Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation Command - Klingon Border
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the white box can be usedto identify the map panel. I currently have mine labeled "A", "B", "C", ...through "T2", "U2", 'V2". (Yes, I have 48 of the blank, space map panels... Rolling Eyes ), and the terrain panels are all labeled "A" through "D" on each type of terrain... (yes, 4 of each terrain panel, too Embarassed ) But in my defense, I can play a really big game with-out having to leap-frog the map panels... or set-up the Iridema Convoy scenario and use actual maps... Cool

This faciltates recording locationsif we have to put away a particularly interesting game mid session and want to pick-it up again later.

For example, simply note:
Federation CA in hex 31, panel A - facing D
Fed Drone Counters 1, 2, and 3 in hex 22, panel A, facing D

Klingon D5 in hex 17, panel C - Facing E
etc, etc, etc...
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the white panel to put my initials in, to identify my panels from the other guys'.
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I use the white panel to put my initials in, to identify my panels from the other guys'.

Wait a minute... you mean other people can have map panels, too?!? Laughing

Mine also have my initials in them...
I also initial the back sides of my counters before they are cut out, my ship cards are initialed with an ultra-fine sharpie, my MITS are initialed, my command cards are initialed...
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I'm the only chump that buys anything. Everyone else in my game crew just waits for me to buy the next and best. Am I being used? Dunno, but it's a small price so I can play. So, I've no problem identifying my stuff. If it isn't photocopied, it's mine.
JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is true, FC really has no need for the numbers except in middle of game when you have to put it away and fight later.
I have decided to color the small white hexes on each board black to match the background alittle better ( it was just to much of an eye sore ).

Joe

Last edited by JoMc67 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahuna -

One of the groups I play in is the same way. They bought their own minis, but I supply all the game components.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed a mistake or typo in FC-Klingon Border on page 34 under Federation Commander Product list ( you may already now this ).
When reading under the Romulan Border it mentions, 'This is the one in you have in your hands now'. In fact I have the Klingon Border in my hands.

Just some suggestions for what its worth on packaging FC-KB ( and maybe FC-RB since its the same setup ), its no big deal but still worth mentioning:

1. Due away with the paper clips as it just cheapens the look of the game. Replace the paper clips with small round red transparent chips or similar item.

2. Do away with the Blue marker and replace it with Black ( maybe Black w/ a small erase head ).

Joe
JoMc67
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the way the SSDs are color coded for each different system.
However, I dont like the different colors for each of the different speeds-turn mods on far left of the SSDs ( just to many colors showing on the SSD altogether, and making it hard on the eye ).
I am going to copy the SSDs in grey scale and just cut out the speed-turn mode area and paste back on the original SSDs ( this should overall tone done the SSDs abit ).

Joe
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like all the color on the SSDs. After years of playing SFB, it gives it a newer, better feel. I do find myself constantly looking at the SSD for the weapons. One more throwback to years of SFB.

There are so many ways to mark your energy allocation. You don't really have to use the paperclips. I used counters for a while, but found paperclips really the best as I don't worry about accidentally knocking my counter off the right number. It also lets me stack my SSDs when I'm commanding a fleet. The paperclips give just enough lift between each SSD so I don't rub off the dry erase markings. I think they're such an improvement over SFB that I haven't really taken time to complain about them yet.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItT took about three games for us to replace the paper clip with "Cool Clips". These are square, plastic clips from our local office supply store. They come in packs of 20 and in about 5 different, translucent colors.
You place teh clip on the edge of the card and the number you mark shows through the plastic clip... no muss, no fuss...
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scout,

I like the way those sound. Never heard of them, not sure what I'm looking for, but I like the way they sound like they might work. Are they called "Cool Clips" or do they have another product name I can ask for? I don't want to be the idiot every stares blankly at when I ask, "Excuse me, where can I find the cool clips?". Very Happy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used paper clips for quite a while, but quit when they started to wear out my ship cards. I switched to the little "Post-It" arrows.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scout,
Those 'Cool Clips' sound like a good alternative to paperclips, and I will look for them at the local Office Supply Store.

Joe
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased mine, they were called "Cool Clips", but I have also seen them listed as"hot" clips, crazy clips, and several other things.

Best bet, print out this picture and take it to the local office supply mega-warehouse with you. A friendly sales-type person should be able to direct you to the correct aisle.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I used paper clips for quite a while, but quit when they started to wear out my ship cards. I switched to the little "Post-It" arrows.

We used the post-it brand arrows during the early playtesting. They also work really well, but we do so prefer the "cool clips"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: