Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Superion's Data File Art
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Starship Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Star Superion's Data File Art Reply with quote

I am doing up data file sheets for my own amusement but also for use with Federation Commander, in case anyone wants to start putting together a cool ship recognition book..

anyways, here is the 1st choice I have made, the Andromedan Dominator class!!

Shocked

One of the main reasons I have decided to work on the Andromedan ships is to also try to get better acquainted with their fundamental and basic common design characteristics.. this is because I'd love to design a proposed Decimator for submitting.. but I want to make sure that my knowledge of the Andromedan technology is matching... so I decided to make all the ships I have thus far seen in the miniature gallery and painting guides.. and then go from there..

this is kinda fun for me, as I am reverse engineering the Andro ships to figure out how the Decimator should or could look based on the existing technology already released..Any help from fellow members as to ships and classes of Anrdo designs I have yet to see would be great.

anyhow here is the first of the design sheets, I'd love to some day get all the fleets in this format, so slow and steady is the goal..

anyhow, I hope you like the Andromedan Dominator:

Next up for the design sheet is Data File 002, the Intruder!!

Last edited by Starsuperion on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful drawing. Nicely done, especially considering that you don't have the mini in front of you to reference off of.

However... I'd advise against posting anymore until SVC either gives you direction here or you email him and get direction there. He owns the copyright on the ADB designs and all shared/posted depictions of them have to have his permission. Right now ADB is planning a project named "Leanna's Fighting Starships" that will use art just like that (being done by Vance/Vanguard) and these could well be seen as a conflict with that.

Note how on my finished Federation Destroyer drawing, I both acknowledge the Franz Joseph copyright (which you did with ADB's), but I have also cleared my usage of it with his estate.

You've certainly got quite a bit of talent. If you don't give it away, you might get tapped to help with art some day.
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping he would do the same kind of drawings for his purple ships. The new race of his.

I would think SVC would be ok with that.

I would like to try scupting one of his purple ships myself.
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Beautiful drawing. Nicely done, especially considering that you don't have the mini in front of you to reference off of.

However... I'd advise against posting anymore until SVC either gives you direction here or you email him and get direction there. He owns the copyright on the ADB designs and all shared/posted depictions of them have to have his permission. Right now ADB is planning a project named "Leanna's Fighting Starships" that will use art just like that (being done by Vance/Vanguard) and these could well be seen as a conflict with that.

Note how on my finished Federation Destroyer drawing, I both acknowledge the Franz Joseph copyright (which you did with ADB's), but I have also cleared my usage of it with his estate.

You've certainly got quite a bit of talent. If you don't give it away, you might get tapped to help with art some day.

so I need to back off the stuff that has already been done..hmmm.. okay, no worries.. I was thinking tat this would be okay because they are images that have already been done, but I can place this on hold until I email SVC and see what he thinks..

I certainly don't want to tread on anything that anyone else is doing, and I want to make sure any credit for the design goes to who it belongs to..

I shall leave this up here, but not include anymore designs I have finished..

wedge_hammersteel wrote:
I was hoping he would do the same kind of drawings for his purple ships. The new race of his.

I would think SVC would be ok with that.

I would like to try scupting one of his purple ships myself.

no worries wedge, I got some other designs for that race "the Fel" that I will be uploading later..

and yeah not having the mini and having to do this from just looking on the pics on the website was hard to do.. I just hope that I could do the entire spread for fed comm. that would be awesome!!
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent SVC an email asking him what he wants me to do.. or what I need to do.. either way, I totally don't want to step on anyone's toes here... Sad
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, SVC says I'm good to go! so onward with the Andromedan fleet!!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create and I'm glad that SVC approved.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create and I'm glad that SVC approved.

THANKS MY FRIEND..

well here is the Intruder Hot off the presses!! Very Happy

djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you are working strictly 2D (Adobe Illustrator?), so these are mighty impressive - I like that you do good perspective shift on things like windows and hatches that get squeezed a lot in side views, etc. You could fool some folks into thinking these are from a 3D model, you've done so well.

If you've never seen it, my "test page" like this for LFS (using the old version of the Fed FF) is HERE, linked from my gallery page. In my case, it was modeled in 3D CAD software and the views come from that model.

I've also done strictly 2D stuff in FreeHand:

Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a very astute observation.. I am using strictly 2D dimensions in my art, all of my art actually is in 2D. Unfortunately I lack the sufficient funds to invest 5,000.00 in the latest 3D modeler programs.. an the time it would take to learn it would be immense, especially considering that I run my own title insurance closing company, and am trying to do my own comic books for capital comics studios, LLC.

the program I mainly use is corel Paintshop Pro 12, however I do have the latest Photoshop C3 I believe.. but I find that program way too involved.. though I'm sure many more things are possible..

To me, however in art and design.. much like the original series of Star Trek.. simple and less is sometimes more..and is held more as a favorite..

anyhow, "my soon to be," fiance (the love of my life Very Happy ) is an engineer.. though she is proficient on Auto CAD, I am more interested in using the programs I have become accustomed to.. though one day I'm sure I'll branch out further art wise..

I love your designs sheets, and the FF is a cool image, i don't think i have ever seen that particular class before now..

but yeah back to these.. I have to seriously "eye Ball" the dimensions and make sure from my perspective that it looks reasonably accurate.. though I'm sure if Measured it would not be..

Last edited by Starsuperion on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ravenhull
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood, that picture is a facinating look at the process of building a new mini.

Star, welcome aboard and great work there.

Donovan Willett, USS Alabama
Starsuperion
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenhull wrote:
djdood, that picture is a facinating look at the process of building a new mini.

Star, welcome aboard and great work there.

thanks man, and yeah DJ's art reference for the miniatures is awesome and accurate to a "T" great job!

it's great to be aboard! Very Happy
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff man! Want to see more.

UPFY
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Andromedan sketches look outstanding - especially the one for the Dominator!

My Magellanic imaginary friends* might be cursing the sight of them, however...

*Note: I do not actually have imaginary friends, Magellanic or otherwise!
Baz Baziah
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Andro sheets are fantastic, can't wait to see more of them. I wish I could do stuff like this.

Keep up the good work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Starship Art All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: