Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emergency Evacuation question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Emergency Evacuation question Reply with quote

The cost for an Emergency Evacuation (5E7) is given as one point of power.

Is this always the case, irrespective of the actual transporter cost of the ship? For example, a Kzinti Frigate evacuating another Kzinti Frigate, both movement cost [and therefore transporter cost] of 1/4, would cost only half a point total even if both ships operated their transporters - although I know that only one ship pays.

Is it because the transporters will be 'over-used', in order to get all the people off the stricken ship?
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kang,

I tried to think through when or why one would need to know the why on this. Maybe my memory on this rule is fuzzy, but I thought it was the stricken ship paying it and if so, why would you care if it was 1 point or all remaining power? Either way, the ship is done.

I'm guessing the biggest reason was just to keep it simple and help the game move along.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Power can be from either ship but I was wondering if smaller ships get a discount, because operating transporters on any ship costs the equivalent of one movement point of power. Hope that clarifies things.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 1 point of power because (5E2) says that one point of power powers all of the transporters on a ship for 1 full turn.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmiller13 wrote:
It is 1 point of power because (5E2) says that one point of power powers all of the transporters on a ship for 1 full turn.

Not in the latest rules. It's "energy....equal to the energy required for one point of movement".

But that's the case for normal transporter operations; I'm asking about emergency evacuation which does indeed say one point of power. I was just wondering if that one point had been overlooked in the light of the modified energy cost for smaller ships.
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
pmiller13 wrote:

Not in the latest rules. It's "energy....equal to the energy required for one point of movement".

Not in any rules. (5E2) has always said the energy for one point of movement.

On emergency evacuation, it is one point of power. I don't remember the original line of reasoning, but it is one point of power. Big ship, small ship, fleet scale, squadron scale. It is one point of power. I think it was done just to keep things simple, but that is the way it is.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto! I thought KISS might be in the reasoning somewhere! Smile
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep read that way to fast. Now that I reread it I see that I was wrong it does say 1 point of movement. I guess since I was looking for a answer that said 1 point of power I just saw what I assumed it would say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: