Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Klingon Armada is here!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: The Klingon Armada is here! Reply with quote

As a new look at the SFU, here is the first release of the SFU-Starmada effort: Klingon Starmada! Also, its ship selections are built to use the miniature sets already available for Federation Commander.

In addition, the base Starmada is also available. This is the first time the game has been released as a print version available at stores.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Rich Stokes
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I wonder if a bundle with Megahex might be appropriate (with some very minor discount)? Or even just the appropriate counter sheet as a "spare". At the very least, the board sections and counters ought to appear in that part of the shop maybe?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. Note sent to Leanna for h er to do that.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any introductory advice on how the various ships and fleets in KA fly, either relative to each other, or to ships from other Starmada modules?
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an experienced SFU gamer, but I tried to keep as much of the flavor as I could. Thus, I would suspect (hope) that the races in KA will operate in a similar fashion to SFB/FC. A couple things did jump out at me as I was doing the conversions:

1) In comparison to "homegrown" designs of a similar size, SFU ships have weaker shielding. As this is true for all races, it will have little impact on KA games -- but it's something to be aware of when pitting SFU ships against the typical Starmada player's own fleet.

2) Federation ships are worth slightly less than would be expected in comparison to Klingon and Kzinti ships. This, I suspect, is due in no small part to the latter races' fondness for drones, treated as a subclass of fighters in Starmada. Also, disruptors outrange photons, so Feds will likely want to close the range as quickly as possible.

3) Photon torpedoes are "all or nothing" weapons, while disruptors are more likely to cause some damage and phasers are almost guaranteed to score some hits if you get close. So the Starmada imperative to concentrate your firepower is heightened even further for Feds at longer ranges.

4) Keep in mind that Starmada is a fleet-level game, which means the decisions are going to be different than those in SFB/FC. Further, ships go "boom" MUCH easier in Starmada than in SFB or even FC -- so be prepared for casualties...

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thanks.

What about the Tholians and Orions?

Do the former have any web rules, or just the snare? (I'm guessing web casters will have to wait for a future Neo-Tholian supplement.)

Also, do the Orions have rules for things like cloaks and plasma torpedoes, or will those have to wait for Romulan Armada?

Speaking of the Federation, I wonder how different the 'war' classes that would be more prominent in RA would compare to the kind of ships seen in KA...

(In Fed Commander, the opposing empires were able to pack more of their 'war' classes into their respective modules - whereas the Feds are more widely spread across the first 4 products, and had to wait for the ships they were building to take on the likes of Klingon D5s and Romulan SparrowHawks.)
tgalonso
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Missing Ships Reply with quote

Are you guys going to post PDFs for the missing ships (Planet Killer and Juggernaut) here, How about the Space Amoeba?

Ted
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Missing Ships Reply with quote

tgalonso wrote:
Are you guys going to post PDFs for the missing ships (Planet Killer and Juggernaut) here, How about the Space Amoeba?

I should get "ship" cards done for the Planet Killer and Juggernaut, as well as the Prime Trader, within a day or two.

tgalonso
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: still waiting Reply with quote

So it has been more than a day or so...

Ted
Rich Stokes
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDF ship cards are available from e23 for $6. That's something like 15 cents/10p each. Which I think is a good price: any less and what's the point in charging and any more and I'd maybe resent having to pay for them twice.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Dan sent me the "missing" PDFs yesterday but Eric has been backlogged with tons of stuff to upload. He doesn't work wednesdays, so he'll probably get to them thursday or friday or saturday. Of course, we're releasing FCHA and three boosters and I suspect that Eric will spend a lot of time Thursday and Friday packing boosters, but I'll see if I can tag those for priority upload.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Stokes wrote:
The PDF ship cards are available from e23 for $6. That's something like 15 cents/10p each. Which I think is a good price: any less and what's the point in charging and any more and I'd maybe resent having to pay for them twice.

I got Klingon Armada yesterday and was thinking... man, if only I could get the data cards separately...

Guess I can!
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can. Leanna even re-uploaded it to correct the typo on the cover page.
tgalonso
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where will the missing ship cards be up loaded?

Ted
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Starmada page, which isn't finished.

If you cannot wait, email me and ask nicely, I'll email you the PDFs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: