Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISC prefix for Ship names
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: ISC prefix for Ship names Reply with quote

What prefix is used for ISC ships?

The shipcard for the command cruiser is CSS for Concordium Star Ship but malleman tells me that the ship card from booster #0 (CA), CL #33 (CL), and Com #15 (CA & DD) all show ISCV.

Is ISCV for Interstellar Concordium Vessel?

The starship name registry from this website shows CSS.

I like CSS better.

Are the two prefixes the result of the ships being playtest ships?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not overly keen on the CSS thing.

In my mind, ISCS might work better - since for the Inter-Stellar Concordium, an organisation which espouses 'peace, order and good government', it may be apt to echo the HMCS prefix a certain North American country also founded on that principle uses. Plus, said country has been significantly committed to UN-sanctioned operations here on Earth, which seems appropriate for an ISC Navy used to try and keep the peace, at least in principle.

(As an aside, the only current faction with 'Confederacy' in the name - that of the post-2600 Vulpa - could perhaps use VCS as their prefix. But that is an issue for another time, perhaps...)
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like CSS better. The "bad" connotations help flesh out the full character of the Inter-Stellar Concordium ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then put my vote in for CSS when War & Peace is being finalized.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
I like CSS better. The "bad" connotations help flesh out the full character of the Inter-Stellar Concordium ...

I was under the impression that slavery was illegal in Concordium space.

Given the gradual degree of compromise and co-operation between the five major planets, I'd argue that the gradual development of political union between French, British, Irish and other groups within what is now Canada is somewhat more representative of how the ISC came to be than the secession of a certain set of states from a pre-existing political entity.

(The kind of society that Canadians may take for granted nowadays took a long time to develop, and as someone from a people who would have been caught in the cross-cultural divide had I came here a few generations back, I'm glad it did! Not that it still doesn't have a ways to go, mind you.)

Plus, just as the ISC was part of an allied expedition during Operation Unity, Canadians of all stripes took part in a certain other set of landings one might wish to remember.

Look, I admit that I may be seeing things from a different set of lenses, given my affinity to Canada - and since I come from an island on which one jurisdiction inherited the kind of status that Canada pioneered in what is now the Commonwealth, and the other only managed to get down to at least try and start working out the kind of cross-community co-operation seen in Confederation with signing of the Good Friday Agreement.

(Both of which taking place in the context of the advent of the EU - which, like the ISC, brought many former enemies under a slowly-evolving kind of peaceful union.)

But for me, the choice between echoing either Confederacy or Confederation, when it comes to the Concordium... is simply no choice at all.

So, yeah, ISCS for me, for what it's worth.
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSS (Concordium Star Ship)
http://www.starfleetgames.com/documents/Starship_Name_Registry.pdf
pg 31.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
mjwest wrote:

I was under the impression that slavery was illegal in Concordium space.

Well, two things.

1) I wasn't going for a slavery analog. I was simply making a joke that the ISC had a bit of a dark side to them.

2) If you want to push the point, then, let's go for it. No, they had no slavery in the Concordium. But that is only because the totally insane, barely sentient abominations in spaceships did not reside within their borders. Who knows what measures they would have taken had there been an actual Romulan or Gorn world within their borders?

The ISC are pompous elitists who demand that others bow to their wisdom, or be shot. They are interstellar busy-bodies who are so full of themselves that they are willing to kill anyone who disagrees with them. They are so sure of their own righteousness, they needn't talk, or even listen, to others.

There are ways to describe societies that are so convinced of the superiority of their own beliefs that they will eagerly use violence to impose their beliefs on others. Last I checked, none of them are favorable ...

Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSS is almost certainly right. I've been checking things like that against the Ship Registry and usually SVC agrees with me. Very Happy

We try hard to keep the SFU as consistent as possible across the games.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Well, two things.

1) I wasn't going for a slavery analog. I was simply making a joke that the ISC had a bit of a dark side to them.

And there is a faction in the universe that doesn't?

Quote:
2) If you want to push the point, then, let's go for it. No, they had no slavery in the Concordium. But that is only because the totally insane, barely sentient abominations in spaceships did not reside within their borders. Who knows what measures they would have taken had there been an actual Romulan or Gorn world within their borders?

It would depend on the context.

Were the Gorns contacted peacefully, there's no particular reason to assume that things might have gone somewhat more smoothly between the two - unless a Cestus III-style incident had taken place, which might have taken rather longer for the Concordium to forgive than it did for the Federation.

Especially depending on how the ISC find out about the whole Paravian Guilt thing.

In the case of the Romulans, well, you know, they really are trying to conquer the Galaxy, and had the post-Smarba Romulans been in a position to strike at the ISC before the latter was able to upgrade its Y-era Navy to the three-prong TL12 designs, it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility that they would have taken it.

(Especially considering that none of the outer ring of provinces or battle stations had been established by the ISC at the time of first contact.)

If the worst came to the worst, the ISC may have tried to go for the 'Paravian Solution' - to bottle up the Romulans on their home and colony planets, to prevent them from invading anyone...

...though in terms of practicality, the ISC might have preferred to simply make it easier for, say, the realtively-dovish House Antreidies to become the dominant power in Romulan politics, and thus keep as much of a lid on Imperial ambitions as possible.

In none of those circumstances, however, would I imagine them treating either Gorns or Romulans as slave labour - though perhaps they might have kept the door open for any world, including those of the Suppressed Races, which might have been open to the idea of Concordium membership. (Although, in an example like Tibernia IV's occupation in the midst of the Civil War and Pacification, even the least harsh imposition would have been decried as horrendously intolerable by the Romulans - who are hard to beat in terms of xenophobic arrogance, by and large.)

Quote:
The ISC are pompous elitists who demand that others bow to their wisdom, or be shot. They are interstellar busy-bodies who are so full of themselves that they are willing to kill anyone who disagrees with them. They are so sure of their own righteousness, they needn't talk, or even listen, to others.

Well, when events like those in the scenario Of Things To Come happen when you do try and hold talks with your neighbours, it's somewhat difficult to build up the appropriate degree of trust...

...especially when you notice how one of those neighbours went and launched a massive invasion of a more distant power right in front of you, and the other neighbour seemed only too happy to jump into the resulting fight.

If the manner of first contact wasn't unfortunate enough, the circumstances in the Alpha Octant at the time of the ISC's entry into the wider star-faring community were about as ill-timed as you could imagine.

It might not have helped that by the time the Gorns and Romulans reached an appreciation of the Concordium's size and strength, the two repeatedly petitioned the ISC to join their respective side. Wouldn't that be the best thing to ask a power with a long history of peace, and significant doubts over the trustworthiness of the two - to jump into a war which had already killed millions, and would kill millions more by the war's end?

Even if the ISC tried to say 'let us mediate your dispute', the two would have said 'no, it's okay, we're happy enough killing each other, thanks'.

Quote:
There are ways to describe societies that are so convinced of the superiority of their own beliefs that they will eagerly use violence to impose their beliefs on others. Last I checked, none of them are favorable ...

Yeah, like the Federation pulling a stunt like the Border Declaration of 2502. Such a great peace-making venture... except for the Klingon interests and Kzinti holdings on the 'wrong' side of the demarcation line.

It only took about two or three wars' worth to sort that out.

And that's before you look at how one of their most prominent members is neck-deep in an Octant-spanning criminal syndicate.

Or the way in which they so helpfully provided a species of sentient-being-eating fratricidal slave-masters with the means of further prosecuting a future war of xenocide against a similarly-xenocidal rival empire.

Oh, and surely those billion-plus dead Remans were entirely accidental, no?

There are many ways of looking at each of the powers in the Star Fleet Universe - and by no means are all of them complimentary. The Concordium may have its flaws, and may have made many questionable decisions in its time as an Alpha power, but there is surely a lot more to them than that...

...and compared to empires which do practice slavery, cannibalism, factionalism and xenocide, who would you rather side with?

Indeed, the ironic thing is that the ISC ended up facilitating some of the empires they were trying to keep away from each other by their very presence. Each power made the most of not having to worry too much about their rivals jumping the cordon any time soon, and took the time to build up their own forces. Plus, operations like the destruction of the Burning Torch of Vengeance - undertaken against an expedition which had travelled all the way from the M81 Galaxy just to try and complete the horrific degree of mass xenocide they had carried out with such relish back home - probably did the whole Octant a favour, in the long run.

Although, the Andros might have just gone ahead and thrown two Dominators at the Hive Ship themselves, had the ISC intervention not happened. (Or, they might have held off and let the Selts and Tholians expend their energies against one another, then swept in for the kill when both were at their weakest.)

In any event, the ISC 'learned their lesson' with the whole Andromedan Invasion thing, and seemingly changed their outlook post-Operation Unity. So they can't be quite so bad, can they?

Jean wrote:
CSS is almost certainly right. I've been checking things like that against the Ship Registry and usually SVC agrees with me. Very Happy

Be that as it may, I'll still stick with ISCS for my own purposes...

...though I'll be somewhat disappointed CSS is the only 'official' option.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Quote:

Comparing the ISC to the other empires isn't my point. I have no illusions of the "goodness" of any of the empires, including the Federation. My point is just that the ISC is no better than the rest, and deserving of no particular honor.

Quote:
Were the Gorns contacted peacefully, there's no particular reason to assume that things might have gone somewhat more smoothly between the two - unless a Cestus III-style incident had taken place, which might have taken rather longer for the Concordium to forgive than it did for the Federation.

Which kinda makes my point for me. Let me reword it a bit:
"If the Gorns were smart enough to submit to their betters, things would progress smoothly. If, however, they insisted on their own views or own independence, well, let's just say some 'convincing' would be necessary."

Quote:
...especially when you notice how one of those neighbours went and launched a massive invasion of a more distant power right in front of you, and the other neighbour seemed only too happy to jump into the resulting fight.

Oh, let's see. The ISC object to the neighbour honoring their mutual defense treaties, yet the ISC have no qualms about declaring war on everyone because they don't hold the same beliefs as the ISC.

Sure. OK, why not?

Quote:
Even if the ISC tried to say 'let us mediate your dispute', the two would have said 'no, it's okay, we're happy enough killing each other, thanks'.

And, what is wrong with just keeping their noses out of a conflict that isn't their's? If they feel compelled to offer 'sophont assistance' (I would call it 'humanitarian aid', but there are no humans here), great. But, no, they instead decided the only possible choice was to make war on everyone.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, like the Federation pulling a stunt like the Border Declaration of 2502. Such a great peace-making venture... except for the Klingon interests and Kzinti holdings on the 'wrong' side of the demarcation line.

It only took about two or three wars' worth to sort that out.

You know, I had no intention of making any defense of the Federation POV, but to make any equivalency here is just silly. The Feds declared a border that included disupted areas. Yes, that was a dirty trick. Yes, it was underhanded. Yes, it lead to some long running conflict. But, despite all of that, how can you make any comparison between that and declaring war on everyone? They aren't even in the same realm!

Quote:
Oh, and surely those billion-plus dead Remans were entirely accidental, no?

To a certain extent, they were. But, you must always remember: The Romulans shot first, and didn't stop shooting. The Federation was well within reason to fight the war in such a way as to try and ensure the Romulans would stop shooting for a while after the war.

Which is, again, totally different that what the ISC did. Again, just to be clear, the ISC declared war on everyone. And they hadn't even been shot at! (Sorry, I don't include border disputes here. That's gonna happen.) No one ever actually invaded the ISC or declared war on them. No, instead they just decided everyone was "insane" (i.e. didn't agree with their deeply held philosophies), and attacked. This wasn't to defend themselves, or even secure border regions. Instead, they went as far as they could to impose their beliefs on everyone they knew about.

Quote:
There are many ways of looking at each of the powers in the Star Fleet Universe - and by no means are all of them complimentary. The Concordium may have its flaws, and may have made many questionable decisions in its time as an Alpha power, but there is surely a lot more to them than that...

...and compared to empires which do practice slavery, cannibalism, factionalism and xenocide, who would you rather side with?

Whoa, again, I am in no way defending any of the other empires, whether the Federation, Klingon, or the sophont-eating felines. I am simply putting forth that the ISC ain't that great, either. Their flaws are just different.

Quote:
- probably did the whole Octant a favour, in the long run.

All through history there have been positive and beneficial results from bad, evil, and wrong actions. That doesn't mean that the actions were not bad, evil, or wrong.

Quote:
In any event, the ISC 'learned their lesson' with the whole Andromedan Invasion thing, and seemingly changed their outlook post-Operation Unity. So they can't be quite so bad, can they?

I perfer to think that the ISC were just beaten down to the common mean, rather than "learning their lesson". Smile

I am am not saying they are "really bad", or even worse than anyone else. I am simply saying that they were never better than anyone else. Their flaws were just different.

And, for an additional point, I like that from a literary point of view. I like that the ISC have multiple levels to them, that they are not just 'noble' or 'pacifists' or something. They have nuance. They have some depth. They have some darkness. That is good for the narrative, and good for the SFU.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Nerroth wrote:

Comparing the ISC to the other empires isn't my point. I have no illusions of the "goodness" of any of the empires, including the Federation. My point is just that the ISC is no better than the rest, and deserving of no particular honor.

Yet the Federation gets a number of honors which echo aspects of the United States - G for the National Guards, rather than the L everyone else gets, for example - and even the Hydrans get 'HMS', despite their internal organisation being somewhat removed from that of the United Kingdom.

Quote:
Which kinda makes my point for me. Let me reword it a bit:
"If the Gorns were smart enough to submit to their betters, things would progress smoothly. If, however, they insisted on their own views or own independence, well, let's just say some 'convincing' would be necessary."

That is not my point at all.

I was at no point saying 'the ISC would try to strong-arm the Gorns into joining the Concordium' - though demographically, they would be a significant player if they did.

What I was saying was that if the first contact with the Gorns went as poorly as that between the Gorns and Federation - i.e. had a brash, young Gorn captain vaporize an ISC colony without warning - it might have taken longer than it did between the UFP and Confederation historically for the resulting tensions to simmer down.

(The Feds, with a lot more exposure to rival stellar empires, were not exactly thrilled with the events at Cestus III, but were less shocked than the Concordium body politic would have been in the same type of event.)

However, should first contact go smoothly, there's no reason that the ISC wouldn't have been happy enough to establish at least cordial relations. While they might offer Concordium membership should the Gorns want it, that wouldn't mean they'd take it the wrong way of the Gorns declined.

Quote:
Oh, let's see. The ISC object to the neighbour honoring their mutual defense treaties, yet the ISC have no qualms about declaring war on everyone because they don't hold the same beliefs as the ISC.

Sure. OK, why not?

Well, when a UN peacekeeping force is sent into a conflict zone, or deployed between two armed camps, does that count as the countries sending those peacekeepers declaring war on the powers in question?

If it does, Canada (and Ireland) would have a somewhat different set of history books than they do at present.

And even then, the example of Canada is perhaps a useful one. While Canadian forces only deploy under operations with a UN remit - hence the reluctance to go to Iraq - there is a difference between the more 'keeping the peace' deployments, such as those on Cyprus, and the more combat-oriented roles Canadian soldiers took part in during the Korean War and now in Afghanistan. Similarly, while there were a few 'combat-oriented' engagements that the ISC took on, such as the targeting of the Hive Ship, the bulk of the deployments were more of the keeping-rivals-apart sort of thing.

And if the part about the Organians 'inviting' or 'facilitating' the Pacification has any sort of truth to it, well it's not quite as good as having a UN mandate, but it's better than nothing.

Quote:
And, what is wrong with just keeping their noses out of a conflict that isn't their's? If they feel compelled to offer 'sophont assistance' (I would call it 'humanitarian aid', but there are no humans here), great. But, no, they instead decided the only possible choice was to make war on everyone.

If the ISC were making war on everyone, as in following the examples set before, during and after the General War, they'd have been trying to conquer the Octant, not go to all of the trouble to try and keep the Alliance and Coalition apart.

Did some, or maybe all, of the locals see this as an intrusion? Governments and navies, maybe - but then, the Taliban don't want UN forces in Helmand province either.

Would the rights of those civilians on worlds which would have been caught in the crossfire of a second General War - or the slave/subject/pre-warp worlds which had no say on what their masters, or their masters' enemies, had in store for them - been better served had the Concordium not intervened?

I'm not saying that the the Pacification Campaign was the greatest of ideas, or indeed that it's something the ISC had to do (if even the Romulans have the dovish Antreidies, surely the Concordium would have had many who would have voiced their disapproval for the plan) but if the goal of those who did run the Pacification was to try and 'keep the peace', there should be at least some scope for taking them at their word, rather than writing them off as yet another set of would-be conquerors.

Quote:
You know, I had no intention of making any defense of the Federation POV, but to make any equivalency here is just silly. The Feds declared a border that included disupted areas. Yes, that was a dirty trick. Yes, it was underhanded. Yes, it lead to some long running conflict. But, despite all of that, how can you make any comparison between that and declaring war on everyone? They aren't even in the same realm!

As I said, the Pacification was no ordinary campaign - and the ISC, unlike the Federation, were not doing this to try and increase their own core territory.

The closest thing to that the ISC did was the expansion into the outmost ring of provinces in 2568-2572, and those weren't occupied or claimed by anyone at that time - potential spoiling efforts aside.

Even the short-term occupations which went on during the Pacification, such as that of Tibernia IV or Dionaea, were not intended to say 'hey, locals, you now have the privilege of joining us' - the way that, for example, Cygnus was as a consequence of the Border Declaration.

Of course, you could argue that Cygnus and others in the area were better off under Federation influence - but was the way in which this happened an example of Federation noblesse oblige, or the consequence of raw territorialism?

Quote:
To a certain extent, they were. But, you must always remember: The Romulans shot first, and didn't stop shooting. The Federation was well within reason to fight the war in such a way as to try and ensure the Romulans would stop shooting for a while after the war.

Including committing a horrendous act of xenocide in the process?

For those of us familiar with the Federation side of things, of course it's clear that the Remus incident was a terrible accident - Star Fleet did not send a ship with the express purpose of commiting mass murder on such a scale.

However, if you are looking at these events from the point of view of a relatively new (in the context of being exposed to the wider Octant) power, which is wary of its neighbours, struggling with the issue of how the peace they had taken to be for granted is in such short supply elsewhere, and not exactly being in a position to trust the good intent of anyone (including the Federation), how would the loss of Remus look to you?

Nothing in their history would have prepared them for a sight like this - and the consequences in terms of being able to accept the Alliance at its word in future endeavours even lower than it may have been already.

Quote:
Which is, again, totally different that what the ISC did. Again, just to be clear, the ISC declared war on everyone. And they hadn't even been shot at! (Sorry, I don't include border disputes here. That's gonna happen.) No one ever actually invaded the ISC or declared war on them. No, instead they just decided everyone was "insane" (i.e. didn't agree with their deeply held philosophies), and attacked. This wasn't to defend themselves, or even secure border regions. Instead, they went as far as they could to impose their beliefs on everyone they knew about.

Again, it's not as simple as that.

Even leaving aside the issue of Organian involvement or not (which probably didn't matter much anyway) they were 'forcing' for the most part only so much as to try and keep one set of forces from trying to kill the other.

If they really wanted to uphold their philosophies, they would have gone all-out to knock off at least those 'tyrannical' governments which acted against the interests of their subjects - like the Lyrans and Kzintis (you can't get more 'against the interests' of a subject people than eating them!) - but they didn't.

Should they have perhaps tried to do things a different way? Probably.

Would they have regrets over the choices made? Some of them, yes.

But were they all-out to impose their views on all and sundry? Not quite to the extent that you might put it.

Quote:
Whoa, again, I am in no way defending any of the other empires, whether the Federation, Klingon, or the sophont-eating felines. I am simply putting forth that the ISC ain't that great, either. Their flaws are just different.

But that's just it - the ISC, or at least those in Concordium society who would have been in favour of the Pacification, would have made their own decisions in the context of the very powers they would be sending their ships, bases, officers and crewbeings to try and keep tabs on.

If having security stations on ships to watch over second-class subject species, serving up roast Hydran for dinner, or having an officially-sanctioned goal of total galactic dominance don't count as worse flaws than what you might find in Concordium space, what would?

Had the rest of the Octant been as peaceful as, say, the Gorn-Federation border - or, indeed, had the ISC made contact during the less blood-soaked Middle Years - there likely would have been no Pacification.

Quote:
All through history there have been positive and beneficial results from bad, evil, and wrong actions. That doesn't mean that the actions were not bad, evil, or wrong.

But even then, are are degrees of such - even if the Pacification was a terrible mistake, it was not even close to being as bad as some other things one might find in Alpha history books.

Quote:
I perfer to think that the ISC were just beaten down to the common mean, rather than "learning their lesson". Smile

I wouldn't necessarily take any sense of schadenfreude over the ISC's brush with Andromedan-themed death, but then you might have guessed by now that, issues over the Pacification aside, I have an affinity with them setting-wise.

(Indeed, they were the ones who inspired me to take the leap into the Star Fleet Universe, back in the day - after being exposed to Taldren's take on them in SFC2.)

But leaving that aside, the most prominent outlook could have remained the way it had been at the time of the Pacification - and there are empires out there who kept their hatreds and long-term goals even after the Andromedan onslaught - but instead, they took a different path.

That has to count for something.

Quote:
I am am not saying they are "really bad", or even worse than anyone else. I am simply saying that they were never better than anyone else. Their flaws were just different.

If anything, I'd peg them (in the overall run of history, from the Early Years through the end of Operation Unity) as being broadly on the same level as the Feds and Gorns, in terms of how life is for your average Concordium citizen.

I sure as hell wouldn't think that life with the Kzintis or Lyrans would be any better, even if I were a Kzinti or Lyran!

Or live on a world under Andromedan occupation or Souldra scouring, for that matter.

Quote:
And, for an additional point, I like that from a literary point of view. I like that the ISC have multiple levels to them, that they are not just 'noble' or 'pacifists' or something. They have nuance. They have some depth. They have some darkness. That is good for the narrative, and good for the SFU.

If you've seen the kind of stuff I've been trying to get published for the ISC, you'd see that I agree with you, in terms of adding flavour and nuance and so forth to the Inter-Stellar Concordium.

But that does not mean I'd go so far as to make the 'dark' aspects as low as they are for many others.

Misguided (for a time) or not, they are still one of the more hopeful aspects of the Star Fleet Universe, at least in my mind - proof that the SFU Federation, unlike the way the UFP has often been shown on TV Trek, does not have a monopoly on building enduring multi-species partnerships.

And I like it that way.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm going to be blunt about this, but if someone can't accept the idea of "Concordium Space Ship" because "CSS" was also used by the Southern States during the American Civil War --- GET A LIFE!!! I'm really tired of people that look for "hidden meanings" in things to claim they're somehow offensive.

A couple years ago, I let someone read a story I was writing. It was "great", until he ran across a minor character whose name was supposedly a racist comment on my part. Sorry, but all I did was flip the phone book open to a random page and stab my finger down: Masterson. But how dare I use "the master's son" as a character in a future sci-fi fiction story? Didn't I know it meant the illegitimate child born to a slave, of course? So it just "had to be" an intentional statement on my part to use that name. The guy wouldn't beleive me on this, but no, it wasn't. It was just a name picked at random. But I just haven't had the heart to continue writing since that event. So, again, GO GET A LIFE!!!

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A

Last edited by Sgt_G on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politically correct is the official term for blocking free speech ---

Mostly because too many look at the last action in an event and not the long term lead up to final breath ----

Its so easy to write a law or bill to make something right, but few look ahead to see what overall affect it will have, in many cases that affect is contrary to what it was designed for ---

If their skin is that thin, then they should stay away from sharp objects (subjects) ---
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GO GET A LIFE!!!

If only it were so easy...

For clarity's sake, only part of my dislike of the CSS thing is to do with the Confederacy - the rest is tied to my preference for ISCS instead.

Since, you know, I might actually want to be for something, not just against something else.

Although, I suppose I could imagine someone using 'HMCS' to describe His Hydran Majesty's Colonial Ship... but that's just an aside.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that CSS is inappropriate for the ISC--

[political comment deleted]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: