Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will I be able to solo play with FCOL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spud
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Will I be able to solo play with FCOL? Reply with quote

just wondering if I would be able to do this. Is so, how is it done?
Andromedan
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can play solo. But there is currently no AI or robot player implemented. I would love to add the robot player that ADB has created for Fed Com.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I had thought about doing as a seperate game, and even made a very tentative start just the other week. A single player game where the opponent is a robot player. Ideally it would include a robot AI editor so players can write and evolve their own Robots for different ships/races and share them, possibly even play robot vs robot in robot tourneys. Over time people would be able to import robots that are likely pretty decent.

Still very much at the pie in the sky phase though, and probably not likely to get finished by me.
Andromedan
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,
Don't go there. I would love to work on Robot Starships fighting each other. There was a game called Omega where you programmed tanks to fight each other and I would love to do that. Everytime I start thinking about some of the details and it gets kinda hard.

Each starship would need to be able to:

1) Scan to see what is on the board.
2) Launch seeking weapons.
3) Fire Direct Fire Weapons.
4) Move.

Easy enough. But then you get into the "programming language" to use and no matter what there needs to be some kind of API that is called to return the information and do actions. Many are available and of course I can create my own.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I can see the issues, I've been pondering it for quite a long time (almost as soon as i saw the robot rules for FedCom). The only reason I didn't start on it earlier was that I was going to go 3D graphics, but whilst I can probably cope with programming 3D graphics, I am not a graphic artist by any stretch of the imagination, in fact I wouldn't know where to start in creating 3D art. About a month ago I decided that I really wanted to get on with doing the game, but that I would have just go with basic 2D counters etc. I can draw counters Very Happy

I was seeing it more as a single player game, rather than a robot vs robot game. You wouldn't need to be able to script a robot just to play. But the playing 2 robots against each other shouldn't be much more diffcult (if you've got as far as the single player game), and offers a way of ranking the robot AIs, so if user created robots were available for importing you could see which ones looked like they might be good against certain opponents. There may be numerous Robots for a D7, one good against Feds another good vs Hydrans, they may even get down to being optimised against certain ships, 1 robot D7 better vs a CA another better vs an NCA.

The only issue as ever is how much time I have to put into it. I don't think it would take to long to get a very basic version out (no robot editor, no fancy SSD graphics etc) if I was able to do it full time (which I'm not).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: