Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon Attack Question?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you guys understand your marketing better than I do, but I'm a sucker who would buy any of these as regular products as opposed to briefings. I love the briefings and the price, but I'd still pay the $30-60 for the higher quality bundles as well.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, four or five years is plenty of time to get all of that work done. And I would buy those things you're afraid to do, SVC.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the podcast from Origins and the amount of work involved, I'm wondering if doing those ship card diagrams could be "farmed out" to someone else? Perhaps a couple of trusted staff-at-large?

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a Briefing necessarily require another 72 Ship Cards?

Depending on the circumstance, maybe a smaller number (16, or 24, or 32) could be enough to make do.

If I use Omega as an example, there are 21 currently-published navies in SFB, all of which require at least one distinct weapon or other type of system to be ported over alongside their SSDs.

But then, that also means that as with the Alpha Octant, there's no particular reason to try to do it all at once anyway.

So, one could stick with a smaller sample of ships from 4 or 5 empires, akin to the spread seen in Klingon Border. One could pick a selection from the FRA (the transplanted 'TV species') and Męsrons (arguably the central player in Omega history) as well as, say, the Trobrin (the most prominent 'aggressor empire') Iridani (their quest ships can go anywhere) and Bolosco (who trade all over) and/or Qixa (ditto - you could use the three trading ships and ignore the rules for their home Cloud initially, the same way the Tholians were only partially intoduced prior to Tholian Attack).

Throw in a few of the civilian ships and you'd have more than enough to get you started, while keeping the number of pages needed for printing weapon rules down at the same time.

If there is later demand for other Omega empires, they could be introduced 2-4 at a time, and partnered the way Alpha ones are. (Similar to Tholian-Seltorian, Lyran-WYN-Hydran and others, groups like Drex-Ymatrian-Worb and Loriyill-Singer-Souldra go well together.)

And if not, that would be unfortunate... but at least the door would be open should things change in the future.

Also, when it comes to the Jindarians, if there is no room in a colour supplement for them (maybe alongside the Paravians and Carnivons, the way the Vudar were added to War and Peace?) could some of their ships go into a briefing by themselves, alongside other various bits of material?

(If another briefing using the kind of layout seen back in Briefing #1 was done, their ships could make for an interesting addition there, and not take up too much space in the process.)
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it doesn't appear Jindarians are in the near future (if at all), I'm thinking their SFB SSDs look easy enough to bring over for now. Although I enjoyed the options in SFB, I can't remember a time I ever tried playing them. I can see why Steve is reluctant to work on them yet. I can't imagine they'd be a big revenue maker and the baseline races aren't fleshed out yet.
USS Enterprise
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the "Reflection Univerrse," will these races be based off the ones in the real mirror universe (Exc. Terran Empire) But have different names. I don't think (Yet I don't know, the rest of you probably do) that it would be against copyright to essentially recreate the Terran Empire, so long as you don't use the name.[/quote]

"Since my customary greeting would seem entirely self serving, I will simply say good luck."

"Live long and Prosper."
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Enterprise wrote:
Going back to the "Reflection Univerrse," will these races be based off the ones in the real mirror universe (Exc. Terran Empire) But have different names. I don't think (Yet I don't know, the rest of you probably do) that it would be against copyright to essentially recreate the Terran Empire, so long as you don't use the name.

The idea is to make a single change in the established history and make changes from there. The single change that was decided on is that Surak dies unexpectedly, and it is his followers that leave to become the "Romulans". This means that the character, nature, and relative power of the Vulcans and Romulans are completely reversed.

So, that means the "Reflections Universe" is inspired by the TOS episode, but is not directly based on it.

For more conversation on the Reflections Universe, please use the Reflections Universe topic on the Legacy BBS.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the ships be any different, or just the History?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, please go to the discussion in the Legacy BBS if you want more detailed information on what is being discussed. If you post any ideas here, they will NOT be considered. You must do that on the Legacy BBS.

pinecone wrote:
Will the ships be any different, or just the History?

The vast majority of the ships will be identical.

The LogRomulans (short for "Logical Romulans" who are called "Romulans" but act like Vulcans) will use Romulan designs and ships. The will develop warp on a normal timeframe (since the Gorns didn't sabotage them) and will have far fewer "KR" designs, but other than that they are standard Romulan ships.

The ImperialFeds (I have no idea what they will be called; this is just my shorthand) will use standard Federation designs, but will get their "war refits" much earlier. They might get a few other "munchkin" designs, too.

The other empires should have no ship changes. They might have slightly different ship selections, but individual ships should be the same.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: