Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PPD Rules Change Proposal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the power of overloaded PPDs is a problem, how about modifying the system to give a +1 per additional pulse fired? Here my modification of the original proposal from the first post of this thread:

1) Allow partial overloads of PPDs. 2 extra energy allows 5 pulses and 4 extra energy allows 6 pulses.

2) Each additional pulse adds a +1 to the to hit roll

3) A final number less than or equal to the to hit number is maximum hits. Each point over the to hit number reduces the number of hits by 1.

Under the system from the original post, a 4 pulse attack with a 9 to hit results in 3.72 average hits. A 6 pulse attack results in 5.72 average hits.

Under my system with 9 base target number:

1) A 4 pulse attack results in 3.72 average hits. A 9 or less results in 4 hits. A 12 is 1 hit.

2) A 5 pulse attack results in 4.44 average hits. A 8 or less results in 5 hits. A 12 is 1 hit.

3) A 6 pulse attack results in 5.03 average hits. A 7 or less results in 6 hits. A 12 is 1 hit.

This should better balance PPD overload damage if it's perceived as being too unbalancing.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the PPD rules as they are presented in FCRRB-5. I think they capture the flavour very well, which to me is very important.
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, the RRB does include the two changes I listed above:
1) Single to-hit roll.
2) No overloads.

mojo jojo wrote:
If the power of overloaded PPDs is a problem, how about modifying the system to give a +1 per additional pulse fired?

The concern with overloads is not the power required. Quite frankly, that isn't really that much of a problem. (Steep, but not a real problem.)

The problem is that overloaded PPDs in the FC implementation are extremely powerful. Plus, they are as easy to use as any other weapon's overload function. In SFB, overloaded PPDs are extremely difficult to use because of the very restricted range in which they can fire, and the need to stay in that range for six sub-pulses. Not to mention the other options available in SFB to try and mitigate the damage somewhat (e.g. turning).

Therefore, (as mentioned earlier in the thread) instead of adding in a whole bunch of rules that makes it more difficult to effectively employ overloads, they were simply eliminated. That way you get the same effect (no real use of overloads) with the minimum of fuss. It does technically eliminate an option, but it also simplifies greatly.

Finally, do note that even the PPD rules in the RRB are considered playtest. The rules can change prior to final publication in War & Peace if sufficient evidence is provided to change them. The fact that they have changed some should be proof of that ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I didn’t make my proposal clear. If so, I apologize.

I wasn’t thinking of adding +1 per level of overload to the energy cost of the weapon, but to the To Hit roll. IOW, instead of needing a 2-9 at 4-8 hex range, you would need a 2-8 with a 5 shot pulse and a 2-7 with a 6 shot pulse to get maximum hits. Each pip over what’s needed on the 2d6 roll would reduce the total number of hits by 1.

Example:

1) A 4 shot pulse is being fired at 18 hexes which needs 2-7 to hit. A 7 or less on 2d6 would result in 4 hits. An 8 on 2d6 would result in 3 hits. A 9 on 2d6 would result in 2 hits. A 10 on 2d6 would result in 1 hit. A 11 or 12 on 2d6 would result in 0 hits.

2) A 4 shot pulse is being fired at 8 hexes which needs a 2-9 to hit. A 9 or less on 2d6 would result in 4 hits. A 10 on 2d6 would result in 3 hits. A 11 on 2d6 would result in 2 hits. A 12 on 2d6 would result in 1 hit. A 13 on 2d6 (possible with shifts) would result in 0 hits.

3) A 5 shot pulse is being fired at 8 hexes. Normally, a 2-9 is needed to hit. However, since it’s overloaded by 1 pulse, a +1 is added to the 2d6 roll and a net 2-8 is needed to hit. An 8 or less on 2d6 would result in 5 hits. A 9 on 2d6 would result in 4 hits. A 10 on 2d6 would result in 3 hits. A 11 on 2d6 would result in 2 hits. A 12 on 2d6 would result in 1 hit. A 13 on 2d6 (possible with shifts) would result in 0 hits.

4) A 6 shot pulse is being fired at 8 hexes. Normally, a 2-9 is needed to hit. However, since it’s overloaded by 2 pulses, a +2 is added to the 2d6 roll and a net 2-7 is needed to hit. A 7 or less on 2d6 would result in 6 hits. An 8 on 2d6 would result in 5 hits. A 9 on 2d6 would result in 4 hits. A 10 on 2d6 would result in 3 hits. A 11 on 2d6 would result in 2 hits. A 12 on 2d6 would result in 1 hit. A 13 on 2d6 (possible with shifts) would result in 0 hits.

I think this method can balance overloads while being nice, elegant, easy to use and remember.

As a note, I don't have the latest PPD rules. I just picked up the game system (both Border and 6 Attack packs) last week, so it's possible that I'm missing something. Smile
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FCs point is the ease of play ---

Plus its very near cross-over of rules from SFB, if your gonna make that many changes to PPD, just go back and play SFB, otherwise your just cluttering up things where its not easy to plug and play anymore ---
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see any complexity with the proposed rules. You just need to remember 2 things:

1) Roll 2d6. Every number above the target number reduces the number of hits by 1.

2) Add +1 To Hit for each level of overload selected.

How is this in any way difficult to use or remember?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it isn't hard. It actually works pretty well, pushing the two overload pulses "down" the base to-hit, rather than up.

But the problem was not the implementation of the overload function, but rather the effect. Even with the slightly worse odds to hit, it would still be more powerful in FC than in SFB. In other words, it doesn't disadvantage the overload enough.

I do like the presentation, though. It is a nice way to effectively move the target number without changing the chart.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: