Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Command Notes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Command Notes Reply with quote

We are starting to organize a system of publishing "Command Notes" which are short items about federation commander tactics.

We have done this for decades for SFB (Term Papers) and F&E (Tactical Notes) and have done it now and then for other games.

Basically, I will drop by now and then and copy interesting tactics into a file. The papers will be checked for legality (usually by Mike West before I copy them.) A panel of experts will then "grade" the papers and the papers with the highest grades will be published in Captain's Log. A point system results in a military rank; it takes 20 papers to be a "Captain". Since you can only have one paper published per issue, this can take a while, but points for FC, F&E, and SFB count together so in theory you could do six papers a year and see captaincy in 3.5 years. It's something to work for; I think there are three or four captains now and that counts papers written in 1985.

Anything posted here is likely to get sucked into the term paper machine, so pay attention to your writing. Phrases like "running phaser and drone battle" are punchier than "when I fought my buddy in a Klingon ship". Proper english and a lack of abbreviations, slang, jargon, and acronyms help. If you write "The Fed will probably overload" then I have to retype that as "The Federation captain will probably overload" which makes my fingers sore, so cut me some slack and write this like a hard copy memo to your boss, not an email to your bowling buddy.

In cases where papers were written informally, the editing staff will often add fluffy stylish battle comments to make your paper more readable, and you won't know about it until you read it in Captain's Log. anybody CAN email me and ask for a copy of whatever FCnotes are in my file, and if I'm not busy I might show them to you. Twisted Evil
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and yeah, we like to list the "ship you serve on" which is conveniently named for your state (US) or province (otherwise). For example, if Steve Petrick wrote something, he would be listed as "Captain Steven P Petrick, USS Texas". If my good friend Loren Knight wrote something, it would be listed as "Ensign Loren Knight, USS California". If Terry O'Carroll's paper gets published, he would be "Cadet Terry O'Carroll, HMAS Australia" (or, if he actually tells me what part of Australia, he might be listed on HMAS New South Wales or whatever). We're not terribly picky about this, so you can pick your permanent home, ancestral home, termporary home, or whatever. If you are in Iraq (or away at college, or on a temporary work assignment) but your home is in Ohio, you are on USS Ohio unless you just want to be somewhere else. (Like I would know or care if somebody from Ohio wanted be on USS Oklahoma because he once went to school there.) If we're in a good mood, we let people be in major cities, such as USS Chicago or IJNS Kyoto. Non-US, just let us know the proper form for your nation's warships, such as HSwMS (His Swedish Majesty's Ship). We want you to be proud of your tactical paper and show your grandmother than you had something you wrote published.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTENTION: Captain's Log 35 will have an extensive FC Tactics Section, just like term papers for the other games. I will send the FC tactical papers to grading in about three weeks (no later than 1 May; somebody remind me). I will NOT go dig around in topics trying to harvest tactical notes. I will only send to grading those papers sent by email to me. Be sure to include your home state or province or nation so I can list you being on that ship. This is your chance to "get your name in the paper" and earn pretty cool "street creds" with your homies.
Petrick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is to Confirm that I came here looking for Command Notes for Federation Commander for Captain's Log #38
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: