Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Factory Seconds bags from ADB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Factory Seconds bags from ADB Reply with quote

I recently purchasted 2 bags of "seconds" from TFG. I have a few comments.

1. I asked that the Condor DN in the romulan bag be swapped (already have 2 painted) and I got an extra Hawk. So the bag had 3 of the 4 engine Hawks, 1 of the 3 engine, and one Sparrowhawk. there are 3 small, 1 med. and 1 large eagle. All very very good molds.

2. Gorn: DN, BCH, 3 CA, 3 CL, DD, BDD. Exellent mix! And while the flash is a bit heavy in spots I've had much "dirtier" minatures (Warhammer 40k)

3. Shipping: Listed shipping was $6. Actual was $5.70. I was only charged the $5.70. Being a regular internet/Ebay buyer I found most people round up on the shipping or add a bit. Not TFG. (And I wouldn't have cared if they did keep the .30)

4. Bases: The ships don't come with bases. I'm a idiot for forgetting this and not ordering any. It is clearly mentioned in the product description. But considering the HUGE backlog of Miniatures I now have (about 50+) I can wait on getting the bases.

Overall: If you're looking to fill out a fleet, the seconds are the best thing next to picking them up at a flea market/garage sale. Exellent game and exellent miniatures.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB! Very Happy

Thanks for that information... I may pick some up before they're all gone!

I have 13 of TFG's, er, I mean ADB's minis so far, and they're all good. The only criticism I have is that the warbird/war eagle's wings are very thin and prone to bending if not handled carefully.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notice one of the warbirds wings are thin and need some adustment, but at a cost of less than $1.25 per figure....can't complain. I do miss the lead based miniatures, they were much easier to work on than the pewter they use now. I don't have any <twitch> problems <twitch> after handling the lead figures for years.....
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: factory seconds Reply with quote

How do i get them i live in the uk i have apay pal but i do not know how it works.also i would be willing to use any other means and also does that include postage from the us to the uk for i would like to fill out my fleets.
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this isn't another case for me where the answer's real obvious, but I couldn't find reference to these "seconds" on either site. Could someone point me in the right direction?
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the page with the "seconds"

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?

From there click on Starline 2400 Miniatures > General Miniatures then go to the 2nd page. They're at the end of the list.

You'll need to order stands as well since they're not included. I'd go with the metal stands over the plastic.
wrongway klingon
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfury wrote:
I did notice one of the warbirds wings are thin and need some adustment, but at a cost of less than $1.25 per figure....can't complain. I do miss the lead based miniatures, they were much easier to work on than the pewter they use now. I don't have any <twitch> problems <twitch> after handling the lead figures for years.....

I found some old lead ships that have been hiding at the back of the bits box for 12 years, the pin drill went through them like a hot knife through butter.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You beat me to it, Starfury. I'm getting ready to place an order which will include some "factory seconds" - so I was going to post the link for everyone else as well...

Wink but only after I had placed my order.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of quick comments.

Yes, this is a good way to build a fleet, big and cheap. the minis are often missing a bit here or there, or have too much flash, but with some green stuff and enough paint, they work.

I know some players who buy the factory seconds and keep them in a separate box for their opponennts to borrow. If Fred drops a sparrowhawk, it's no big deal. I know others who use them for painting experiments, or to cut up for spare parts, or battle damage. And I know people who want to get into minis without spending a couple of hundred bucks and just use them as is.

We don't have a system for you to say "swap the condor for a hawk". Or anything else. It's just "give me a romulan bag" and "here ya go" and whatever you get, you get.

There is no promise that any given bag will have any certain ship. We don't buy and sell that many DNs and they tend to cast better than smaller ships. When I make up bags, if I have DNs, I put one in each bag. But if I don't have DNs, I don't have DNs.

I personally pack each bag since nobody else seems to be able to grasp the concept of a "nice mix".

Generally speaking, if I have four different ships for a given race, I pack "racial bags". If I don't, they just go into the "general mixed bags" which have any race. Note that due to Fiasco #147 we have a half a bucket of Fed police ships and they tend to show up in mixed bags and fed bags and convoy bags. Due to Fiasco #179 we have a bucket of Fed NCLs and they tend to show up in fed bags, fed NCL bags, and mixed bags.

I do this more as a favor to the casting house than anything. We used to just throw all the rejects into a bucket (literally, a two-gallon bucket) and when we went to Origins (the summer convention, which is near the casting house) we'd give them the bucket. One year, my "booth buddy" was a miniatures nut who saw the bucket under the table and said "what's that?". Heard the story and when the casting guy (I'm not naming him for his privacy) came by we all chatted and came to a deal for $1 per ship, with the money split between the casting guy and myself. This tradition continued and last year I showed up at Origins with like 70 pounds of bad minis. There was an empty spot next to my booth where the convention officials had put a table for anybody to use, and we simply overflowed our booth onto the table and sold over $1000 in miniatures from the junk bins, allowing people to buy whatever ship they wanted for $1 each. People were building entire fleets of this or that empire. We sold so many that the casting house begged us NOT to give the left overs back, but to take them home and sell them on the shopping cart. After several experiments (most of them went really bad, the idea of "wish lists" became impossible when people started saying "I want a C8, but not if it has bad engines" since my vision can no longer tell. Leanna threw a fit when I spent six hours in the warehouse processing $35 worth of orders, and ordered us to find a better way. I came up with "ten ships for ten bucks" and that's pretty much how we do it by mail order. I expect to take several boxes of these to Origins next year for "pick a ship, $1 each" sales.

Ah, one final note. Some ships like Kzintis have separate engines, and we always go get engines out of the bin and include them, so while your ship may have a crack here, a divot there, an incompletely cast engine (klingons have a lot of that, but if you don't compare two of them under a magnifying glass I can't tell), and some extra flash just about everywhere, it won't be missing any pieces.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thus is born a great idea.

Now I have to email Aaron and thank him for his serendipitous intervention in the long established tradition of remelting the factory seconds.

Very Happy
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the factory seconds thing going to be an annual sale? I picked up some Gorn but was too late for everything else! But the sale is a good way to start a fleet. The bags I got didn't have everything so I picked up some more ships to fill out the gorn fleet, DN and some BDDs and such. Of course I got so many miniatures to paint I really shouldn't be buy anything else.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sell them when we have them. I anticipate taking junk minis to origins for $1 a ship sales, but probably won't have the quantity or variety I had last year. Note that while the only racial bags we have are Gorn (and Fed NCL) we do have just oodles of mixed bags, which are still a stupendous way to build up a fleet.

What I do with mixed bags is to divide the stuff in the warehouse junk bins into ten piles. Usually, each pile is a given race (Romulan, Orion) and rarely a specific ship (Fed NCL, Kzinti CM, Gorn HDD, Klingon D7), but the last couple of piles are "anything goes" (mix of hydrans, lyrans, and whatever else). Then a bag consists of one from each pile (plus maybe a police ship as a booby prize).

Now, I will offer you one deal. You can Pick Your Race and I'll give you a $10 bag of eight ships from that race (which won't all be the same ship, but may be just two or three types). You'll be taking a 20% hit but at least you'll get nearly a full fleet of one race. If you want to do this, use special instructions to say: LEANNA; SVC OFFERED TO GIVE ME EIGHT KLINGONS FOR THIS BAG" (or whatever race) and she will have me go pull them. If for some reason I can't (I don't think there are eight ISC ships total out there) then we'll let you know. THIS IS A LIMITED TIME OFFER GOOD ONLY UNTIL 10 MAY. That way, i can bail out of this mess if it turns out to be too much disruption of my work.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:

Now, I will offer you one deal. You can Pick Your Race and I'll give you a $10 bag of eight ships from that race (which won't all be the same ship, but may be just two or three types). You'll be taking a 20% hit but at least you'll get nearly a full fleet of one race. If you want to do this, use special instructions to say: LEANNA; SVC OFFERED TO GIVE ME EIGHT KLINGONS FOR THIS BAG" (or whatever race) and she will have me go pull them. If for some reason I can't (I don't think there are eight ISC ships total out there) then we'll let you know. THIS IS A LIMITED TIME OFFER GOOD ONLY UNTIL 10 MAY. That way, i can bail out of this mess if it turns out to be too much disruption of my work.

Can I get more than one bag/race? (I'm thinking I might get three dif races, plus one standard mixed bag?) 20% hit is nothing, 8 ships for ten bucks is still an incredible deal. I'd have to get some full priced/better cast minis sometime later to not feel so guilty about it Smile

Well . . . I'll just try and find out! Smile

EDIT - I placed an order, if there's anything wrong let me know. Also, if you have to put a bunch of NCLs, D7s or CMs in there I don't mind. Can never have enough D7s and CMs anyway I think Smile. Kzinti CMs a good ship.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask for any race and I'll see what I can find.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not wanting to jinx myself and not have a good selection of $1 minis to choose from at Origins '07 (since a certain MSgt isn't going to be there this year... Rolling Eyes ). I have to second (or third) everyones praises for these bags.

I ordered 6 or 7 of them a couple months ago. Even though I still haven't completed painting them, the selection was awesome and most of the ones I got only needed some minor flash removal to be good as 1st run miniatures. Out of 6 bags, only 1 Federation Police Cutter and and 1 Large Ore Carrier needed any filling of blisters/bubbles.

So, if you want to build parts of your fleet quickly, order factory seconds bags...

If you want Tony to spend even more money at Origins, don't order factory seconds bags and I'll tkae care of them at Origins.

And for even more fun, email Tony's wife and tell her he's begging everyone not to buy these items, so he can spend even more $$$ at Origins! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: