Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gorn Anchor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Gorn Anchor Reply with quote

Ok, being relatively new to FC but being an old SFB player (err veteran SFB player), I was wondering about the Gorn Anchor. It's been a while, but it's where you tractor a target ship to eat your plasmas so that speed is lessened on your target.

Last night, I was a Seltorian and my opponent (young and inexperienced) was a Gorn. Yeah, I'm still trying to see if I can get the Seltorian to work for my play style. Anyways, I explained the Gorn Anchor before the game and he tried it on me when we got close enough. Of course, with the instant power bids I was able to negative tractor it away each time. It got me thinking. Is it even a viable tactic anymore in FC? If so, how do you set up your opponent to get it into place?
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this topic.
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That was really well written. You know, I looked through a group of the topics and even did a search on this and it never popped on my search list. I wouldn't have asked if I could have found it easily. Thanks you!
pmiller13
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that plasma's launched from range 1 are unavoidable for a ship going speed 24 unless that ship has power to accelerate. So attempting to anchor when you have the exact same amount of power available as the target is perfectly fine. Either the target gets anchored and hit by the torps or he breaks the tractor but does not have the power to accelerate away and gets hit anyway. Anchoring works great as a power sink. Let’s say I have 10 power left and the target has 13 available. I attempt to tractor them. Since I have torps ready and they know it he starts to fight the tractor. I dump all my power (10) and he defeats me by spending 10 power as well. I launch anyway (assume that it is impulse 4 or earlier in the turn). The target can at most accelerate 3 times meaning that the torps will hit on the fourth impulse after launch. For S torps this means 22 each (R are even bigger at 36) and for F torps this is 4 each. Assuming a typical cruiser with 2 S’s and 2 F’s that is 52 points of damage. This will be even higher if the target has to use energy to fire at me thereby lowering his available power.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's right. Thoughts on this tactic are available here http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1939 and also in the latest Captain's Log.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: