Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cast Web

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spud
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Cast Web Reply with quote

Would it be possible to Cast Web at two other Tholian Ships as a Normal Web? If so how is it done if they are moving?
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spud,

I'm not certain if I understand your question. Are you asking if a cast web affects other Tholian ships presumably not on your team? If that is what you're asking the answer is yes, it affects other Tholians as if they were any other race.
spud
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Web Caster has two modes of fire.
Normal Web (4Q3b)
Free Standing Web (4Q3c)

All ships are on my team

My question is to the Normal Web (4Q3b). If i have two other tholian ships at speed 16, who are 5 hexes apart from one another and 25 hexes from the Web Caster Ship. Will I be able to create a Normal Web (4Q3b) between the two. Then on the next impulse these two ships decelerate (so as not to move out of the hex) and drop Web Anchor.

I also thought about Emergency Deceleration rather then paying to Decelerate and not dropping a Web Anchor, so that I can use the two ships as Anchors and Reinforce the web in further impulses.

The delay on the Free Standing Web(4Q3c) and the update where they only last 4 impulses kinda hurt.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, Tholian [but not other races'] ships on your team are immune to movement effects of your web.

However, they can fire only phasers through web hexes, not other heavy weapons. And I presume that your shuttles are also immune to the movement effects of the web, thus allowing their use as seeking weapons, unaffected by the web.

However I seem to recall that there is a rule by which you can elect to 'switch off' your ships' immunity to the movement effects of the web - what in Star Fleet Battles is called the 'web-pass-through' ability - and thus use it for stopping your ship. The only thing is that I don't have my rulebook with me so I can't give you the exact reference.

No doubt someone else could, though Smile
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe your question is 'Can cast web be cast between friendly tholian ships and have those ships act as achors for the web, thereby creating normal web using the webcaster?' I believe the answer to this question is yes. Per 4Q3b 'To cast Normal Web, the web must have two valid anchors (5M2e), one at each end. 5M2E defines anchors, and under point 3 states that Valid anchor points include asteroids (6B) of any type, wnchor buoys (5M2j), or Tholian ships.

This would seem to say that yes you could cast web 25 hexs and have it solidify instantly (as part of web caster fire step of direct fire phase) between two friendly tholian ships. This web then becomes normal web as if it had been laid between these two ships. It can be extended and reinforced as normal web. Note that you must follow all rules for normal web at this point, I.E. pay for new web hexes and a speed of only 1 hex per impulse. If the ships moved more than 1 hex the web would collapse instantly.
spud
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pmiller13, this is what I was thinking. I can't find a real way to create a web from scratch without taking all day to do it. This seemed the fastest way to get a real web out there. Granted I need at least one WC ship.

thanks again.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can cast web as a normal web as long as both ends have valid anchors. Two Tholian ships (one at each end) count as valid anchors. Since they are moving so fast, you could end up using them as an anchor, then having one (or both) of them involuntarily forfeit their anchor status when they move out of the web. However, your plan of having them decelerate, then drop a web anchor is completely valid and will work. (Though it is pretty energy intensive, as you will decelerate twice in the impulse, and convert a shuttle into a web anchor.)

And, yes, laying normal web is a time consuming business.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: