Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will McCammon's Minis (Formerly: My wallet hates me, but...)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Will McCammon's Minis (Formerly: My wallet hates me, but...) Reply with quote

I went ape-kaka crazy at a new (to me) store that stocks a lot of minis and bought up a bunch.

Fed - 2 CA's, NCA, CVS, CS, DW, NCL+FF
Klingon - F6+E4, F5 3-pack

Adding this to the queue of others I need to paint -
2 BB's, CVA, DNH, DNL, BC, CA, 2 GSC, 2 CF, NCA, NCL, DWH, 2 FFB, FF
plus all of my old Starline 2200 minis that need a strip and repaint (got around 20 of those).

I'm probably going to kitbash one of the CF's into a DDF.

I'm going to need a lot of primer and I'm going to be busy for a long time...

Last edited by djdood on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate.

1: Border box (24 minis)
2. Gorn seconds bag (10 minis)
3. Romulan seconds bag (10 minis)
4. Random Fed ships (10 minis)
5. Gorn Fleet box (5 ships)
6. Misc. Starline minis: Andro, Rom, Kzin (8 minis)

Plus: 60 Kryomek monsters.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it??

B-5 minis >400+

SFB minis 150+

Fasa Minis: 200+

Silent Death minis: 300+

Others: I dare not count

sigh...they will get painted eventually...maybe..or not.

28-29 years of mini collecting catches up with you..these totals don't include the 2,000+ micro-armor minis I painted up and ended up selling when I was poor cash-strapped with student loans due (kicking self now), nor the hundreds of naval minis I had..Oh well..good memories, good friends, good times, good gaming

Keeps me out of trouble..well, not really, but it's what I tell myself Smile
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amatuers...

SFB minis: Over 300 painted
SFB minis: 600+ still to paint

~1000 40K minis painted (and then sold when GW kept updating rules)

200+ 'Mechs still to paint

200+ D&D minis

no telling how many misc miniatures of various types they I've collected over the years...

My wife has treatened to call the EPA and report my wrkroom as a HazMat Superfund site if I don;t stop buying miniatures Shocked

Now, if only I could win the lotto - I could stop working and have time to paint them...
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have about 150+ SFB mini's painted but sold of a lot of them many years back. Got shelves with 40k marines, they're fun to paint but I don't play. Also have some of the Grenadier dragons , some Kryomek monsters and walkers, Battletech mechs and tanks. I've never been volume oriented in my painting due to lack of either $$ or time. I took about a 5 yr break in painting due to having kids, but have gotten back into it over the last 6 months.

I probably wont' be doing any new 40k miniatures unless I get used ones; the prices are way too high. I'm thinking about hitting Ebay for some of the old Grenadier Dragon figures too.

One thing that surprised me: about 1/2 of my paint that was ignored and in the garage survived intact. Some needed help and about 1/3 went bye-bye.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to all of this but not to the same extent. All told, I probably have like 200-300 miniatures than need to be painted or stripped/repainted. I have more miniatures that could be painted, but don't really need to be because I don't play those games anymore and don't care too much Smile. Need a reason to paint the figs before you paint 'em, at least for me anyway.

SFB alone, I got 2 Gorn seconds bags (20 figs + 3 I bought later), plus I bought 4 or so sort-of seconds bags (32 figs). So for FC alone, like 55 figs to paint. Not that they're all at my house yet anyway.

What I really need is some storage boxes to carry 'em around though. Cardboard boxes full of figs wrapped in kleenex with bits of blister foam stuff here and there don't cut it.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul B wrote:

What I really need is some storage boxes to carry 'em around though. Cardboard boxes full of figs wrapped in kleenex with bits of blister foam stuff here and there don't cut it.

I remember that Chessex makes storage boxes; not cheap but sturdy. Some people use fishing tackle boxes or toolboxes with custom cut foam. You may be able to find a local place that sells foam or buy a cheap piece of eggcrate foam.

If you've got the newer ships, a lot are 1 piece models and won't break. I've got the older Klingon/Gorn ships where the engines fall off pretty easy.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfury wrote:
Paul B wrote:

I remember that Chessex makes storage boxes; not cheap but sturdy. Some people use fishing tackle boxes or toolboxes with custom cut foam. You may be able to find a local place that sells foam or buy a cheap piece of eggcrate foam.

If you've got the newer ships, a lot are 1 piece models and won't break. I've got the older Klingon/Gorn ships where the engines fall off pretty easy.

Well yeah, for FC my Gorn ships are pretty sturdy, all one piece. But for my older B5Wars miniatures I probably need to pick up some of those Cheesex boxes. Think they're like 40-50 bucks each or something (CDN). There's a local store that sells 'em in Richmond apparently (somewhat local). Though most of the B5 figs are sturdy, it's also easier to pull ships out of the foam then to unwrap them each individually. Which is a real pain.

I've heard the whole tackle box, gun case, type format. But I'll probably just go Chessex route. To lazy to find anything else. As long as I don't have some big space marine emblem on the side the box should be fine.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Paul B"]
Starfury wrote:
Paul B wrote:

I've heard the whole tackle box, gun case, type format. But I'll probably just go Chessex route. To lazy to find anything else. As long as I don't have some big space marine emblem on the side the box should be fine.

Before you give up on the tackle box thing, check out what I use:

http://www.geocities.com/scoutdad13/Klingons/klingonsreadytotravel.jpg

I have about 2 dozen of these boxes so far, they run $4.99 at the local craft store and the foam is $1.99 for a 14x14-inch piece.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some smaller bead boxes, but I've never found those deeper ones anywhere. The ones I have don't really accomodate the larger minis which make up most of my starships.
defurusu
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever niche is below "amateur" status, I think that's where I am.

I own a score or thereabouts of old starline 2200 minis. The quality of the game (SFB, and now FC I guess) meant we always tended to think "Why bother with miniatures?", in particular before we saw Megahex.

We flirted with B5W locally and committed to playing with miniatures, I guess I have 100-200 minis spread over both "scales".

I do have a fair amount of non-SF stuff - loads of early '80s fantasy stuff by Citadel etc, a samurai army in 15mm and a lot of the old Dixons and L5R Clan Wars 25mm ranges (several hundred I guess).

But I guess I should probably own up to being more interested in the quality of the game (game-play, I'm not really into simulations) than the aesthetics of the table-top. An Honourable Mention goes to DBM, where the battle lines tend to look and feel right.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I intend to do when I strip my old 2200 Klingons is drill holes into the edges of the wings and engine pylons, so I can add little stubs of wire when I epoxy the suckers back together (not a single engine stayed attached after 20 years of banging around).

Hopefully the addition of wire and epoxy will hold uo better than the old dot of super-glue method.

I really want to make the old minis useful for play again. I still like the old 2200 D-7 best and - Hey, why buy another B-10? Wink
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys got so many miniatures, how about some photos? (of your fleets Smile
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: OK, picture it is. Reply with quote

My money where my mouth was -

Normal resolution (580Kb) picture:
[gone - moved to PhotoBucket]

Huge file-size (2.17Mb) hi-res picture:
[gone - too much server space - sorry]

[EDIT 10/15/09 to point photo to PhotoBucket]

Last edited by djdood on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a distinct lack of paint in that picture Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36

Jump to: