Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cloaking Devices?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Cloaking Devices? Reply with quote

Do the SFU (Not just FC, but SFB or any other game) Have any ships other than Romulans or Orions who have cloaks?

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cloaking Devices? Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
Do the SFU (Not just FC, but SFB or any other game) Have any ships other than Romulans or Orions who have cloaks?

No. Only the Romulans and Orions use the cloaking device in the SFU.

Oh, wait. The simulator empire called the FRAX have a line of "submarine" ships that use cloaking devices. But they aren't "real".

Federation Commander Answer Guy
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that a complete joke?

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:

No. One of the Simulator Races in Modual C4 (If i remember correctly)really are called the Frax and they do use Submarine Taticts and have a Cloaking System.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a simulator race?

"Live long and Prosper."
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:

No. It was the actual answer to your question.

Quote:

It is an empire that doesn't really exist in the SFU, but is rather a race made by one of the empire's academies to train their students in dissimilar combat (or some other exercise). They are made to embody some concept or are built for some specific purpose. But they don't "exist" and as such can have systems that would otherwise violate the base rules.

Take the FRAX for example. They are a simulator empire created by the Klingons to give their students something different and unexpected to fight in the combat simulators. The main ships are based on surface naval vessels. As such, their heavy weapon armaments are split between forward and aft and give FX and RX arcs (thus their name).

Later they were also given cloaked ships called subs, which had special weapons that could be fired while under cloak. While no "real" weapon in the game can fire under cloak, since the FRAX are only a simulator empire, they don't have to follow this hard rule and can.

There are multiple other empires, too. The Qari are designed like tanks with their heavy weapons in turrets (made by the Feds). The Sharkhunters are uniquely designed to hunt down and kill ships under cloak (made by the Romulans). There are others besides them, too.

All of the simulator empires are collected in the SFB Module C4. A couple of the minor empires got extra ships, and one new simulator empire was introduced, in Module P6.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
SFB module C4 is simulator races...
The theory is that each Empire in the Octant has created a "simulator race" to test thier academy cadets against. Each simultor race has different weapons and tactics...
edit: Mike is typing faster than Tony is today...
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Take the FRAX for example.....As such, their heavy weapon armaments are split between forward and aft and give FX and RX arcs (thus their name).

Ah! I never knew that! But of course it makes sense Wink

USS-E, regarding the cloaking device, the rulebook does give you the option to add a cloak to any race you like, and the method of modifying ships' point values. So if you want a cloaked Klingon frigate, add a cloaking device and - I think - +20% to the point value. And there you have it. Feel free to experiment!
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:

Take the FRAX for example. They are a simulator empire created by the Klingons to give their students something different and unexpected to fight in the combat simulators. The main ships are based on surface naval vessels. As such, their heavy weapon armaments are split between forward and aft and give FX and RX arcs (thus their name).

Semi OT: I'm not very familiar with the simulator races, but were the Frax designed to be almost like superior Klingons? Klingons have great firing arcs, but even their disruptors can't fire completely around the RX arc. Are the Frax designed to sabre dance around at medium-long range in order to teach the Klingons to beat them at their own game?
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Frax were designed to emulate modern wet-navy ships. Modern naval vessels have their primary guns in turrets at the bow and stern that basically use FX and RX firing arcs. The Frax are arranged similarly - with the exception of their "submarine" ships.

Edit - Actually, a better comparison would probably be to WW1 and WW2 warships - before the advent of aircraft carriers and missile ships removed the supremacy of the big guns.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

Wink i have aready done the pts for klingon cloaks. i think the topic is on this forum Cool my mate has used a fed ca cloaked Wink Shocked
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: post subject Reply with quote

markgeorgetwo wrote:
Wink i have aready done the pts for klingon cloaks. i think the topic is on this forum Cool my mate has used a fed ca cloaked Wink Shocked

Ah! So you admit to violation of the Treaty of Algeron! We shall join our Romulan brothers in your destruction!
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, remember, the Feds didn't build a cloak, they stole a cloak. Also, The Romulans making the new cloak was also out of the bounds of the treaty, I think.

And don't use the neutral zone violation as an excuse, either. The Rommies sent a WE across our borders, so they are not free of fault.
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: cloaking devices ? Reply with quote

and the senators through up their arms in protest over the feds claim of a WE crossing the neutral zone. why this propoganda keeps being tossed about by the federation is disappointing at best. and on the subject of neutral zone violations. we did not blatantly cross it to steal romulan state property.
SWO_Daddy
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late coming to this one...but I really dig the Frax. If there was ever a simulator race that should be added to FC, the Frax are it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: