Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ultimate Tournament Selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Ultimate Tournament Selection Reply with quote

Our group has been playing tournament rules lately. So far we had the following showdowns:

Game 1 Wedge vs Malleman
Kizinti (1BC and 2 Med Cruisers) vs Federation (1BCJ and 2NCLs) Result: KIzinti victory overwhelming drone wave. Federation ships were not stacked for defense, although I don't know if this would have made a difference in the long run.

Game 2 Wedge vs Malleman
Lyran (1BC and 2CWs) vs Kizinti (1BC and 2 Med Cruisers) Result virtual tie ESG and Drones canceled each other out. Battle ended with one medium cruiser surving from each side.

Game 3 Malleman vs Hod'Kel
Federation (1BCJ and 2NCLs) vs Orion(1BCH and 2BRs) Result Federation victory. Orion BCH was virtually destroyed by a combined photon strike (BCJ and NCL) and left the board. The Orions managed to
heavily damage one of the NCLs, but it retained most of its power, 3 photon launcers, and its 2 FH phasers. To be fair, Hod's game was a little off(he had not played in two weeks).

I am currently under the impression that he Kizinti are one of the best all around tournament empires due to drone tactics. I know on a ship vs ship basis they are a little weak, but a masive drone wave is one quick way to disable an enemy ship, which places the odds in their favor. Also, since the drone control limit for the Med Cruisers is 6, after 2 of the drones are destroyed or impacted (in the second turn) the Med Cruisers are capable of launching two more (which is a nasty suprise for the unexpecting).

Next week we are planning to play Hydran vs _________

I am interested in the results of other Tournament battles people have played.
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried one at the MAWS club a couple of weeks ago, Martin playing Klingons (D7C + 2 D5W) against my Hydrans (Lord Bishop HMS Supremacy, Dragoons HMS Implaccable and Temerity. No fighters). This AAR is only as best as I can recall it, and some of the cut-and-thrust is incomplete.

Martin went to speed 24 on the first turn, I lurked at speed 8, starting EM on impulse 4. On Impulse 8 at range 12 or so, Martin fired disuptors to no great effect, but he didn't launch drones...

On turn 2 I went to 24, he went to 16. Both flotillas were stacked at this point.

Martin launched drones on impulse 1 while we both danced around range 8; I was trying (successfuly) to avoid the D7's FA arc. The drones reached range 2 as the ships got to 8; I dropped EM and fired Phaser-2s at the drones (killing four out of six) and Phaser 1s at the D7 (badly denting shield 6).
Martin chose to split his stack, keeping the D7 out of range 8 and closing with the NCAs. I turned in to attack. Supremacy gatling'd away the two surviving drones, and for what we are about to recieve...

I was able to take the fire from the two groups on different shields, and a timely decel avoided the D5Ws' FH arc.

Net result - Supremacy down shield 1 with 50+ internals, but still in the fight; Implaccable down shield 2 with about 30 internals, but OK; one D5W with 30+ internals and hurting (good old lowest-bidder Klingon construction!); D7 taking four overloaded hellbores at range 4, followed by a pair of gatling rakes through a down shield at range 1, wrecked.

On turn three I plotted 24, and headed away to reload; the D5s had also turned away, the unhurt one came about at 24 to chase us, but the damaged one could only manage 16 and fell behind.

The D7 plotted 8, so she could give us a parting volley with her disruptors and one remaining phaser.

But...Supremacy and Temerity hadn't fired their starbord tubes in the hairball; this is where those odd Hydran firing arcs paid off.

The D7's fire dinged Temerity's shield 3; four overloaded hellbore hits terminated the D7s operational career.

It was getting late, and we agreed that one unsupported Klingon against three Hydrans probably only had one outcome.

It was a blast, it's only frustrating that there aren't more players round here.
wedge_hammersteel
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post re-cap, Dan Ibekwe. malleman and I will make a note or your battle for further analysis.

For this Wednesday, 8-5-09, I am going to use:
Overlord Heavy Battlecruiser
Dragoon Heavy Cruiser
Ranger Heavy Cruiser
no stingers

Let's see what malleman or Hod K'el will fly.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: WED Reply with quote

Plan on two SAL and two DW.
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: