Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon Attack Question?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Klingon Attack Question? Reply with quote

What Ships (And they're point values and weapons) come in Klingon Attack?

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master. Ship. Charts...
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before:
Look at the online Master Ship Chart!!!

It lists every ship in the game including point values at both scales, what product it came in, and even if the ship card has been updated or distributed in a larger size in Communique.

[Inflammatory post edited by author.]

Public Apologies offered to all who may have been offended by a crass and unprovoked response to a previous post.

Last edited by Scoutdad on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Master Ship Chart.

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."

Last edited by USS Enterprise on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enterprise, KA includes:
FT
F-POL
F-BCJ
K-E4
K-D5
K-D5W
Z-CM
Z-NCA
Z-NCC
Z-DN
Z-BCH
Z-DW
T-DD
O-LR
O-SAL
And the booster bonus ships:
F-CF
K-FD7
Z-CF

Last edited by pinecone on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Requete
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Klingon Attack Question? Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
What Ships (And they're point values and weapons) come in Klingon Attack?

One place that's a great resource to look for generic information is BoardGame Geek. It is a rather neat resource with a lot of information. However, the downside is that the site rather overwhelmingly supports online retailers rather than brick-and-mortar stores... which cuts the throat of the hobby and is rather like cows buying stock in Burger King.

Still, you can navigate from the main page to a variety of FedCom products and find reviews, detailed lists of contents, and pictures.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Federation_Commander_series

In short, support your local retailer but make use of the website for info.

----

Pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy:
http://www.catholicity.com/prayer/divinemercy.html
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you piney.

Guys, please calm down.

Enterprise, if you didn't want to dig through the Master Ship Chart, you could have also simply gone to the Klingon Attack product page, where the ships are explicitly listed.

Unfortunately, not all product pages list the ships like that, but all have a fairly nice picture for the "16 Ship Cards" spare part item. The 16 Ship Cards picture for Klingon Attack is particularly clear.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
MajerBlundor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on the Federation Commander logo at the top of this page and then navigate to the product list and then Klingon Attack you get the following info which is different from mjwest's

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/klingon_attack.shtml

As a relative newcomer to FC I too have found product information confusing.

This just seems silly if one is trying to sell product.

MB
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response, I will edit my own response. I'd like to publicly apologise for my response.

Also, Is there a reason that in Romulan Attack (Which I own) there are a lot of Gorn and Romulan ships against just 2 Fed Ships, but apparently in Klingon Attack there are 3 Fed Ships and a whole lot more Kzinti than Klingon? What I am asking is are there a different number of ships on each front?

"Live long and Prosper."
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
Also, Is there a reason that in Romulan Attack (Which I own) there are a lot of Gorn and Romulan ships against just 2 Fed Ships, but apparently in Klingon Attack there are 3 Fed Ships and a whole lot more Kzinti than Klingon? What I am asking is are there a different number of ships on each front?

I'm not certain... but I'm willing to hazrd a guess...

The sets are limited to 16 cards in the core box set and with three generations of Romulan ships to choose representative samples from, that's just the way it worked...
Also consider that many of the Federation ships had already been produced in either KB, KA, or RB... so there's no a lot of frontline Federation ships left to produce.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'dad got it right.

That each Border and Attack module has 16 ship cards gives a pretty hard limit to what can be done. Also, the ship mix to be covered influences these decisions, too.

For example, in Klingon Border, not only where there the Federation, Klingons, and Kzinti, but you also had a Tholian ship, and an Orion ship. In Romulan Border, it was only the Federation, Romulans, and Gorns. That means there were two more "slots" available for the main three empires in Romulan Border, as opposed to Klingon Border, meaning that two ships that might have been deferred to Romulan Attack instead got published in Romulan Border.

Another consideration is that the Federation was represented in all four products. Romulan Attack was the fourth product. As such, by the time it came around, there just weren't that main Federation ships to choose from. And, as 'dad says, there are a lot of Romulan ships to choose from.

Again, there are only 16 "slots" for ships in each product. (Really, there are only 15 slots, as 1 is usually a monster.) As such, each of those selections is made to try and make as strong a product as possible, and to provide the best possible coverage each included empire. There is no set rule or allotment that all modules will match.

Requete
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a related question which is hopefully of interest:

Romulan Border contains later Fed ships than Klingon Border (NCA vs CA, NCL vs CL, etc.).. is this because the Romulan invasion was 2 years later than the Klingon invasion, or is it due to strategic or logistical reasons, or is it arbitrary?

----

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requete wrote:
Romulan Border contains later Fed ships than Klingon Border (NCA vs CA, NCL vs CL, etc.).. is this because the Romulan invasion was 2 years later than the Klingon invasion, or is it due to strategic or logistical reasons, or is it arbitrary?

It is just the way it worked out.

Most of it was determined by what had to be included in the first product. For the Federation, there were two ships that had to be included: the venerable CA, and the CL. The CA had to be included, well, isn't it obvious? The most identifiable Fed ship (the CA) had to be included in the introductory product. The CL had to be included because it had armor. (You can't include rules for armor and not have a ship with armor included.) The other nice thing about the CL is that it served as an effective replacement for the DD which could not be included. With those two, that pretty much locked Klingon Border into using the "old" series ships.

Romulan border then needed some ships, so it got the "new" equivalents. So, it got the NCA instead of the CA, the NCL instead of the CL, and the DW instead of the FF. (Conveniently, the Feds had plasma armed variants of the DN and BC.) And, no Fed ship had to have armor, because the Romulan Eagle was included, which had armor.

So, to answer the question, the selection was not made for in-game strategic or logistical reasons, but rather because of the external needs of the game. Probably not the answer you expected, but there you are.

Requete
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:

So, to answer the question, the selection was not made for in-game strategic or logistical reasons, but rather because of the external needs of the game. Probably not the answer you expected, but there you are.

Pretty interesting, though. I had gotten the impression that maybe the newer ships were over on the Romulan border for some reason, or that they were in production contemporary with the Romulan invasion. Guess not.
Smile

----

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, by Klingon Attack it means that it holds scenarios about the, well, Klingon Attack. I got confused before too. I mean, just 4 Klingon ships in a product that had their name as a headline? One of them was only in the boosters to top that Wink .

Also, thanks for calming down everyone. I too will edit my post, as there is no reason to leave a reminder of a bad memory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: