Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the FRAX in FC, what do you think ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: the FRAX in FC, what do you think ? Reply with quote

i have wanted to see the Frax brought out of the simulater and become a "real race" for awhile (which SVC promised would not happen in SFB). now since FC does not have a "set history" like SFB what do people think about including them in FC ? (maybe under a different name ?)
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like that Smile Maybe this could be there history:

In the early days of mankind during the Cold War, a group of Humans was transported off the planet by an unknown spaceship (it was suspected to be one of the first Orion ships, however). They were brought into what would later become Klingon Space, where they fought agsinst their captors and caused a crash-landing on the planet known as Fraxia. The once humans, now FRAX used the technology from the Ship that abucted them to build spaceships, and eventully warships when the Klingons tried to conquer them. Because the only warships they had ever seen up to then were the wet navy designs, they based their space warships on these.

I wrote that on impulse, so it might not work, but what do you guys think?
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok with the Frax remaining a simulator race only. Seriously, there are still a goodly number of races not presented yet. Then, consider the Lesser Magellan Cloud races, the Omega races, the Triwhatever that was races, and the rest of the Milky Way Galaxy. Then there's the extinct races as well. Oh yeah and that gypsy race, the Jindarians. Finally there are the Frax and the other simulator races, which some of us made "house rule" official anyway. Just my two cents on the Frax.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Kahuna, I'm perfectly happy with the Frax remaining "simulator only".

I'd like to see some of the Frax surface ships being done for FC. I remember when the FRAX first came out, in Captain's Log I think, and I though they were pretty cool (this was waaaay before the FRAX subs were even conceived).
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely simulator only for me. There's enough "real" stuff (if I can use that phrase) to get on with IMHO.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the FRAX will ever be anything but simulator. However, I would love to see a set of four "surface" ships (say a CC, CA, DW, and FF) done up in a captain's log.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we only got four, I'd like the FF, DD, CL, CA.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Torqued Reply with quote

Pinehead! How do you know what you want when you have already said you have never played with them? Consider the fact that you have lost over half of their fleet if you get the FF, DW, CA, & CC! No submarines, no Axiom torpedo, no Catfish drones, no cloaks, a major change in tactics!

And your choice in ships as your selection really shows a lack of knowledge. What tactics are you going to employ against stronger ships like CC's? How many ships are you going to run in your squadrons? I tell you now, if you only get four ships, and they are the stronger ships that MJW suggests, your still in deep trouble.

Perhaps you should go and study the FRAX before making comments.

I could play the FRAX with just the War Cruiser Sub, and the universe will burn! Quick to build, can operate in wolf packs, can fire from cloak, very survivable. If the enemy goes for one of three, two have free reign on remaining ships...think freighters...lighting the universe with their warp core breaches. Glorious! Twisted Evil
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume that you two know each other. That was pretty rough calling Pinecone out like that.

Again, I certainly think that they should remain a simulator race. I agree that they are easily the most popular simulator race and peeps have a soft spot for them. I don't understand ADBs marketing concerns and their hot spots that make them money. However, I believe a Briefing #3: Simulator Races might sell well. My first choice would be the hard cards, but I understand that they have to sell enough to make it worth it to them. But I'm one of those psychos that would pay big money to have my Briefing #2 ships on hard cards as well.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally off topic, but:

Mike - I gotta tell you, I love the newly re-designed Avatar.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, kind sir! We (Burt & I) have been working on this for a week. I have to admit that he is the guru that can put it all together. I just worked on the design concept so our battlegroup could blend online with our avatars.
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahuna: No, I don't know him.

Hodke'el: I have never played the Frax, but i have seen their ships. The Frax Tournament Cruiser is available right from this site. I thought those ships would be good because
1. They are the Backbone of most every fleet.
2. is a CC really much different than a CA? The CL is an important element though.
3. How much can you really fit into four ships?

Now perhaps I should have thought a bit more about it before I posted, but I had my reasons for saying what I did. That said i would like to see everything the Frax like to offer, but with only four ships I didn't consider it likely.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
I thought those ships would be good because
1. They are the Backbone of most every fleet.
2. is a CC really much different than a CA? The CL is an important element though.
3. How much can you really fit into four ships?

Now perhaps I should have thought a bit more about it before I posted, but I had my reasons for saying what I did. That said i would like to see everything the Frax like to offer, but with only four ships I didn't consider it likely.

Okay...let us start with item 1: when someone with experience offers ship that are stronger than what you want, TAKE THEM! You are not talking about any other fleet! You are talking about the FRAX fleet. If they are going to offer only four ships, take the biggest bang for the buck!

Item 2: More phasers and control centers, which translates into more fleet control and better survivability. And this is compared to a CA. When you stick the CL in this mixture and give up a CC, it staggers the mind...why??? And remember that the DW is as strong as a CL but can be used more effectively in more applications than a CL. Do not get me wrong...it is not a NCL, which is stronger than a CL; the DW is replacing the CL in application.

Item 3: AH! My point exactly! Why give me four surface ships and eliminate my strengths from a mixed fleet. I do not like restrictions on ideas (pet peave) but to say we might give you a wet navy, but only half of it, and then restrict it so that it is not viable is suicide! And they are not even going to allow the defensive AFD? (BTW, an AFD is a combined PH-3 with an ADD.) This is also why 'with only four ships I didn't consider it likely.' Why? You did not even try...you did not even voice your opinion. But remember, base your opinion on knowledge. Read the rules before asking a question. Read the fluff before offering your concept of fluff. Read, study, it is how you get ahead in life. Become a resident genious!

I have used the FRAX and I like them. I wish they were a race, not a simulator race. But this is also why I would be willing to take the War Cruiser submarine only and fight others to a stand still.
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spelled genius wrong.

It sounds like you're being chicken, not taking the small ships for fear of defeat. And fighting under a cloak isn't really "honorable" either.

And I don't know whether to Laugh or get angry because of you calling me pinehead. It's a really bogus insult.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, I don't really want to start a firefight here, but I am mad. It appears the while I like historical value, you like the value of blowing things up more. That in itself is perectly okay, but did you really have to attack me like that? You could have just explained why you thought differently, and who knows? I may have taken up your point of veiw. Because you attacked, I don't feel inclined to do tht now. besides, is it so wrong to just say what ships I want?

Maybe I should just give up FC and go back to pokemon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: