Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Up coming Products

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atrox7
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Up coming Products Reply with quote

I'm very excited about Hydran attack getting released soon. And I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I'd like a bit more info on the other items.
Have the specific ships for Booster Packs #25, #26, #27 been listed anywhere?

Also, having never played a "campaign" game, what exactly is Federation Admiral? It’s described as a campaign system for FC but I don't know what that means? Just longer scenarios? Or something more robust?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A campaign system is basically a series of connected scenarios, although Federation Admiral is a bit more involved than that.

Boiled down to it's simpliest terms:
    1. Each Commander receives X number of points with which to purchase his starting forces / planetary defenses.
    2. Each turn, all sides generate economic points with which additional units can be purchased / upgraded. These are generated in various methods which are spelled out in the campaign specific rules, and can usually be modified by Pirate Raids or enemy attacks.
    3. You explore new territory, expand your base of operations, encounter other Commanders, establish treaties / fight battles, etc.
    4. Begin the next turn...

the big thing to remember is that in a campaign, actions have consequences. If you throw your forces into an un-winnable battle and allow ships to be destroyed - they will not be available next turn... or any turn after that.
The best part of a campaign is the strategic thinking required to determine how to allocate your forces to accomplish all the goals you have set for yourself w/o spreading yourself too thin.
Atrox7
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds very cool. So is this a stand alone product, or do you fight out individual battles using normal FC, then go over to Fed Admiral and track progress, and switch back and forth?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrox7 wrote:
That sounds very cool. So is this a stand alone product, or do you fight out individual battles using normal FC, then go over to Fed Admiral and track progress, and switch back and forth?

The simple answer is, Both - Neither - and Either.

The system is designed to allow he individual battles to be fought out in Federation Commander (hence the subtitle, a Campaign System for Federation Commander), but it also has an abstracted combat resolution system that can be used to resolve any or all battles - although using it for everything kinda defeatsthe purpose of having a Fed Comm campaign system.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice that it has its own built-in battle-resolution system though, so you don't have to play out the "boring" or completely one-sided and inevitable battles (unless you want to). Having it both ways lets you and your opponent(s) pick and choose which battle you want to play out in FedCom.

Battles having consequences (as in an on-going campaign) puts a completely different spin and feel to them. Like scoutdad said, throwing your forces into battle to die in a blaze of glory for an evening's fun isn't quite as fun when you're then at a disadvantage in the next battle, and the next one after that, etc.

Protecting your key (usually the bigger) ships becomes much more important. It's a bit like chess; pawns (easier to replace frigates and destroyers) are there to be sacrificed to protect more important pieces that really decide battles (battlecruisers, dreadnoughts).

I've found it adds a whole new layer of "roleplaying" to the games. Names on ships tend to persist, especially if the ship is a consistent performer. Losing that ship later can be very troubling. Getting upset over losing an imaginary ship (which is really just a ship card and miniature) is the mark of some compelling gaming.

I know that when the crippled Fed BC Montana went down, heroically acting as a rear-guard to allow its consorts to disengage, I really felt it (and not just because of what she had cost me to procure).
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOSTER 25: Lyran NCA, NCC, CL, DW, DW, FF, BC; Klingon F5W
BOOSTER 26: Hydran Iroquois, Tartar, DWH, DWH, DWF, DWF, LM, Fast Iroquois
BOOSTER 27: Hydran Ranger, Lancer, Lancer, Hunter, Hunter; WYN Aux CA; WYN PBB; Klingon DWL
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
(and not just because of what she had cost me to procure).

You can see his grief....he's even referring to the Montana as a 'she'. Which is of course as it should be Wink

It is interesting how we get attached to our ships - even in single, standalone scenarios, it gets like that for me Smile
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana had survived about 6 battles over the course of four weeks, often battered but never destroyed and winning more often than not. After the second battle, I just left the name on the ship card. It was kind of a bummer to finally wipe it off after that last fight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: