Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decal supplier
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Decal supplier Reply with quote

I found a link (probably on here) to http://www.pomroyproductions.com/index.php and they sell FC/SFB decals. Has anyone here ordered any from them? I've been on a miniature painting break but with winter coming I'll probably start up again and would like to bypass the 40k decals and use some that are more standard on my Gorn/Klingons/Fed ships.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Pomroy's stuff got discussed a bit HERE, but no one on the boards had ordered from him yet.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have.

I've never stepped into decals before, but Jeremy's stuff convinced me to try it. I ordered a bunch of Fed decals from Bob, which I've received and they look GREAT.

I'll eventually be posting pics as I apply them to minis in progress, but on the page, they look nice.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they ALPS printed or laser printed?
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've noticed in the pictures on his website is that the font for the ship names looks a little big, to me anyway. Other than that, they look very nice indeed.
Hod K'el
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. A little big, but very nice! I really like the Kzinti decals! Now, we are going to have to talk about Orion decals...
Life is not victory;
Death is not defeat!
hobbybob
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Pomroy Productions decals Reply with quote

Hi!
The next two items on my list are Seltorians, and battle damage. After that, I'm open to suggestions. I'm more or less ready to put together a strip of Hydran markings, but I don't have enough Hydran ships to test them properly. They may have to wait.

I've actually been thinking of the Orions; they offer some interesting challenges and opportunities. I'm not sure whether or not my impressions strictly fit canon, but the way I see it, the Orions are tied more to their syndicates than to any sense of national unity, and their markings would reflect this. I don't really care for a "jolly rodger" style marking, as this is more human than Orion. I'm quite taken with the scatter camouflage that one poster has shown, but that seems more like a single-ship "captain's discretion" paint job.

As to the size, I compromised a little between realism, ease of application, and the ability to read them from across the game table. One of the reasons I started this was to make decals for myself, because I was having trouble reading my hand-painted markings from five feet away. I have had to revert to much smaller markings for the NCF.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the proportion thing to, but some folks like things bigger and bolder. I go for a "as-seen-on-TV" look so I only do my decals with the text sized to match that look (and only bought stuff that followed that look). To each their own though.

I am still wondering if the decals are color laser-printed or if they are ALPS dry-printed.

Laser printed decals are plenty fine for Feds, Romulans, WYN and other empires with really light colored hulls (especially white) but they don't work well at all on dark colored hulls (Klingon, Kzinti, etc.).

For decals on dark colors, they need to be printed over a layer of white first, which ALPS can do, but laser printing cannot. Without that layer of white, the hull color shows through the decal and darkens its colors to the point of them disappearing into the paint scheme. They don't "pop" the way things like Klingon trifoils, etc. should. It's tough though, because ALPS printers are spendy and getting rare.

Last edited by djdood on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
hobbybob
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Decals... continued Reply with quote

I forgot to mention... I'm always looking for suggestions for new products!

To answer the questions raised, currently, my decals are laser-printed. With the supply of ALPs inks drying up (no pun intended), I didn't consider the risk of purchasing an expensive printer worthwhile. That being said, I am perfectly willing to outsource that type of decal, once my business is more firmly established.

Eventually, I also plan to produce model railroad decals and paper accessories (such as packing crates, posters, signs, etc., and paper terrain for microarmor wargames, for which an ALPs printer isn't necessary.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Starfighterace decals before and noticed that the Gorn decals were semi-transparent on the orange and they didn't look that great on a darker hull. I'm looking for a decal that will go onto a dark or light hull and look good.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob -

PM sent re:ALPS.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfury wrote:
I used the Starfighterace decals before and noticed that the Gorn decals were semi-transparent on the orange and they didn't look that great on a darker hull. I'm looking for a decal that will go onto a dark or light hull and look good.

But, the Gorn decals have an advantage. You can laser print them on a white decal sheet. They have regular edges (the Gorn Imperial Logo is a triangle) and can be cut out of the white sheet with a striaght-edge and an exacto knife... same with Hydran fleet bands and Imperial logos.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true that you can print the Gorn onto a white sheet. The ones I have were not done that way.
hobbybob
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Gorn and other decals Reply with quote

I have printed both Gorn and ISC on white. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.
SWO_Daddy
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recieved an order of decals from Bob. They look good. I agree the font is a little large on some, but given the difficulty in obtaining decals, I'm thankful he is doing this.

No Fed minis in the works at the moment, but I hope to fire some up in the near future, using Bob's decals. When complete, I'll post pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: