice:

Don't Delete it!!!
OrangeCat
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Being a sentimental fool too, let me give you some advice:

Don't Delete it!!!
Yes, man. As an "answer guy", you should abuse power JUST a little. Very Happy

BTW. Don't forget, if you are REALLY desperate to stop a drone, you can always tractor them with ships BEFORE they impact (Range 1) if you can get away with it. Especially if you have used up your guns on other duty.

And you can always tractor drones targeted on a buddy before they impact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: